What The Falcons Need to Do, Plus Inside on Flacco

Been awhile, but I only get on here for draft talk neways so watev.

So it looks like the falcons did the dumbest thing possible and won a game, this puts them in a position where it seems no one currently knows what selection we have. Heres my personal theory on the situation, we NEED a quarterback, Arthur Blank himself said it, so own up were getting one more than likley on the first, if you can't accept that your blind. Obviously Brian Brohm and Matt Ryan are the top twp candidates and I wouldn't complain with either. Our offensive line needs work, so if we end up having the sixth pick Long does begin to make sense with an aging Gandy.

But should we have the magical third pick, my only suggestion is take whichever of the three top players is there. Dorsey, Brohm, or McFadden. If we're there, at least one has to fall to us. Take whichever theyre the best and just live with BPA, cause needs hasnt worked for us recently if you couldnt tell.

Now as promised here's my inside on Flacco. I go to the University of Delaware, actually saw the guy at a party once. But anyways I've been at every game of his Delaware career. The thing pro scouts love comparing him too is Big Ben cause he can stand up. They aren't lieing the guys freaking huge and will not go down with the first hit. Personally I don't think that's even near his best quality, his arm is amazing, he can chuck it 50 yards in the air with ease. But my personal favorite trait of his is that he's smart. He just does not throw the ball into defenders hands, and does not give easy interceptions. He'll get dicey with his throws and gamble a little, but not much and when he does he can laser it to a reciever.

Now the down side. He holds onto the ball too long. He thinks no one can take him down, holds onto the ball waiting for a play to develoop and sometimes it doesnt. Sack lunch. I literally saw him run in the backfield for over 20 seconds once, and then throw a ball 55 yards in the air into the end zone, course the WR dropped it so thats not making any highlight reel. the other downside is that sometimes he's a little slow to let himself run, he'll hold on wait for WR, when the middle of the field parts like the red sea for him. I've also noticed he stares down his reciever often. Obviously things that can be coached out of him, but flaws none the less.

Overall I'm not sure how Flacco will do in the NFL. He has the intangibles no doubt (how we got lucky enough to get him instead of Pitt Im still happy about,) but coaching him will make or break this guy.

Flacco is overrated, why did this guy leave Pitt anyways? Couldn't beat out Tyler Palko? His stats are good, but not outstanding. If this guy wants to impress me I want to see incredible numbers versus the likes of Monmouth and Towson! Put Chad Henne or Erik Ainge versus these worthless teams and we'll see them put up superior numbers in comparison.

This guy has yet to be tested the only teams he faced worth noting is Navy and Appalachian State, whereas Henne and Ainge have been 4 year starters versus legit competition.

This forum is rediculous, Flacco is a 5th round pick. Every year this forum hypes up people who have no business being hyped. I bet he gets picked off a ton at the senior bowl.

CanadianFalcon19 (12/31/2007)
Flacco is overrated, why did this guy leave Pitt anyways? Couldn't beat out Tyler Palko? His stats are good, but not outstanding. If this guy wants to impress me I want to see incredible numbers versus the likes of Monmouth and Towson! Put Chad Henne or Erik Ainge versus these worthless teams and we'll see them put up superior numbers in comparison.

This guy has yet to be tested the only teams he faced worth noting is Navy and Appalachian State, whereas Henne and Ainge have been 4 year starters versus legit competition.

This forum is rediculous, Flacco is a 5th round pick. Every year this forum hypes up people who have no business being hyped. I bet he gets picked off a ton at the senior bowl.

You are kidding me right, Ainge and Henne have both had horrible years, the system Flacco plays in doesn't require him to throw the ball as much as Brennan so he doesn't get the hype brennan gets, sure hes not the finished article but let him sit and learn for one year and **** sho you what he can do we can definately help make QB's better look at ow Redman did this year and he was selling insurance before.

Holding the ball and waiting for a play to develop is not that bad. Look at Harington. He would get rid of the ball 5 yards on a slant and get our WR head knocked off. I'm not sure what kind of receivers Flacco has but if you get some one like Robinson on a post fade it's gona be a big play. Besides if we don't get a big name Qb in FA Redmen is our guy. And last time I checked that Mammoth team Michigan got beat by Appalachian State.

Chris Flemming (12/31/2007)
Now the down side. He holds onto the ball too long.

Adjusting to the speed of the NFL is the biggest hurdle for QBs.

Making quick decisions at the college level is no gurantee that a QB will be able to do it at the pro level.

On the other hand, if a QB is slow to make decisions at the college level, it should throw up a red flag that he might have problems with the speed of the game at the NFL level. If nothing else, this would indicate that Flacco is more of a developmental project (mid-late round) than someone you would want to use an early pick on.

You are kidding me right, Ainge and Henne have both had horrible years, the system Flacco plays in doesn't require him to throw the ball as much as Brennan so he doesn't get the hype brennan gets, sure hes not the finished article but let him sit and learn for one year and **** sho you what he can do we can definately help make QB's better look at ow Redman did this year and he was selling insurance before.

Do you actually watch games or look up stats? If so whose are these:

2006 233 348 2989 67.0 8.59 84 19 9 13 151.95

2007 300 476 3157 63.0 6.63 65 29 10 3 134.64

versus

2006 264 417 2783 63.3 6.67 59 18 10 23 128.82

2007 331 521 4263 63.5 8.18 84 23 5 25 144.91

For the uninitiated, the top stats are Ainge's last two years vs. Flacco's. Comparable, huh? Against two very different levels of competition.

And BTW, UT was a very young team this year which will explain a bit of a drop in Ainges' stats.

Are stats everything? Absolutely not. But as far as physical and stat comparisons, Flacco and Ainge are similar, and Ainge didn't transfer to a D2 school to start.

Personally i think neither are studs, but either could be Derek Anderson or Matt Hassellback type QBs--solid. I give the nod to Ainge earlier because of experience against competition and coaching. Less of a project.

Ainge is a second to third rounder. Flacco may go higher than should in the 2nd because of hype.

But for the record Ainge didn't have a horrible year and has a good chance to be a nice pro

I've off the Flacco bandwagon.

Joe Flacco

264/417

2783 yards

63.3 comp percentage

6.67 YPA

18 TDs

10 INT

128.82 passer rating (37th in D-1AA)

331/521

4263 yards

63.5 comp percentage

8.18 YPA

23 TDs

5 INT

144.91 passer rating (23rd in D-1AA)

Only two year starter

Didn t even put up dominant stats at the D-1AA level.

Only thing he has going for him is his enamoring height and arm strength.

IOW, there is a Joe Flacco in every draft

Gimmesomo (12/31/2007)
Is there anyway you can get the inside scoop on Josh Johnson?

Seriously.

I haven't found any QB prospects who can match his numbers in HIGH SCHOOL.

I don't care what competition he faced, those numbers have to count for something.

Can't wait to see him get a shot at the exhibition games.