Mort just reported

67camaro

67camaro (12/30/2007)
The Falcons are going to interview Singletary, Dallas OC Jason Garrett, and Colts QB coach Jim Caldwell this week, or at least ask to interview them.
Sounds like a step in the right direction. But who's going to be the GM? I was under the impression that the new GM was going to aid in the coaching search.

freeze1st (12/30/2007)
67camaro (12/30/2007)
The Falcons are going to interview Singletary, Dallas OC Jason Garrett, and Colts QB coach Jim Caldwell this week, or at least ask to interview them.

Did I hear him right when he said the Falcons are gonna keep Rich Mckay and sign him to a contract extension??????

I did not see it but can someone confirm this?

Absolute (12/30/2007)
freeze1st (12/30/2007)
67camaro (12/30/2007)

Did I hear him right when he said the Falcons are gonna keep Rich Mckay and sign him to a contract extension??????

I read or heard that he could get an extension but will not be involved with player personnel or the hiring of coaches. The new GM will be in charge of those things.

The Kid with the Golden Arm (12/30/2007)
67camaro (12/30/2007)
Sounds like a step in the right direction. But who's going to be the GM? I was under the impression that the new GM was going to aid in the coaching search.

I was thinking the same thing. It makes me wonder whether an agreement with our future GM has already been struck.

Absolute (12/30/2007)
freeze1st (12/30/2007)
67camaro (12/30/2007)

Yes, you head right McKay got a contract extension, but not as a GM.

Mort also said that Atlanta would ask for permission to speak with Baltimore DC Rex Ryan

Which means Mort really is pulling crap out of a hat, because in another 7 hours, the season will be over for most candidates and we don't need permission unless it's a lateral transfer type job. Do you think Ryan would come here to be our DC, which means Zimmer probably is our new HC if we're doing that. For some reason, I don't see that scenario happening though.

celtik

birdweiserrr (12/30/2007)
67camaro (12/30/2007)

I know thats wrong. The Colts QB coach is Peyton Manning. ;)

I am looking at the list and it boils down to two in my opinion as Head Coach.

Singletary : He's been an assistant coach for a losing team which I have to add that since the 49ers have been losing so much and if he's such a great coaching candidate then "Why hasn't he been asked to coach the 49ers next season"????? I would say the 49ers administration is just that stupid but I have to compare team records and ours isn't any better when it comes to the win column.

Jim Caldwell : I know very little about the man except he's been coaching with the Colts and he is a proven winner, how he would react coming to the Falcons is beyond me, I mean if he's the QB coach for Peyton Mannning then you might as well mark on your list of 1st pick in the draft a QB I would think from what little I've heard.

I just don't think we need anymore coaches from Dallas having anything to do with the Falcons. The Cowboys as much as I can't stand them have a track record of coming back from bad seasons to make the playoffs year after year and I respect their ability to identify talent, not only with players but coaches also, in other words if they let the coach go then he's not worth taking.

That's just my two cents worth.

Thoughts?

67camaro (12/30/2007)
Absolute (12/30/2007)
freeze1st (12/30/2007)
67camaro (12/30/2007)

Yes, you heard right McKay got a contract extension, but not as a GM.

I could have sworn Mort said "GM" with no exceptions whatsoever. Not sure though maybe they will report it again. Anyone who has all the facts please post it????

celtiksage (12/30/2007)
Mort also said that Atlanta would ask for permission to speak with Baltimore DC Rex Ryan

Which means Mort really is pulling crap out of a hat, because in another 7 hours, the season will be over for most candidates and we don't need permission unless it's a lateral transfer type job. Do you think Ryan would come here to be our DC, which means Zimmer probably is our new HC if we're doing that. For some reason, I don't see that scenario happening though.

celtik

Teams still ask for permission as a courtesy deal.

freeze1st (12/30/2007)
67camaro (12/30/2007)
Absolute (12/30/2007)
freeze1st (12/30/2007)
67camaro (12/30/2007)

Yes, you heard right McKay got a contract extension, but not as a GM.

I could have sworn Mort said "GM" with no exceptions whatsoever. Not sure though maybe they will report it again. Anyone who has all the facts please post it????

I read or heard today (again) that McKay may be given an extension as VP but will not be the GM. I think it's been made more than clear that we will hire a new GM. We've even hired Accorsi to help us find a new GM. McKay is out as GM. Gone. He will (from what I've heard) be offered an extension as VP but will not be allowed to handle the GM duties.

-- kffl.com

Falcons | Caldwell a possible candidate for head coach

Sun, 30 Dec 2007 08:32:31 -0800

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports Indianapolis Colts assistant head coach and quarterbacks coach Jim Caldwell is a possible candidate for the Atlanta Falcons vacant head coaching job.

Falcons | Team will ask to talk with R. Ryan this week

Sun, 30 Dec 2007 08:31:43 -0800

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports the Atlanta Falcons will ask to talk with Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan about their vacant head coaching position this week.

67camaro (12/30/2007)
All are good candidates. But do you really think Caldwell will be a good HC? Maybe a good OC. Mannings success is not mainly because of his coach. He is a great player.

I'd believe Arthur Blank's statement over Mort's. Under no circumstances is McKay going to be retained as GM, no matter who we bring in in the future. He is going to be President or something and continue to work on improvements to the dome. And he might hire cooks or something for the cafeteria, but not much more than that.

McKay is done selecting any sort of football talent for our Falcons. If he plays any role at all, it will only be as a consultant, after we've been turned down by every possible GM candidate out there and the search for our GM is still incomplete going into the draft.

celtik

frankthetank966 (12/30/2007)
67camaro (12/30/2007)
All are good candidates. But do you really think Caldwell will be a good HC? Maybe a good OC. Mannings success is not mainly because of his coach. He is a great player.

I don't know much about Caldwell, but he has been a successful Coordinator and he has worked under Tony Dungy. If there is a better resume out there, let me know.

frankthetank966 (12/30/2007)
67camaro (12/30/2007)

So what are you saying? Are you saying if we would have had Peyton Manning with this O-line we've had this season for the Falcons that he would have played just as well and the Falcons would be in the playoffs?

celtiksage (12/30/2007)

I'd believe Arthur Blank's statement over Mort's. Under no circumstances is McKay going to be retained as GM, no matter who we bring in in the future. He is going to be President or something and continue to work on improvements to the dome. And he might hire cooks or something for the cafeteria, but not much more than that.

McKay is done selecting any sort of football talent for our Falcons. If he plays any role at all, it will only be as a consultant, after we've been turned down by every possible GM candidate out there and the search for our GM is still incomplete going into the draft.

celtik

Thanks for the input, I have been sitting here thinking the exact same thing. This is really shotty reporting by Mort. He's starting to remind me of Ron Burgandy from the movie Anchorman here lately. If you've seen that movie you'll know what I mean. "You stay classy Atlanta", ofcourse if you've seen the movie and he reminds you of the character then he's basically reading the teleprompter and saying "Go #### yourselves Atlanta".