Totaly confused about who to pick in the 1st

Brookhaven

Given how early we are drafting, I'm still not seeing anyone jumping out saying this is the guy we have to take. I would normally use an inside/out drafting method. Spend your higher picks on the lines and use your mid & late rounders to fill in around the lines.

OT? Jake Long is said to be a stud, but he is a right tackle. I'm just not sure he would be better than at RT than a number of guys we could get latter in the draft. I could see using a pick in the range of 10-20 on Long, but not 2 or 3.

DT? Dorsey would look like a great pick if it weren't for his injury status.

ILB? Laurentius (sp?), seems to be a little early for him. If he ends up being as good as Brian Urlacher or Ray Lewis, would he not be worth a top 2 or 3 pick?

QB? This is such a boom or bust choice, but there is little doubt we need one.

RB? McFadden looks to be a stud, but I'm hesitant to use a pick this high on positions like RB, WR, or S. RBs in general have such short careers due I worry about tying that much money up into the position. If this were the late 1st (where teams like Indy & New England drafted their 1st round RBs) I'd be right on board with McFadden. 2nd or 3rd pick? I'm worried.

When picking #2 I look at it like this: you CANT miss with the pick, or it sets the franchise back 2+ seasons.

If we pick #2, IMO it has to be the player that the team has rated highest overall, not the player rated the highest based on position of need.

IMO, that guy has to be McFadden or Dorsey. It could be Long as well though. The thing with Long is if he didnt work @ LT, he most likely will @ RT or OG at worst. A guy like DMC or a QB is just a failure if they dont work.

Long and McFadden are the safest picks to excel somewhere IMO, but McFadden and Dorsey are the safest to excel in the position they are drafted to play (as long as Dorseys health checks out).

If we somehow were able to come away with Glen Dorsey, it would be the best thing possible for our franchise. He is exactly what we need and would be a the key cog in our defense for a decade.

If Dorsey is not there, then I see us taking Darren McFadden. He is dynamic and could turn our running game completely around. He and Norwood would be an unbelievable duo for the next 5 to 10 years.

After that, I personally feel as though the draft dips greatly in talent. I would rather trade down and get more draft picks than select someone who has a big bust possiblilty.

if dorsey is still available,then we take him. If not its got to have to be Darren Mcfadden, or we try to trade up to the 7-10 range and try to get Ryan Clady. IMO hes a safer bet at the LT position than Jake Long, so there is almost no risk of picking him if we trade up. We dont need to pick up a QB this year because:

I think that Brady Quinn is going to be shopped around the NFL. aif this happens, I think we should trade one second round pick this year, and maybe one second round pick next year if it is neccessary. Quinn already has a year under his belt and I think that he can start from day one next year. If the coaching staff doesnt think so, then he too can sit a year and groom under a verteran.

goosedaddy70 (12/18/2007)
If we somehow were able to come away with Glen Dorsey, it would be the best thing possible for our franchise. He is exactly what we need and would be a the key cog in our defense for a decade.

If Dorsey is not there, then I see us taking Darren McFadden. He is dynamic and could turn our running game completely around. He and Norwood would be an unbelievable duo for the next 5 to 10 years.

After that, I personally feel as though the draft dips greatly in talent. I would rather trade down and get more draft picks than select someone who has a big bust possiblilty.

good post, dorsey would bolster our interior pass rush, and i think would help anderson become more productive as a pass rusher. not only that, hed improve our run defense and help our defense take a big step towards becoming elite.

Glenn Dorsey, Sedrick Ellis, or Ryan Clady. Those should be our only options, even if Clady ends up being just a slight reach in terms of his projected value.

If we draft a QB in the 1st I think I'll have to choke a #####. I'm not to keen on the idea of taking Jake Long, because I feel that Ryan Clady is a better prospect... but I wouldn't have to choke a ##### if we did so. Maybe stab a bunny... but no ##### will be choked.

Brookhaven (12/18/2007)
Given how early we are drafting, I'm still not seeing anyone jumping out saying this is the guy we have to take. I would normally use an inside/out drafting method. Spend your higher picks on the lines and use your mid & late rounders to fill in around the lines.

OT? Jake Long is said to be a stud, but he is a right tackle. I'm just not sure he would be better than at RT than a number of guys we could get latter in the draft. I could see using a pick in the range of 10-20 on Long, but not 2 or 3.

DT? Dorsey would look like a great pick if it weren't for his injury status.

ILB? Laurentius (sp?), seems to be a little early for him. If he ends up being as good as Brian Urlacher or Ray Lewis, would he not be worth a top 2 or 3 pick?

QB? This is such a boom or bust choice, but there is little doubt we need one.

RB? McFadden looks to be a stud, but I'm hesitant to use a pick this high on positions like RB, WR, or S. RBs in general have such short careers due I worry about tying that much money up into the position. If this were the late 1st (where teams like Indy & New England drafted their 1st round RBs) I'd be right on board with McFadden. 2nd or 3rd pick? I'm worried.

That's because you all are making it more complicated than it is.

If McFadden is on the board, there is no decision to make.

You over overanalyzing things.

NO ONE is a 100% guarantee. If you overanalyze things you could criticize any draft pick of any era.

Unless someone puts up the Josh Johnson 43/1 TD/INT ratio in a power conference with all world measurables we'll never see that sure prospect.

You talk about injuries but McFadden has no history of injuries. His durability is one of the reasons why he would have gone ahead of AD.

Glenn Dorsey should have a full recovery.

Both of those guys are no brainers.

Then there is Ellis who is the cosensus best defensive player on the 2nd best D in the nation.

ONe of thoe guys is guaranteed to be there if we don't win.

If we win, then the real questions begin