What about head coaches that may get let go by other teams? Who do you like and not like?

halsey

Mike Nolan, John Fox, Brian Billick, Tom Coughlin are the only 4 I can think of that could get replaced by other organizations. Thoughts on any of these guys getting hired by the Falcons.

I don't know enough about Nolan, so i'll leave it at that. The other 3 seems like solid coaches. The Falcons could certainly do worse....and they have on many occasions.

Uhmmm....

All of those guys you mentioned would be fired for a reason. Most likely due to consecutive losing seasons.

I think it would be doubtful that the Falcons would hire a coach that someone just fired. What would you say in the press conference?

We're excited to have Coach Somebody here because of the way he led that team to a 4-15 record?

The only time something like that would be acceptable is in a Dungy/Schottenheimer situation where the coach was fired after several winning seasons for "political" reasons.

I like John Fox and Tom Coughlin and would be pleased if we hired either one of them to be our head coach.

Mike Nolan hasn't accomplished anything as a head coach, so no on him.

Brian Billick is such a jerk, I'd hate to have him as a coach, besides he failed to bring a successful offense to Baltimore, so he wouldn't be much good to us.

Dr John Zoidberg (12/18/2007)

Uhmmm....

All of those guys you mentioned would be fired for a reason.

Yeah, no team should ever hire a coach that has been fired by another team. The Colts should have never hired Dungy. The Patriots should have never hired Belichik. The Cowboys should have never hired Wade Phillips. The Falcons should never have hired Reeves.

halsey (12/18/2007)

Uhmmm....

All of those guys you mentioned would be fired for a reason.

Yeah, no team should ever hire a coach that has been fired by another team. The Colts should have never hired Dungy. The Patriots should have never hired Belichik. The Cowboys should have never hired Wade Phillips. The Falcons should never have hired Reeves.

You're missing my point. I wasn't referring to their ability to coach.

I was referring to how the organization would look to the fans. "So to make up for screwing up the last two coaching hires we now bring in a coach that just came off a 5 win season." Would that convince the Falcon fans that we've done the right thing or made another screw-up in the HC search?

Also every guy you just mentioned was not hired immediatley following a losing season, (except Reeves).

Dungy when hired by the Colts - no losing season

Bellichick to Pats - He was on the Jets staff as DC and was HC for the Jets for about 5 mins.

Phillips to Cowboys - Several years as SD's DC and they had an impressive defense.

halsey (12/18/2007)

You're missing my point. I wasn't referring to their ability to coach.

I was referring to how the organization would look to the fans. "So to make up for screwing up the last two coaching hires we now bring in a coach that just came off a 5 win season." Would that convince the Falcon fans that we've done the right thing or made another screw-up in the HC search?

Also every guy you just mentioned was not hired immediatley following a losing season, (except Reeves).

Dungy when hired by the Colts - no losing season

Bellichick to Pats - He was on the Jets staff as DC and was HC for the Jets for about 5 mins.

Phillips to Cowboys - Several years as SD's DC and they had an impressive defense.

The Falcons need to stop worrying so much about how things appear to the fans....or media for that matter. A coach should be hired based on coaching ability. It's not like the Falcons have a bunch of flawless coaching candidates banging on thier door. There is no perfect candidate out there.

You did list some, but my Giants friend hates Coughlin, and wished he was gone yesterday! The impact of things that have transpired here makes hiring a coach that just got fired because of losing record a very touch pick here. :w00t:

This fan base would roast everything associated with that hire if the losing trend continues. And that is likely even if they hire one with a winning record :)

Well , the 3 Coaches I want are all OCs , they are Rob Chudzinski from Clev, Jason Garret from Dallas and Bruce Ariens from the Steelers.

I agree with McKay that we should take OC over D# Coaches . It will be a huge mistake if we don't go O# Coach , and we need a good one at that and all three of these are 3 of the best available.

Of the coaches listed I would be happy with John Fox. Mike Nolan hasn't produced and Coughlin gets in too many disagreements with players ala Petrino. I find it funny that everybody on here assumes that Singletary is automatically the best candidate out there and I'm unsure what they are basing this on. If Parcells does come to the Falcons I think it would be unlikely that Singletary is the coach he chooses.