The Falcons have been given permission to interview Jason Garrett by the Cowboys

Vicious

Thanks--I hadn't seen that yet. I wonder if Jason will agree to the interview. I know it must be held before Saturday, or it can't happen until after Dallas is either finished or the off week prior to the Super Bowl. I know AB is interviewing Sparano tomorrow. I found this interesting as Parcells is also interested in him. This is getting very interesting to say the least. Do you think Singletary has been called yet? No matter what, it sounds like there are a lot of great prospects out there and not a lot of openings. Just a matter of finding the right fit--a good coach who can also relate to the players and be strong enough to go through this rebuilding process. Thx again for sharing about Garrett.

Vicious (1/1/2008)
Superfan "! (1/1/2008)
According to the AJC, it is Tony Sparano, the Dallas OL coach, who will be interviewed.

We may be but unless that guy from espn was just starting a rumor he did say Jason Garrett and put a graphic up to reiterate it.

Blanks wants to interview Garrett just no word from him as of yet.

xfactor (1/1/2008)
Vicious (1/1/2008)
Superfan "! (1/1/2008)
According to the AJC, it is Tony Sparano, the Dallas OL coach, who will be interviewed.

We may be but unless that guy from espn was just starting a rumor he did say Jason Garrett and put a graphic up to reiterate it.

Blanks wants to interview Garrett just no word from him as of yet.

Just found this link confirming your story http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...s.6dea8842.html

Garrett would be a great choice, but shouldn't we be hiring a GM 1st? Or maybe, just maybe, for whatever reason it's being kept quite, we've already hired a GM? Maybe that GM's name is Accorsi? Maybe they just haven't agreed (completely) on dollar figures yet? Blank said himself that it's logical to hire a GM before a HC.

Something smells fishy.

birdweiserrr (1/1/2008)
Garrett would be a great choice, but shouldn't we be hiring a GM 1st? Or maybe, just maybe, for whatever reason it's being kept quite, we've already hired a GM? Maybe that GM's name is Accorsi? Maybe they just haven't agreed (completely) on dollar figures yet? Blank said himself that it's logical to hire a GM before a HC.

Something smells fishy.

That's what I was thinking too.

falcons4life (1/1/2008)
Oh joy, we are interviewing a guy with a whole THREE YEARS coaching experience.

Does anyone else see something wrong with that?

All the link I provided said was we were given permission but Garrett has not agreed to an interview yet.

"Garret has proven he can coach on the offensive side look at the cowboy's offense, "

So one single good year as an OC with guys like Terrell Owens, Romo, Barber, and a monster OL and youre ready to give him the keys to the Falcons.

He hasnt proven squat. One season doesnt mean a thing. Lets see him do it season after season.

Jim Mora did great with the Falcons his first year....so why isnt he here anymore?

Vicious (1/1/2008)
Superfan "! (1/1/2008)
I hope Jason shows up to the interview drunk and half naked and Blank says; "Somebody get Singletary on the line!":P:D

:w00t::w00t:LMAO

yeah but the top half not the bottom half, one man seeing another mans junk, i would'nt wish that on anyone. BTW would that be enough to qualify for freddie the falcon? i would'nt mind trying out this year if a replacement is needed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3175130

Dallas Cowboys assistant head coach Tony Sparano will interview with Atlanta Falcons officials on Friday for the opening.

Falcons officials on Monday requested and were granted permission by the Cowboys to discuss their vacancy with Sparano, who has been on the Dallas staff since 2003. Sparano is also a favorite of new Miami vice president Bill Parcells, and would likley receive an interview should a head coaching vacancy open with the team.

Sparano, 46, worked primarily with the Dallas offensive line this season. But under Parcells, he had much broader responsibilities and, while he didn't hold the title of coordinator, called the team's plays in 2006.

Although he has worked in the league only nine seasons, Sparano is widely respected for his offensive acumen, and his demeanor with players. Before joining the Dallas staff in 2003, Sparano worked with Cleveland (1999-2000), Washington (2001), and Jacksonville (2002).

The Falcons, who are seeking a new general manager as well, have also sought and been granted permission to speak with Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett about their head coaching spot. But Garrett, who is believed to be an early front runner to replace Brian Billick, dismissed by the Baltimore Ravens on Monday, has not yet agreed to the interview.

If Garrett does agree to meet with Atlanta officials, the interview will also take place Friday in Dallas.

Because the Cowboys have a bye in the playoffs, teams interested in interviewing their assistant coaches for head coach positions may do so this week. All interviews must be conducted by Saturday, however, and then the Dallas assistants will be off-limits until the team is eliminated from the playoffs or, if the Cowboys advance to Super Bowl XLII, the open week before that game.

Other early candidates for the Atlanta vacancy, which was created when Bobby Petrino resigned with three games remaining in his first NFL season, are believed to be defensive coordinators Mike Smith of Jacksonville and Jim Schwartz of Tennessee and Indianapolis assistant head coach Jim Caldwell.

Parcells, who fired Dolphins general manager Randy Mueller on Monday morning, will interview Dallas vice president of college and pro scouting Jeff Ireland on Tuesday, sources said. Ireland, who worked with Parcells in Dallas, is the leading candidate to become the Dolphins' new general manager.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

falcons4life (1/1/2008)
"Garret has proven he can coach on the offensive side look at the cowboy's offense, "

So one single good year as an OC with guys like Terrell Owens, Romo, Barber, and a monster OL and youre ready to give him the keys to the Falcons.

He hasnt proven squat. One season doesnt mean a thing. Lets see him do it season after season.

Jim Mora did great with the Falcons his first year....so why isnt he here anymore?

You have made a good point. Cam looked great in San diego not so good in Miami the players you have can make a coach look good. I like What Zimmer has done with a weak squad that we have in Atlanta. I would like him to stay as DC if possible I think he is a great coach.

falcons4life (1/1/2008)

So you think we're going to get Schottenheimer, Cowher, or some superbowl winner? THOSE GUYS AREN'T GOING TO COME HERE. Also, if only retreads were hired, no one would get a shot at all. Someone had to give Lovie Smith, Andy Reid (who had never been a coordinator at any level when hired), and Mike Tomlin (One year experience as a D coordinator) a chance too.

Cam Cameron had a long coaching pedigree when he came to the Dolphins. Head coaching, coordinator experience, all the prior experience you would want in a head coach. Today, he will most likely be fired for going 1-15. My point is, with all the coaching experience in the world, you just don't know.

birdweiserrr (1/1/2008)

Something smells fishy.

Great Choice??? I've got two words for you. MIKE SHULA..............one of the biggest losers to ever coach in the NFL.

"So you think we're going to get Schottenheimer, Cowher, or some superbowl winner? THOSE GUYS AREN'T GOING TO COME HERE. Also, if only retreads were hired, no one would get a shot at all. Someone had to give Lovie Smith, Andy Reid (who had never been a coordinator at any level when hired), and Mike Tomlin (One year experience as a D coordinator) a chance too.

Cam Cameron had a long coaching pedigree when he came to the Dolphins. Head coaching, coordinator experience, all the prior experience you would want in a head coach. Today, he will most likely be fired for going 1-15. My point is, with all the coaching experience in the world, you just don't know. "

Cowher isnt coming but Marty certainly might especially if we get Buddy Nix as GM.

Andy Reid had 17 years as a coach at various levels before getting a head coaching position. Lovie Smith 24 years. Mike Tomlin 12 years. See a trend forming?

Youre going to crucify Cam Cameron after a single season with a team that is possibly worse than the Falcons? What chances do you have as a coach when your GM selects a kick returner with your first round pick?

If we hire Singletary or Garrett and he stinks next year you going to give up on him so easily as well?

Bottom line is that hiring ANY coach is a crap shoot. You can increase your odds of making a smart choice by selecting someone who has EXPERIENCE.

Garrett and Singletary have 8 years combined as coaches. Neither one has the time in to be worth the risk right now. We need a guy who knows the job not one who is going to use the position to gain on the job training.