Hindsight is 20/20, but lets look back on some of the mistakes of this regime

Headshot

2003: Arthur Blank fires Dan Reeves with 3 games left in the season after Reeves intentionally breaks Michael Vick's leg.

2003: Arthur Blank fires Wade Phillips at the end of the season after Phillips went 2-1 with a returning Vick. Phillips proceeds to go to San Diego where he creates one of the fastest, most intimidating defenses in the NFL, and then goes to Dallas where he coaches the Cowboys to their greatest start in their franchise's storied history and a 12-2 record thus far.

2004: Arthur Blank hires a guy named Jim Mora, who has had no previous NFL head coaching experience who then proceeds to bring in one of the worst offensive coordinators and defensive coordinators we have seen here in Atlanta. Despite this, we go 11-5 in Mora's first year and reach the NFC Championship Game.

2004: Arthur Blank signs Michael Vick to a cap-crippling 10 year $100 million+ contract

2006: Arthur Blank fires the entire coaching staff of the Atlanta Falcons after two mediocre and sub-par seasons.

2007: Arthur Blank signs Bobby Petrino, a college-level coach with an offense that has never worked in the NFL and who has no previous NFL head coaching experience.

Maybe a new head coach and QB is not all this franchise needs..

From my earlier reply to another post:

Think about the ridiculous decisions he has made since owning this team. Who is in his ear steering him in these decisions--McKay, plain and simple!!

Dumb decisions tacitly ok'd by Blank:

Vick's gargantuan contract renewal 1 year early in 2004

Brooking's salary

Ovie's record setting FB contract

Hurtwell's eye popping contract

P.P.

Mora Jr. hire

BP hire

Running Reeves out the way he did

Putting Vick above everyone else in the organization

OK'ing the Weiner/Mclure extensions

Brady Smith departure

PK--(i was OK with his departure since it seemed as much about $ as anything)

Handling of the Grady Jackson issue

So much love for Dunn and his contract

Blank also has/had a "blind eye" towards:

Vick's thug life

MeHall's antics/mouth/attitude

So many questionable decisions made by Blank. Face it, he's in over his head and makes poor choices with his circle of advisors. Yes, he lavishes the money and hype but the results speak for themselves.

Dan Reeves had to go -- 5 losing seasons out of 7 -- why would you want a coach who had more losses than wins is beyond me

Wade should have been given a chance I agree - but his success now is more due to the fact 90% of the Dallas team was already established - but he has made some improvements on it

I agree -- bad Coordinators

If the player deserved the contract then he deserved it

Petrino ---UGH!

To me the biggest screw up was hiring Bobby Petrino.

What were they thinking about when they hired the college coach? Remember how we didn't even hear he was a candidate until they hired him?

They hired him for the wrong reasons and are now reaping the benefits of the decision.

He was the "big name" offensive/QB guru that was brought in to coach Vick instead of the Falcons.

Whoever was involved in the Petirno hiring needs to be FIRED because they are morons and should not be trusted with sharp objects.

BruceReville (12/18/2007)
Dan Reeves had to go -- 5 losing seasons out of 7 -- why would you want a coach who had more losses than wins is beyond me

5 losing seasons out of 7 yes, but he had made the playoffs twice in his last 5 years, once all the way to the Super Bowl, the only time in our team's pathetic history. We had just drafted who we assumed would be our franchise quarterback, and he played great in Reeves' system. There is no reason he should have been fired for his franchise QB getting injured. I wonder if Indy would fire Dungy if Manning went down and they had a losing season.

Michael Vick didn't even deserve to look at a 10 year, 100 million dollar contract that was framed on a wall somewhere, much less be able to sign his name on one.

And who the heck is Jim Mora Jr?

I don't know, who said anything about a guy named Jim Mora Jr.?

Oh nevermind, I see that Itchy One did. Do you really not know who he is referring to though? Are you going to act THAT oblivious when everyone on this board knows exactly who he is talking about?

Headshot (12/18/2007)

5 losing seasons out of 7 yes, but he had made the playoffs twice in his last 5 years, once all the way to the Super Bowl, the only time in our team's pathetic history. We had just drafted who we assumed would be our franchise quarterback, and he played great in Reeves' system. There is no reason he should have been fired for his franchise QB getting injured. I wonder if Indy would fire Dungy if Manning went down and they had a losing season.

Michael Vick didn't even deserve to look at a 10 year, 100 million dollar contract that was framed on a wall somewhere, much less be able to sign his name on one.

Correction Reeves had a winning season his second - followed by 3 losing - then a winning - followed by a losing -- so that is 2 winning seasons out of 6 not 5 -- still I can't see how even with 2 in 5 is reason to keep him

Headshot (12/18/2007)
And who the heck is Jim Mora Jr?

I don't know, who said anything about a guy named Jim Mora Jr.?

Oh nevermind, I see that Itchy One did. Do you really not know who he is referring to though? Are you going to act THAT oblivious when everyone on this board knows exactly who he is talking about?

No it's just something I do everytime someone talks about a Jim Mora Jr -- just me being an @ZZ - Lol

Headshot (12/18/2007)

Correction Reeves had a winning season his second - followed by 3 losing - then a winning - followed by a losing -- so that is 2 winning seasons out of 6 not 5 -- still I can't see how even with 2 in 5 is reason to keep him

Because 1 of those playoff appearences he took us all the way to the Super Bowl. We had never even sniffed a Super Bowl before Dan Reeves. In fact the NFL forced the Falcons to something other than watch the game on Super Bowl Sunday.

We made the playoffs the year before he was fired and Michael Vick looked like he was going to "revolutionize" the QB position in Reeves' system. Then he went down with a broken leg, which was no fault of Reeves...yet he was fired for it.

He was fired because his star quarterback got hurt and because Rich Mckay signed Doug Johnson and Kurt Kittner as the backups.

Wade should have been given a chance I agree - but his success now is more due to the fact 90% of the Dallas team was already established - but he has made some improvements on it

I agree -- bad Coordinators

Petrino ---UGH!

are you saying wades success is similar to that of mora who took over a reeves built team then downgrade d

i agreed with it at the time, but not having Kerney this year has hurt so bad.

i'm not saying Anderson's a bust, but gotdamn we could've used that extra pass-rush this year. Abraham would be TWICE as effective if he had even a semblance of a threat starting at the other end.

i also might add that, had we somehow kept PK, we could've picked up P. Willis at MLB or filled one of these other glaring holes we have on both sides of the ball.

or, to really get into "hindsight is 20/20", imagine hiring Mike Tomlin instead of Petrino, keeping PK, signing Randy Moss, trade Vick for more picks and picking up Brady Quinn or somebody like that along with more o-linemen, and trading up one spot w/ the Vikes and drafting Adrian Peterson

grendel (12/18/2007)
Bloodhoundz Reborn (12/18/2007)
Cutting Boone Stutz this year. We were hot at the time,on a 1 game winning streak cut him and everything went DOWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN hill.

Stutz was cut by Seattle the day Petrino ran for the hills... coincidence?

Grendel great thinking, so not only does Petrino cut Boone from our roster, he got Boone cut from Seattle too.

THIS MAN MUST BE STOPPED!:angry:

XLDenaliReturns (12/18/2007)
i agreed with it at the time, but not having Kerney this year has hurt so bad.

i'm not saying Anderson's a bust, but gotdamn we could've used that extra pass-rush this year. Abraham would be TWICE as effective if he had even a semblance of a threat starting at the other end.

i also might add that, had we somehow kept PK, we could've picked up P. Willis at MLB or filled one of these other glaring holes we have on both sides of the ball.

or, to really get into "hindsight is 20/20", imagine hiring Mike Tomlin instead of Petrino, keeping PK, signing Randy Moss, trade Vick for more picks and picking up Brady Quinn or somebody like that along with more o-linemen, and trading up one spot w/ the Vikes and drafting Adrian Peterson

yea them rumors of vick going to oakland before the charges came up was a hot topic for a short while.too bad there wasnt any truth to it and it was just that , a rumor