AJC retracted saying we have 3rd overall pick

g-dawg

I sent the AJC author an e-mail saying I thought he was wrong. He responded this morning and admitted the mistake.

I just checked on-line and AJC retracted the old story saying we have 3rd overall pick and now is reporting that Falcons are "vying" for 3rd pick - he told me in the e-mail that they will have coin flip tomorrow - I don't think he's right about that either, though. Usually settled at combine in February. stay tuned....

Falcons, Oakland, K.C. vie for third draft pick

By CHRIS VIVLAMORE

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 12/31/07

This story corrects an earlier version that inaccurately stated the Falcons had clinched the third pick in the 2008 draft.

The Falcons will select third, fourth or fifth in the 2008 NFL draft after a coin flip on Monday will be used to break a three-way tie.

The Falcons are tied with Oakland and Kansas City. All three teams, plus, the New York Jets, finished at 4-12. The Falcons, Raiders and Chiefs finished with identical strengths of schedule. The NFL has no other tie-breaker in the case of three-way ties. The Jets had a tougher strength of schedule than the three other teams and will pick sixth.

Miami (1-15) and St. Louis (3-13) will make the first two picks.

San Francisco and Baltimore both finished 5-11. New England, which owns the 49ers' first-round pick, will select seventh and the Ravens eighth based on strength of schedule.

Seven teams are tied with 7-9 records. Next are four teams at 8-8, including Houston. Since the Falcons receive the Texans' second-round pick from the Matt Schaub trade, they will also make a selection between 16th and 19th in the second round, pending tie-breakers.

2008 DRAFT ORDER

1. Miami

2. St. Louis

(tie) Atlanta/Oakland/Kansas City

6. N.Y. Jets

7. New England (from San Fran.)

8. Baltimore

Coin flip today? :blink:

Edit: Actually the Kansas City Star has a similar take on the situation:

Chiefs notes: Breaking down the draft

Breaking down the draft

The Chiefs will pick either third, fourth or fifth in next year s draft.

The Chiefs were one of four teams to finish 4-12, which was the third-worst record in the league. The top two picks will go to Miami (1-15) and St. Louis (3-13).

The Chiefs, Raiders, Falcons and Jets are next. The Jets will be the last of those teams to select thanks to a stronger schedule. Jets opponents won 133 games.

Chiefs, Raiders and Falcons opponents each won 132 games. That tie will be broken by the NFL s arcane procedures as soon as today.

The Chiefs haven t selected in the top five since 1989, when they drafted fourth and selected Alabama linebacker Derrick Thomas.

From what I've read, it goes on strength of schedule first. Then by division and conference records if still tied. If this is true we would have the 3rd pick. We have the worst division record of the three, and are tied for the worst conference record. Not sure if thats how they will determine it, but I read it somewhere.

analogk37 (12/31/2007)

yeah analog - I think Chris Vivlamore(AJC author) is wrong about that one too and I told him such. He responded back that he will call the NFL offices to confirm.

In years past, the coin flips are done at the NFL combine because that is the one time when all the GMs are at the same place at same time. No team wants a coin flip to be done if they are not present to watch it happen and verify

atlfalcon2184 (12/31/2007)
From what I've read, it goes on strength of schedule first. Then by division and conference records if still tied. If this is true we would have the 3rd pick. We have the worst division record of the three, and are tied for the worst conference record. Not sure if thats how they will determine it, but I read it somewhere.

your at least 12 hours behind, guy.....this is old news now. its a coin flip - go back and read the last 12 hours of posts......;)

g-dawg (12/31/2007)
analogk37 (12/31/2007)

yeah analog - I think Chris Vivlamore(AJC author) is wrong about that one too and I told him such. He responded back that he will call the NFL offices to confirm.

AH! You know I forgot I just remembered that I think the NFL changed the coin flip to an earlier date so that teams would not have to wiat so long to find out about where they will be picking , I am so glad for the change ! Seems like every time there is a coin flip we are in it. And I hate having to wait so long to start evaluating who I want , I'm sure that all the teams this happens to hates the wait as well . I think that that statment very well could be true. I can't wait to hear what pick it will be .;)

In years past, the coin flips are done at the NFL combine because that is the one time when all the GMs are at the same place at same time. No team wants a coin flip to be done if they are not present to watch it happen and verify

Draftnut57 (12/31/2007)
g-dawg (12/31/2007)
analogk37 (12/31/2007)

AH! You know I forgot I just remembered that I think the NFL changed the coin flip to an earlier date so that teams would not have to wiat so long to find out about where they will be picking , I am so glad for the change ! Seems like every time there is a coin flip we are in it. And I hate having to wait so long to start evaluating who I want , I'm sure that all the teams this happens to hates the wait as well . I think that that statment very well could be true. I can't wait to hear what pick it will be .;)

AH! You know I forgot I just remembered that I think the NFL changed the coin flip to an earlier date so that teams would not have to wiat so long to find out about where they will be picking , I am so glad for the change ! Seems like every time there is a coin flip we are in it. And I hate having to wait so long to start evaluating who I want , I'm sure that all the teams this happens to hates the wait as well . I think that that statment very well could be true. I can't wait to hear what pick it will be .

AH! You know I forgot I just remembered that I think the NFL changed the coin flip to an earlier date so that teams would not have to wiat so long to find out about where they will be picking , I am so glad for the change ! Seems like every time there is a coin flip we are in it. And I hate having to wait so long to start evaluating who I want , I'm sure that all the teams this happens to hates the wait as well . I think that that statment very well could be true. I can't wait to hear what pick it will be .

here's proof that he changed it again!

Falcons, Oakland, K.C. vie for third draft pick

By CHRIS VIVLAMORE

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 12/31/07

This story corrects an earlier version that inaccurately stated the Falcons had clinched the third pick in the 2008 draft.

The Falcons will select third, fourth or fifth in the 2008 NFL draft after a coin flip will be used to break a three-way tie. The date of the tiebreaking coin flip has yet to be announced.

The Falcons are tied with Oakland and Kansas City. All three teams, plus, the New York Jets, finished at 4-12. The Falcons, Raiders and Chiefs finished with identical strengths of schedule. The NFL has no other tie-breaker in the case of three-way ties. The Jets had a tougher strength of schedule than the three other teams and will pick sixth.

Miami (1-15) and St. Louis (3-13) will make the first two picks.

San Francisco and Baltimore both finished 5-11. New England, which owns the 49ers' first-round pick, will select seventh and the Ravens eighth based on strength of schedule.

Seven teams are tied with 7-9 records. Next are four teams at 8-8, including Houston. Since the Falcons receive the Texans' second-round pick from the Matt Schaub trade, they will also make a selection between 16th and 19th in the second round, pending tie-breakers.

2008 DRAFT ORDER

1. Miami

2. St. Louis

(tie) Atlanta/Oakland/Kansas City

6. N.Y. Jets

7. New England (from San Fran.)

8. Baltimore

g-dawg (12/31/2007)
the AJC author has now updated his article again and retracted saying coin flip on Monday.....(after I questioned him on that via e-mail

geez.....do i have to do all of the AJC's fact-checking? I really should get some type of compensation, don't you think?:D

I do think that the coin flip has bee nchanged thou, I think it is a lot sooner now. I hope I'm right on this . I hate not knowing which pick . I do know one thing , if it has not been changed , it needs to be . It is a disadvantage to the teams , they cannot put on their boards what to do , WE have ot study 3 times more players in order to have all situations covered on draft day.:(

g-dawg (12/31/2007)
analogk37 (12/31/2007)

Maybe Chris should just send you his paycheck next time since your fixing all of his screwups for him ;)

Draftnut57 (12/31/2007)
g-dawg (12/31/2007)
the AJC author has now updated his article again and retracted saying coin flip on Monday.....(after I questioned him on that via e-mail

geez.....do i have to do all of the AJC's fact-checking? I really should get some type of compensation, don't you think?:D

I do think that the coin flip has bee nchanged thou, I think it is a lot sooner now. I hope I'm right on this . I hate not knowing which pick . I do know one thing , if it has not been changed , it needs to be . It is a disadvantage to the teams , they cannot put on their boards what to do , WE have ot study 3 times more players in order to have all situations covered on draft day.:(

If you have a draft board you dont have to do more or less work.Its all there you still evaluate everybody on your radar.