Moreno won't mind sharing carries and Georgia Report.

SacFalcFan

GEORGIA REPORT

Moreno won't mind sharing carries

Lumpkin, Brown to get shots at undersized Hawaii defense

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 12/29/07

New Orleans Knowshon Moreno says he is ready to share the ball with Brown and others against Hawaii. Almost every analyst who has broken down this game has said Moreno should get a least 30 carries against an undersized Hawaii defense that gave up 261 yards rushing to Washington in the regular-season finale.

"Oh, that's cool, but we have a lot of good backs like Thomas Brown and Kregg Lumpkin who can make things happen," said Moreno, who had 1,273 yards rushing as a redshirt freshman.

Stafford: Red-zone opportunities critical

Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford said it will not be enough for the Bulldogs to simply control the football against Hawaii in Tuesday's Sugar Bowl. Knowing that Colt Brennan and a high-octane offense are on the other side of the field, Georgia has to be aggressive and score points every chance it gets.

"Controlling the ball is huge for us, but when we get into the red zone, we have to get touchdowns," Stafford said Friday. "We can't be kicking a bunch of field goals, because you know the other guy is going to score touchdowns."

Mike Bobo, Georgia's offensive coordinator, said that subject came up in Friday morning's staff meeting before practice at the Superdome.

"Coach [Mark] Richt asked me about that," Bobo said. "We want to control the ball, but we've also got to get points, preferably touchdowns."

Before the Florida game, the offense talked about controlling the ball for 40 minutes and scoring 40 points. Georgia came up short of that goal with just over 32 minutes in time of possession and 42 points.

In order to do that, Stafford said, Georgia must remain aggressive.

"We want to control the ball, but if there is a chance to make a big play, we have to take our shot," Stafford said.

Bailey well aware of Hawaii's 1,000-yard trio

In case you wondered, Georgia's Sean Bailey is aware that Hawaii has three players (Davone Bess, Ryan Grice-Mullen, Jason Rivers) with more than 1,000 yards receiving. Those three players have combined for 283 catches and 3,617 yards receiving.

Georgia, by contrast, has had 17 players with at least one catch this season. Collectively, they have caught 185 passes for 2,404 yards.

"Yeah, we've heard a lot about their receivers. As a receiver, you'd love to play in an offense like that," said Bailey, Georgia's leading receiver with 37 catches for 597 yards. "But we're here and we're winning, and to me that's all that matters. But you have to admire how explosive that offense really is."

Degree in hand, Brown seeks a grand exit

Georgia running back Thomas Brown has completed his undergraduate degree in speech communications. He took 21 hours in the fall semester in order to graduate in December and clear the decks as he prepares for the NFL combine.

"It [professional football] has been a dream of mine since I was 8 years old and watched Barry Sanders run," said Brown, who has battled injuries the past two seasons but has 2,573 yards rushing in his career. "But first I want to win this game and go out strong with this group of seniors. People always remember what you do last. And I want them to remember me."

Stafford wants tour of Katrina's wake

This is Stafford's first trip to New Orleans. Before he returns to Athens, the Georgia quarterback said he would like to see some of the areas hit hard by Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

"We ate at a place last night [Dicky Brennan's Steakhouse] that was under water, so this part of town seems to have done all right," said Stafford, a native of Dallas. "But I'd really like to see the other areas before I leave."

I love Lumpkin and appreciate all he has done for UGA but you have to dance with the person that brought you. I want Moreno carrying the load with Brown spelling him. I have nothing against Lumpkin, I just think it would be a mistake to give him carries for sentimental reasons. I want to win, not make everyone on the team happy.