Falcons New GM and Head Coach

Tim Parker

GMs: In hiring a GM, I think the Falcons need to go out and get the best. If you follow that train of thought, then the only person (the best person) to go out and get would be Scott Pioli. However, why would Pioli leave? He's got the best team in the NFL and close relationships with ownership and the head coach. To get Pioli, we would have to make him an offer he can't refuse: President and GM and partial ownership of the team. Is Blank willing to sacrifice that much control? I don't think so.

Next on the list: Reggie McKenze, Green Bay's Director of Pro Personnel. If you look at the results of the team that has been built, the past two or three years have been good in terms of the draft, but free agent acquisitions have been shakey. The question then has to be asked is how much of it has been McKenzie and how much of it has been scouting and the present GM, Ted Thompson? I'm far from sold on McKenzie.

Buddy Nix, San Diego's Assistant General Manager. Looking at the success of Nix, again the question has to be asked: How much of it was his responsibility? If we are wanting to get Schottenheimer as the head coach, he makes good sense. San Diego has been decent in the draft and free agency. If we hire Nix, chances are that we are going after Schottenheimer.

Jeff Ireland, Dallas' Vice President of College and Pro Scouting. I don't like the relationship that Blank has with Jerry Jones. Blank needs to review that relationship. Like Blank, Jones has big bucks. Like Blank, Jones is a control freak. But what Blank needs to realize is that Jones is only concerned about Jones, and he sees Blank as his one of his only "financial" rivals in the NFC. Screw the Cowboys. But I digress...Ireland has been in "charge" since 2005. If you look at the Cowboy's roster, you can't argue too much about the players that have been drafted. Good choice and it puts the screws on Jones.

Bill Kuharich, Chief's Vice President of Player Personnel. What has he done? The Chiefs suck!!! He's had success in the past, but that was in the past. How is that different from McKay?

Coaches: It's really going to be up to the new GM according to Blank. There are quite a few great coaches out there with head coaching/coordinator experience: Marty Schottenheimer, Jim Hasslet, Mike Zimmer, Rex Ryan, Jason Garrett, and Josh McDaniels. There are other names, but I have a problem with hiring a coach that hasn't been a coordinator.

Don't get me wrong, I like Mike Singletary. From everything I've read, he's a great guy and an excellent linebacker's coach, but I don't think he has enough experience. Same goes for Winston Moss. No coordinator experience.

I think we put too much into having OC/DC exp. Mora didn't have HC exp b4 he got the job.

I think he did good he just had the wrong OC/DC. The same thing with people talking about

not having exp being President of the USA. **** who has ever had exp b4 the first time they

have tried? But some have been good and some bad, but you gotta start somewhere. So I

think that we should ease up on the no exp. being a OC/DC b4. It can still be done.

Guest genn0226
gritblitzer (12/29/2007)
John Madden and Chuck Noll were never coordinators before they became head coaches.....

How'd that work out?

This reminds me a lot of the whole "Jimmy Johnson went 1-15 in his first season, don't worry about Petrino" argument.

How'd THAT work out? :rolleyes:

fideltom (12/29/2007)
Lord Dark Helmet (12/29/2007)
Thread # 1354 on the same subject.

just wait till we hire someone think how many threads there will be for people thinking the move is good and those thinking the move is bad, just gotta embrace it

That's what I'm thinking, especially if we hire someone who's not had an previous coaching experience...if that happens, this board will go into meltdown mode, new server be damned.

genn0226 (12/29/2007)

This reminds me a lot of the whole "Jimmy Johnson went 1-15 in his first season, don't worry about Petrino" argument.

How'd THAT work out? :rolleyes:

I didn't make that argument so I can't really identify with it....

I can't help or control what reminds you of something else....

How does that work out for ya?.....:rolleyes: