PS3 Firmware Update Released Last Night (v2.10)

Main Features Revised in System Software Version 2.10

A voice changing feature has been added to enable changing of your voice pitch during chat. You can adjust this setting under [settings] > [Accessory Settings] > [Voice Changer].

DivX and VC-1 (WMV) have been added as codecs that can be played under [Video.

You can now select [Type 3] under [bitmapping] in [settings] > [Music Settings].

The following formats all work: DivX, AVI, WMV, Xvid (not all), and MPG all work.

Some Features not mentioned by Sony:

Hidden Change #1: When you launch your browser, the background stays as your XMB background.

Hidden Change #2: Movie icon motions now work when they are categorized into folders.

Hidden Change #3: Space images were added to the music visual player. (Shown Below)

Hidden Change #4: There are Reports that you can now play PSone games on the PS3 HDD through remote play with your PSP.

http://dot50cal.the-horror.com/gaf/earth/5.jpg

5.jpg

http://dot50cal.the-horror.com/gaf/earth/2.jpg

2.jpg

http://dot50cal.the-horror.com/gaf/earth/3.jpg

3.jpg

The X360 is not a DivX Certified console.

With the X360, you can only PIRATED VIDEO IS ILLEGAL content from an external source. With the PS3, you can STORE and PLAY content from the HDD, an optical disc, etc.

That's why future PS3 games will utilize DivX in their videos (ie cutscenes).

Here's another feature of this update (not mentioned by Sony):

- You can now play all your PS1 games (disc games or downloaded games) via Remote Play on your PSP.

This means you can play them anywhere in the world on the PSP as long as you're connected to the internet. You can PIRATED VIDEO IS ILLEGAL the content on the PS3.

womfalcs3 (12/18/2007)
Main Features Revised in System Software Version 2.10

A voice changing feature has been added to enable changing of your voice pitch during chat. You can adjust this setting under [settings] > [Accessory Settings] > [Voice Changer].

Awesome, now all the little kids with squeeky annoying voices can sound like men....sorta;)

tipp78 (12/18/2007)

Awesome, now all the little kids with squeeky annoying voices can sound like men....sorta;)

Yeah, XBL on the original Xbox actually had this feature as well. It was axed when the 360 came out and for good reason. Sony will learn why its a horrible idea in... nwell, lets start a pool. I give it six months. Any other takers? :hehe:

Wow, the visual player looks sweet. I'll have to check that out later today.

womfalcs3, you seem to be into the PS3 stuff. I have a question (sorry for off topic).

Have you ever had luck to connect an external harddrive to your PS3? I can't figure it out. All my music is on it. Could it be because of the filesystem? I'd hate to format the whole thing.

Danishfalcon (12/20/2007)

womfalcs3, you seem to be into the PS3 stuff. I have a question (sorry for off topic).

Have you ever had luck to connect an external harddrive to your PS3? I can't figure it out. All my music is on it. Could it be because of the filesystem? I'd hate to format the whole thing.

It could be.

Due to legal issues, any storage device connected to the PS3 must be formatted to FAT32. NTFS won't work. My external HDD/flash drives are all formatted to FAT32 now since I don't really have any files that go over 4 GB in size.

You can always just take a little bit of time to transfer the files, format, then transfer the files back onto the HDD, or you can PIRATED VIDEO IS ILLEGAL the content over your network. You can PIRATED VIDEO IS ILLEGAL media from any computer on the LAN (wired or wireless), and play it through your TV via the PS3.

Maybe I can help as well...like womfalcs3 said, all you need to do is format the external hard drive to FAT32.

I have a 320 gb external connected to my ps3 that has 225 movies on it. All I did was convert the movies and put them on the external hard drive and bam! everytime I want to watch a movie, its all easily accessable.

womfalcs3 (12/20/2007)

It could be.

Due to legal issues, any storage device connected to the PS3 must be formatted to FAT32. NTFS won't work. My external HDD/flash drives are all formatted to FAT32 now since I don't really have any files that go over 4 GB in size.

You can always just take a little bit of time to transfer the files, format, then transfer the files back onto the HDD, or you can PIRATED VIDEO IS ILLEGAL the content over your network. You can PIRATED VIDEO IS ILLEGAL media from any computer on the LAN (wired or wireless), and play it through your TV via the PS3.

Legal issues? Isn't it because NTFS is a proprietary system owned by M$?

As womfalcs said, make sure your drive is FAT32 and you need MUSIC, VIDEO, PS3 and PHOTO folders named EXACTLY (yes including caps) as I typed them there. Put your things in the appropriate folder and they'll appear in the appropriate places on XMB.

btrain5489 (12/20/2007)
womfalcs3 (12/20/2007)

It could be.

Legal issues? Isn't it because NTFS is a proprietary system owned by M$?

As womfalcs said, make sure your drive is FAT32 and you need MUSIC, VIDEO, PS3 and PHOTO folders named EXACTLY (yes including caps) as I typed them there. Put your things in the appropriate folder and they'll appear in the appropriate places on XMB.

Yes. It's a legal issue because of Microsoft. FAT was also developed by MS... It's a matter of legality.

womfalcs3 (12/19/2007)
Because since the first Buy One Get One Free blu-ray deal, I have bought 10 blu-ray movies, and I believe.

I'm a full supporter of blu-ray.

It's no different than posting a 76ers avatar when you're some unaffiliated kid living outside of the US. It's to show support.

I guess you're right, I just find it kinda weird to be a firm supporter of a DVD format. Like of all the things you could support, I wouldn't think that would be one of them.

I equate it to posting a picture of a manual transmission because you support them over automatic ones. Just a strange thing to support. But I'm weird, so nevermind me.