Mike Holmgren possibly out in Seattle ?

swiftkick

Seattle head coach Mike Holmgren could be coaching his final regular-season game on Sunday at the Georgia Dome.

The Seahawks have the No. 3 seed in the NFC playoffs wrapped up, but Holmgren will play to win anyway. There will be no wholesale benching of his starters.

It's that winning mentality that he developed under Bill Walsh and George Seifert at San Francisco, took with him to turn Green Bay back into Titletown and that now has the Seahawks set to make their fifth consecutive playoff trip.

In all, the former high school history teacher has coached as an assistant or head coach in five Super Bowls, winning three and losing two.

"At this stage in my life I'm taking it a year at a time," Holmgren said. "I've had talks with our own management, and they didn't tell me that they were particularly unhappy with me or anything, but I'm taking it a year at a time."

As the head man, Holmgren has taken three teams to the Super Bowl, winning Super Bowl XXXI with some gutsy play calling that kept Bill Parcells and New England off guard from the Packers' second play from scrimmage. Brett Favre hit Andre Rison on a 54-yard touchdown pass out of a four-wide receiver formation to set the tone for a 35-21 victory.

The Packers made it back to the Super Bowl the following season but couldn't stop Terrell Davis and Denver's cut-blocking line. The Packers were back after posting only two winning seasons in the 19 seasons before Holmgren was hired.

Holmgren, who had a talented staffs that included future head coaches Ray Rhodes, Jon Gruden, Andy Reid and Steve Mariucci, stayed for one more season before heading to the Great Northwest in 1999.

At the time, coaches around the league were seeking the combo-job of coach and general manager off of the success of Jimmy Johnson in Dallas. Parcells' comments the week of Super Bowl XXXI about "if they want you to cook the dinner, at least they ought to let you shop for some of the groceries" captured the era's thinking in the head coaching ranks.

Holmgren was hired as Seattle's executive vice president of football operations, general manager and head coach. The general manager part wasn't working out too well, and the GM part was dropped from his title before the 2003 season.

He led the Seahawks to Super Bowl XL, becoming just the fifth NFL coach to take two different franchises to the league's title game, joining Parcells, Dan Reeves, Don Shula and **** Vermeil.

This season the Seahawks are considered a long shot behind Green Bay and Dallas to reach the Super Bowl. But if they rediscover their running game with Shaun Alexander, Holmgren may get to hoist yet another Vince Lombardi trophy.

That would be a fitting way for him to go out, possibly clearing the way for Jim Mora to return to the head coaching ranks as his replacement.

"I've got to still have the fire to do this on the field," Holmgren said. "It's a little harder as you get older to deal with the losses. I think that's a real thing with coaches."

Holmgren is grateful for the opportunity Seahawks owner Paul Allen gave him.

"I'm not going to cheat anybody, because at the end of the season I've talked to the guys, they are going to give me a little time to think about this," Holmgren said. "I want to make sure that I let the dust settle before we decide anything, my wife [Kathy] and I. Then we'll make the call."

The Holmgrens have reunited in Seattle. His four daughters have all relocated to the city.

"I absolutely want to do the right thing for Paul Allen and this football team," Holmgren said. "That's kind of how

fideltom (12/29/2007)
I wonder how Mora will do in Seattle after taking over another team doing well will it go down hill for him again he does have their secondary playing well this year

He'll probably do better there due to the fact he won't have Knapp & Donatell as his coordinators.

I'm sure Seattle will probably keep the same OC & DC, if they name Mora as HC.

Holmgren has struggled with returning to coach the last couple of years. The issue for him is really his family. His wife and daughters are very involved in church and charity work (in fact, when Seattle was in Detroit for the SB, his wife and one daughter weren't there - they were out of the country working for a chairty).

I don't know if this will be his last year coaching or not - but if it is, I'd be surprised if he moved on to another coaching job next season.