Why Matt Ryan should be the Falcons QB of the future

MP4413

You Need a marquis player to build around and be the "face" of franchise..

You could make a good argument for McFadden (see what AP has done for Minnesota as a rookie), but in the NFL, it's all about your QB, especially given the short shelf-life of NFL RB's.

I think you do take Matt Ryan if you're the Falcons. He's not just a prototypical QB for the league, he's the character and image you want as the face of the franchise. And the image of the Falcons is as important as the product on the field for the near term. He solves near-term image and long-term QB position problems.

Next thing you do is get rid of Joe Horn and DeAngelo Hall. Somehow, those two jokers have suddenly become the faces of the franchise and Blank will never earn favor of the city back if those two are around. I'm a huge fan of Hall as a player, but he's got to go for the health of the organization.

Get Ryan in here, get him in the playbook, and get him on camera and involved in community/charity events until he simply can't do it any more. And have Warrick Dunn there with him every step of the way.

Ryan needs to be the first step in the rehabilitation of this franchise.

MP4413 (12/29/2007)

You could make a good argument for McFadden (see what AP has done for Minnesota as a rookie), but in the NFL, it's all about your QB, especially given the short shelf-life of NFL RB's.

I think you do take Matt Ryan if you're the Falcons. He's not just a prototypical QB for the league, he's the character and image you want as the face of the franchise. And the image of the Falcons is as important as the product on the field for the near term. He solves near-term image and long-term QB position problems.

Next thing you do is get rid of Joe Horn and DeAngelo Hall. Somehow, those two jokers have suddenly become the faces of the franchise and Blank will never earn favor of the city back if those two are around. I'm a huge fan of Hall as a player, but he's got to go for the health of the organization.

Get Ryan in here, get him in the playbook, and get him on camera and involved in community/charity events until he simply can't do it any more. And have Warrick Dunn there with him every step of the way.

sorry dude but RYAN is horrible. hes stats arnt that great and hes only been doing it for 2 years

Brohm has been doing it since he waas a Frosh.

grendel (12/29/2007)
Is it because his less than 2-to-1 TD / INT ratio is so impressive? Maybe it's his sub-par 7 Yards Per Attempt? Was it watching his incredible performances against Virginia Tech? Was it the 2 INTs he threw against ARMY?

Yeah, what a franchise QB prospect! He's the next Rex Grossman!

keep on throwing meaningless stats out there, we'll continue to watch the games. He's the best QB in this class and definately the most NFL ready. He had a ****** team around him and got no help at all. BC is a 4 win team without him. but with that being said i am against drafting anny QB in the first round, they are a disaster much more than they are a success. They're failing miserably at around a 2 to 1 ratio now, and that one out opf 3 that doesnt fail is no guarantee to be a superstar.

Free agency or the later rounds are the ways to go for a qb.

grendel (12/29/2007)
Is it because his less than 2-to-1 TD / INT ratio is so impressive? Maybe it's his sub-par 7 Yards Per Attempt? Was it watching his incredible performances against Virginia Tech? Was it the 2 INTs he threw against ARMY?

He's the best QB in this class. F' the stats. He has no one around him and they still won 10 games. They'll be lucky to win 5 games next year.

He's a winner, plays an in NFL style offense, and is everything the Falcons need inthe marquee position

johnson_to_finneran (12/29/2007)
grendel (12/29/2007)

keep on throwing meaningless stats out there, we'll continue to watch the games. He's the best QB in this class and definately the most NFL ready. He had a ****** team around him and got no help at all. BC is a 4 win team without him. but with that being said i am against drafting anny QB in the first round, they are a disaster much more than they are a success. They're failing miserably at around a 2 to 1 ratio now, and that one out opf 3 that doesnt fail is no guarantee to be a superstar.

Free agency or the later rounds are the ways to go for a qb.

Disagree on FA and late-rounds on a QB. Romo and Brady are exceptions to the rule.

Bloodhoundz Reborn (12/29/2007)
So it was DeAngelo Hall holding the health of this franchise back for all these years. :ermm:

Anyway back to the topic as a VT Fan I don't see Bust written all over Matt Ryan at all he will surprise a lot of Falcon Fans on this board when his career is over. If we take him I won't complain at all.

Good to see that you're on board. :D

I think he is the best QB in the draft , but I'm against us taking one in the first . QBs have to high of bust % . And the last thing we need is to lose our 1st round pick . I'm for taking a more for sure player in the 1st and then trade back up for a good one . Even take one in the 2nd but not with our top 5 pick .JMO

Here's how I would make my ist rd board today :

1. RB McFadden

2. DT Dorsey

3. DT Ellis

MP4413 (12/29/2007)
So it was DeAngelo Hall holding the health of this franchise back for all these years. :ermm:

Anyway back to the topic as a VT Fan I don't see Bust written all over Matt Ryan at all he will surprise a lot of Falcon Fans on this board when his career is over. If we take him I won't complain at all.

Good to see that you're on board. :D

The 1st half of the 2nd game against VT made me buy into the Ryan talk. Even though they ended up losing he showed he had good mobility as he used his legs a lot in that 1st half to keep drives alive by running or buying time to throw. He's smart on the field doesn't he sometimes call his own plays? Like I said I think he's the real deal.

MP4413 (12/29/2007)

Somehow I doubt that. Winning does more to rehabilitate a franchise's image than shaking hands and kissing babies. McFadden will help us to win next season instead of waiting 2 yrs or more on a young QB to develop. Besides, Ryan told Brad Nessler during an interview about the Falcons needing a QB and he said he wanted no part of that. So you can scratch him off of the wish list. Also, a good RB can be the face of a team. Because LT, Reggie Bush, Adrian Peterson and Larry Johnson are the best players on their team and are marketed as such. Guess who was the marquis player in the the Falcons 98 SB run. Here's a hint: It wasn't Chris Chandelier. ;)

hahah get rid of Hall our defense would suck even more....he is the only player along with boley that plays with heart..you obviously dont watch the games much, look at his energy going into the game and look at our other players? CROCKER? hahah comon hes sorry and also dont bring MATT RYAN, why another Joey Harrington, get Dennis Dixon if you want this franchise to do something next year because our O line cant improve over a year so get a mobile QB not a sorry pocket passer....

Matt Ryan is just a good QB. A pick that high should get a great player. We need to draft the best player available, and not restrict our option to QB only. I don't think there's much difference between QB's 1-4 this year. Brohm, Woodson, or Brennan would be just fine with me.

dude is not bad, but he is not worth a 2nd-4th pick, and you know that.

MP4413 (12/29/2007)

Just remember the trend with QB's. The ones that rock in College, struggle in the NFL, the OK QB's and the undrafted end up in the Hall of Fame. It's just too unpredictalble to say we have to have "this guy". Now in our situation I do agree that we need to pick a QB early, but I'm thinking more like Colt Brennan, or Dennis Dixon, or Andre Woodson if they fall to round 2. How ever if I could have any QB in the second round, I would take Ryan. Oh well,....The draft is going to be good fun if nothing else. I mean, we can't go anywhere but up IMO.:D

yumf (12/29/2007)
Matt Ryan is just a good QB. A pick that high should get a great player. We need to draft the best player available, and not restrict our option to QB only. I don't think there's much difference between QB's 1-4 this year. Brohm, Woodson, or Brennan would be just fine with me.

I would love to get Brennan and use our first pick for something else.