Arthur Blank coming up next on 790 the zone

featherz17

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I respect the fact that Blank is of Jewish religion but his meddling in the pre-game prayers and his exlanation for why is pathetic. If his players and coaches weren't offended why should he care? How many of his players are jewish? Dude is a control freak..

logic (12/18/2007)
I respect the fact that Blank is of Jewish religion but his meddling in the pre-game prayers and his exlanation for why is pathetic. If his players and coaches weren't offended why should he care? How many of his players are jewish? Dude is a control freak..
You heard it differently than I did then. Arthur's explanation sounded totally reasonable. Arthur never confronted Petrino about it. Arthur reminded McKay that there were several people within the Falcons organization who were of different faiths and that the pre-game prayer should reflect that (as it normally does in virtually every mixed gathering setting).

That whole story is the Petrino camp desperately grasping at straws and throwing anything they can out there to make their boy look better.

Anyone who buys into this story as being a real issue is a fool.

logic (12/18/2007)

What was his explanation for it ?

Blank's control issues are precisely why we need a strong minded coach like Singletary to keep the owner in his place in as much as to motivate the players to play for him.

gritblitzer (12/18/2007)
You heard it differently than I did then. Arthur's explanation sounded totally reasonable. Arthur never confronted Petrino about it. Arthur reminded McKay that there were several people within the Falcons organization who were of different faiths and that the pregame prayer should reflect that (as it normally does in virtually every mixed gathering setting).

So your saying the pregame prayer should be more diverse or there should be more than one of them ?

That whole story is the Petrino camp desperately grasping at straws and throwing anything they can out there to make their boy look better.

I believe this to be a big part of it.

But like they say where there's smoke there's usually fire and we all know Arthur Blank enjoy's putting his fingers on the buttons.

I know it's his team but the real genius as an owner is to surround yourself with the best possible talent top to bottom and let them do what you pay them to do.

At some point he'll have to learn how to stay out of the way as much as anything.

gritblitzer (12/18/2007)
logic (12/18/2007)
You heard it differently than I did then. Arthur's explanation sounded totally reasonable. Arthur never confronted Petrino about it. Arthur reminded McKay that there were several people within the Falcons organization who were of different faiths and that the pre-game prayer should reflect that (as it normally does in virtually every mixed gathering setting).

I agree Petrino trying to use this as an excuse or a way to justify him bailing on his commitment is pathetic. I still feel that a team prayer (when 90% of the players are probably Christian) shouldn't offend a muslim accountant or jewish equipment manager that also works in the organization.

Were they allowed to give Christmas gifts and cards or would that also disrupt Blanks policy? It just seems like a petty thing for an owner to be concerned with and something that eventually had ZERO affect on the teams performance on the field. Excuse me for getting all Bill O'Reilly but isn't this still a Christian nation?

richardc (12/18/2007)
Blank said MV's mom called Blank and said she was leaving Mike's house in sugarloaf because of all the people and craziness going on there.

I'm a MV fan, I loved watching the man play football, but that's bad.

Doesn't he live in a gated community ?

Craziness like peta, neighbors or his uhh... roommates ??

Did anyone elaborate on this craziness stuff ???

Smashmouth (12/18/2007)

So your saying the pregame prayer should be more diverse or there should be more than one of them ?

But like they say where there's smoke there's usually fire and we all know Arthur Blank enjoy's putting his fingers on the buttons.

I know it's his team but the real genius as an owner is to surround yourself with the best possible talent top to bottom and let them do what you pay them to do.

At some point he'll have to learn how to stay out of the way as much as anything.

Nope. I'm saying that, as Blank said, the prayer should have remained a generic prayer that was inclusive enough to embrace all faiths. It was that way prior to Petrino. Arthur made the whole thing sound like what it probably was, a non-issue pumped up by the Petrino camp to make their scumbag more palatable to the trailer park fans in Fayetteville.

This whole line of reasoning about Blank needing to "stay out of the way" is funny to me. No one affiliated with or who knows anything about the Falcons has ever accused Blank of making any decisions about anything that was specifically related to personnel on the field. Arthur isn't at the combines with a stop watch....He isn't drawing up plays on the chalkboard at halftime. Has he gone overboard is some other areas? Yeah...the pushing of Vick in the wheelchair was stupid....Talking to Mora during the latter part of games...But I believe this guy learns from his mistakes...

I'm not sure what was said since I couldn't hear the interview at work, but this is a very easy thing to do. We do it all the time in the military.

Please don't turn this into a post about religion, but the Jewish God and the Christian God are the same thing (the difference is how the two religions identify Jesus). So surely a prayer could be said to "our God" or "our Maker" that would be sufficient. As for Islam, I don't know if Allah has to be mentioned by name or if "our God" is good enough. Do we even have any muslim players on the team?

As others have said before, this is a non-issue.

USMC_FalcFan (12/18/2007)
I'm not sure what was said since I couldn't hear the interview at work, but this is a very easy thing to do. We do it all the time in the military.

Please don't turn this into a post about religion, but the Jewish God and the Christian God are the same thing (the difference is how the two religions identify Jesus). So surely a prayer could be said to "our God" or "our Maker" that would be sufficient. As for Islam, I don't know if Allah has to be mentioned by name or if "our God" is good enough. Do we even have any muslim players on the team?

As others have said before, this is a non-issue.

Do we have any jewish players on our team?

The only reason I mentioned it is because this morning on 790 Blank went out of the way several times to mention that HE was of jewish faith...It seemed to be a decision he made for personal reasons and not for the unity of his employees....

From listening to the players interviews since last Tuesday they had a laundry list of issues and problems with Petrino and how he ran things. I didnt hear one of them mention once that the way he conducted pre-game prayers was one of them. lol.. If Blank was so concerned about the moral of his employees maybe he should have made it a point to allow them to speak at team meals...

BruceReville (12/18/2007)
Our Non-Denominational Diety

Whom Art In A Non-Denominational Place

Hallowed Be Thy Reference You Are Called By

Thy Non-Denominational Kingdom Come

Thy All-Inclusive Will Be Done

On Earth As It Is Wherever You May Dwell

The new team prayer could start out something like that :w00t:

lol sad but true....

Blank has a point. A non-denominational prayer would be appropriate. A religion specific prayer could be unnecessarily offensive or exclusionary to some players.

Regardless, it has nothing to do with Petrino's claim he was meddling in football matters. If Petrino's claim was true ... he used a pathetic example.

And for those of you succumbing to stereotypes ... open your mind.

Football (American)

* Joe Alexander, G , U.S. football player

* Lyle Alzado, DE, U.S. football player

* Harris Barton, OL, U.S. football player

* Alex Bernstein, OL U.S. Football Player Baltimore Ravens, NY Jets, Cleveland Browns, Atlanta Falcons

* Jeremy Bloom, WR, PR Philadelphia Eagles

* Noah Cantor, DT, Toronto Argonauts, Canadian Football League

* Ben Davidson, DE, U.S. football player

Hayden Epstien, K, Vikings

* Jay Fiedler, QB, U.S. football player, free agent

* John Frank, TE, U.S. football player

* Benny Friedman, QB, U.S. football player, Hall of Fame

* Lennie Friedman, OL, Cleveland Browns

* Antonio Garay, DT, U.S. football player, Chicago Bears

* Adam Goldberg, OG, St. Louis Rams

* Bill Goldberg, DT, U.S. football player

* Marshall Goldberg, RB, U.S. football player

* Charles Goldenberg, G & RB, U.S. football player

* Randy Grossman, TE, U.S. football player, Pittsburgh Steelers

Dan Hadenfeldt - P, Patriots (inactive)

* Sigmund Harris, QB, U.S. football player.

Andrew Kline - OL, Rams Brian Kopka - K, Ravens

* Sid Luckman, QB, U.S. football player, Hall of Fame

* Sam McCullum, WR, U.S. football player

* Josh Miller, P, New England Patriots

* Ron Mix, OT, U.S. football player, Hall of Fame

* Ed Newman, G, U.S. football player

* Harry Newman, QB, U.S. football player

* Igor Olshansky, DL, San Diego Chargers

Gus Ornstein - QB, Jets Vitaly Pisetsky - K, Bears

* Sage Rosenfels, QB, Houston Texans

* Mike Rosenthal, T, Minnesota Vikings

* Mike Seidman, TE, Indianapolis Colts

* Allie Sherman, U.S. football player & coach, New York Giants

Scott Slutzker - TE, Jets Josh Taves DE, Panthers

* Andre Tippett, LB, New England Patriots

* Alan Veingrad, OL, U.S. football player

* Gary Wood, QB, New York Giants

Smashmouth (12/18/2007)
logic (12/18/2007)

What was his explanation for it ?

Blank's control issues are precisely why we need a strong minded coach like Singletary to keep the owner in his place in as much as to motivate the players to play for him.

You do realize how the work hierarchy works don't you. I'm pretty sure Blank doesn't go out to hire a coach to keep him in his place. Someone who is proven and is use to having control is the one that would keep him in his place if anyone. I don't see Singletary keeping Blank in his place just because he can motivate players. I just don't see where you think hiring Singletary would keep Blank in his place.

logic (12/18/2007)
gritblitzer (12/18/2007)
logic (12/18/2007)

That whole story is the Petrino camp desperately grasping at straws and throwing anything they can out there to make their boy look better

I agree Petrino trying to use this as an excuse or a way to justify him bailing on his commitment is pathetic. I still feel that a team prayer (when 90% of the players are probably Christian) shouldn't offend a muslim accountant or jewish equipment manager that also works in the organizati

Were they allowed to give Christmas gifts and cards or would that also disrupt Blanks policy? It just seems like a petty thing for an owner to be concerned with and something that eventually had ZERO affect on the teams performance on the field. Excuse me for getting all Bill O'Reilly but isn't this still a Christian nation?

No its not...it has no religious affiliation