For those against Singletary b/che's never been a coordinator, Remember...

MP4413

Neither of them were coordinators when they became HC's(and never had been). THe highest position either of them had held was as QB Coach and that's what both of them were when they took their respective HC jobs. Anwe see the job they've done.

Remember that when you think less of Singletary. YOu shouldn't just b/c of the lack of ever being a coordinator.

Singletary is the right man for the job. He brings discipline, accountability, and FIRE!

MP4413 (12/18/2007)
Neither of them were coordinators when they became HC's(and never had been). THe highest position either of them had held was as QB Coach and that's what both of them were when they took their respective HC jobs. Anwe see the job they've done.

Remember that when you think less of Singletary. YOu shouldn't just b/c of the lack of ever being a coordinator.

Singletary is the right man for the job. He brings discipline, accountability, and FIRE!

I don't think less of him and wouldn't be pissed at the decision. I just want a proven coach with more experience if it is possible. People said the same thing about Mora when he was hired.

I'm not totally against giving him the job, but I do have my concerns. I posted the following in another thread on the matter:

There was a video someone posted of Singletary coaching Ray Lewis. Ray was screwing up and Mike was trying to motivate him to do it right. My problem is that the Defensive Coordinator had to call down to Singletary to tell him Ray was screwing up and to talk to him about it... otherwise Singletary would've had no clue. Mike was the LB coach at Baltimore... he shouldn't have to be told when a guy playing the position he is responsible for coaching is messing up... he should already be on the guy himself. Is he gonna know when to get on guys when he's a head coach or are the coordinators gonna have to tell him what's going on out there? Will the players still respect him and listen to him if they find out that the coordinators are actually the ones running things? I am not doubting Mike's greatness as a former player or as a motivator, but I'm just a little concerned about whether he knows enough about coaching to be ready for a Head Coaching position yet.

jbresette (12/18/2007)
MP4413 (12/18/2007)

I don't think less of him and wouldn't be pissed at the decision. I just want a proven coach with more experience if it is possible. People said the same thing about Mora when he was hired.

What coach w/Expereince will come here?

MP4413 (12/18/2007)
jbresette (12/18/2007)
MP4413 (12/18/2007)

I could see Schottenheimer coming here. He has turned horrible teams around before and I don't see that scaring him away if he wants to coach again.

What coach w/Expereince will come here?

Its not that I don't like him but we have some proven coaches out there and at this point, I'm sick of the experimentation. Seeing what the team and the fans have gone through, we need a proven HC to come in and fix the situation. Marty BY FAR fits the bill. Mike is cool but Marty is what we need.

red2play (12/18/2007)
Its not that I don't like him but we have some proven coaches out there and at this point, I'm sick of the experimentation. Seeing what the team and the fans have gone through, we need a proven HC to come in and fix the situation. Marty BY FAR fits the bill. Mike is cool but Marty is what we need.
I ask you, what coach w/experience will come here?

MP4413 (12/18/2007)
red2play (12/18/2007)

I could see Schottenheimer coming here. He has turned horrible teams around before and I don't see that scaring him away if he wants to coach again.

jbresette (12/18/2007)
MP4413 (12/18/2007)
red2play (12/18/2007)

He's too old(64). And this is gonna be a protracted re-building process. We need someone young and full of energy. Singletary.

k-train (12/18/2007)
I'm not totally against giving him the job, but I do have my concerns. I posted the following in another thread on the matter:

There was a video someone posted of Singletary coaching Ray Lewis. Ray was screwing up and Mike was trying to motivate him to do it right. My problem is that the Defensive Coordinator had to call down to Singletary to tell him Ray was screwing up and to talk to him about it... otherwise Singletary would've had no clue. Mike was the LB coach at Baltimore... he shouldn't have to be told when a guy playing the position he is responsible for coaching is messing up... he should already be on the guy himself. Is he gonna know when to get on guys when he's a head coach or are the coordinators gonna have to tell him what's going on out there? Will the players still respect him and listen to him if they find out that the coordinators are actually the ones running things? I am not doubting Mike's greatness as a former player or as a motivator, but I'm just a little concerned about whether he knows enough about coaching to be ready for a Head Coaching position yet.

Just look at Patrick Willis in San Fran(who's under Singletary's tuteledge). Nuff said.

MP4413 (12/18/2007)
jbresette (12/18/2007)
MP4413 (12/18/2007)
red2play (12/18/2007)

He's too old(64). And this is gonna be a protracted re-building process. We need someone young and full of energy. Singletary.

There are plenty of coaches that have coached past 64 years of age.

red2play (12/18/2007)
He's 64 with a wealth of experience. Even if he gives us Five years, that would be plenty for me. He could still help after that in a consultation role. Age doesn't matter. He has fire in the belly and is willing, I say go for it.
No thanks.

THe age scares me off.

He'd have to prove to me that he can go more then 3 years.

You could add marv Levy to the list with Reid, when he became the HC of the Bills he was the Special Teams coach. Took them to 3 SB.

Marty's Age worries me also, but with him you know what you are getting.

1. A coach that will get your team to the Playoffs almost every year.

2. A coach that will Loose in the Playoffs every year.

3. A very good Defensive team

4. A tough OL/DL

5. A Power running team

6. Somewhat boring

To be Honest, I would love to get Marty if we could name Singletary the DCAssistant HC

And when Mart retires he is ready to step in.

Culain (12/18/2007)
You could add marv Levy to the list with Reid, when he became the HC of the Bills he was the Special Teams coach. Took them to 3 SB.

Marty's Age worries me also, but with him you know what you are getting.

1. A coach that will get your team to the Playoffs almost every year.

2. A coach that will Loose in the Playoffs every year.

3. A very good Defensive team

4. A tough OL/DL

5. A Power running team

6. Somewhat boring

To be Honest, I would love to get Marty if we could name Singletary the DCAssistant HC

And when Mart retires he is ready to step in.

I like this idea, I'm just still sick Cower gave us the Heisman =(

MP4413 (12/18/2007)
The_ ATL (12/18/2007)
Mike Zimmer because if it isnt here it will be somwhere else.

One way or another he wont be the Falcons DC next season.

I think he'll be interviewed but I think in the end Singletary is the man.

I think so to but not because he is a better fit than Zimmer.

The_ ATL (12/18/2007)
MP4413 (12/18/2007)
The_ ATL (12/18/2007)
Mike Zimmer because if it isnt here it will be somwhere else.

One way or another he wont be the Falcons DC next season.

I think he'll be interviewed but I think in the end Singletary is the man.

I think so to but not because he is a better fit than Zimmer.

Why wouldn't Singletary be a better fit?

Zimmer knows the team better, has experience with it, knows how to run a portion of it, etc.....

All I hear is Singletary is firey, that don't win games. You cant call plays with your meenie eyes, or adjust defenses with them either. You cant rotate lines by looking mean and being a great former player.

Singletary will just be another mistake in a long list since Blank has taken over.

The_ ATL (12/18/2007)
Zimmer knows the team better, has experience with it, knows how to run a portion of it, etc.....

All I hear is Singletary is firey, that don't win games. You cant call plays with your meenie eyes, or adjust defenses with them either. You cant rotate lines by looking mean and being a great former player.

Singletary will just be another mistake in a long list since Blank has taken over.

Singletary knows defense too.