How would you draft for the 3-4?

I thought I would condense the ideas here.

My pick for the first round, whether it's a 4-3 or a 3-4 ATL will be running is James Laurinaitis. But what would you do? Quentin Groves in the first? Chris Long? I believe Babineaux would be a good fit at DE in the 3-4. Jamaal could be as well, or he could play OLB. Would you trade John Abraham or ask him to play OLB again? Don't forget about the cap hit.

Personally, I think our defense is solid in the 4-3, but I do believe this team is a lot more flexible for a change in defense philosophy than when Wade Phillips came aboard. Ideally, being able to change up would be great, and keep offenses off balance. To do so, though, you'd want at least one big rush OLB, and big DE's.

How would you transform the roster?

If we were to make the switch to the 3-4 (something I'm not a big fan of), I would go for Chris Long if he was available. I think he is the perfect fit for the 3-4. Also, a guy like Vernon Gholston would be an excellent pick.

I love Laurinaitis. I especially would love for us to get him if Singletary becomes the HC. Will Laurinaitis be able to get off blocks that would surely come his way in the 3-4 though?

scott24falcs (12/29/2007)
If we were to make the switch to the 3-4 (something I'm not a big fan of), I would go for Chris Long if he was available. I think he is the perfect fit for the 3-4. Also, a guy like Vernon Gholston would be an excellent pick.

I love Laurinaitis. I especially would love for us to get him if Singletary becomes the HC. Will Laurinaitis be able to get off blocks that would surely come his way in the 3-4 though?

Definitely Gholston or Long. That would have to be the first pick.

scott24falcs (12/29/2007)

If we are going to change to the 3-4 we gonna have to do it this year i would draft Laurinaitis still move brooking to the outside bring in another MLB in the third round and let Taylor start next to Laurinaitis at the beginijng of the season to se how he performs, Flacco in the second with another DT there aswell because is coleman even going to be here next season, in the 4th a back upfor Abe and i would sign as many Oline men as i could in FAgency, thats just how id do it, oh and get lance briggs he will leave Chicago this year and we do whatever it takes to get him

I believe there are several keys to running a great 3-4, and those are a great NT with big DE, and a great pass rush OLB.

I would trade Abraham for a late first.

If Groves runs the 4.4 that everyone is claiming he will be drafted early

I would draft

1. James Laurainitis MLB 6'3 248 (Will be great ILB)

1. Vernon Gholston OLB 6'4 258 (ABE trade he would be the pass rush OLB)

RDE- Jonathan Babaniux

NT- Trey Lewis

LDE- Jamal Anderson

OLB- Michael Boley

ILB- James Lauranitis

ILB- Stephen Nicholas

OLB- Vernon Gholston

CB- D. Hall

CB- C. Houston

SS- D. Stone

FS- J. Williams

I tried to use as many current players as possible.

Culain (12/30/2007)
I believe there are several keys to running a great 3-4, and those are a great NT with big DE, and a great pass rush OLB.

I would trade Abraham for a late first.

If Groves runs the 4.4 that everyone is claiming he will be drafted early

I would draft

1. James Laurainitis MLB 6'3 248 (Will be great ILB)

1. Vernon Gholston OLB 6'4 258 (ABE trade he would be the pass rush OLB)

RDE- Jonathan Babaniux

NT- Trey Lewis

LDE- Jamal Anderson

OLB- Michael Boley

ILB- James Lauranitis

ILB- Stephen Nicholas

OLB- Vernon Gholston

CB- D. Hall

CB- C. Houston

SS- D. Stone

FS- J. Williams

I tried to use as many current players as possible.

I'd love to see Laurinaitis and Gholston, but I think Gholston would go higher than what Abe could get Atlanta... so I think that would mean a trade up.

If we were to draft for a 3-4, the best answer would be "over a five year period." It would be a joke to try to draft a 3-4 defense considering not one member of our current front seven fits in a 3-4 other than Brooking, who obviously is no longer the best of our defense. The best way we could help our defense, whatever style we end up using in a few years, would be to draft a running back and offensive linemen to eat up clock and keep our defense off the field as long as possible. That being said, I don't support the switch and the one thing this team doesn't need is to distract itself fiddling with a new defensive scheme, this team needs balance and toughness beyond all else right now, not a really fast defensive end that might play linebacker.