Legal aspects of Freedom of speech

I have seen a bunch of people bring up that they believe our players are protected by the freedom of speech. The problem with that is that Government is the only people prohibited from limiting speech. The Constitution does not prohibit an employer or business owner from adapting rules for their own protection and the welfare of their employees or customers.

The U.S. CONSTITUTION says: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

The Constitution does protect the freedom of speech of every citizen, and even of non-citizens but only from restriction by the Congress. There are plenty of other places where you could speak but where speech can and is suppressed. For example, freedom of speech can be and often is restricted in a work place, for example: employers can restrict your right to speak in the work place about politics, about religion, about legal issues, even about Desperate Housewives.

"That sums it up in a nut shell. The five players that were fined openly showed their support for a former teammate that plead guilty to and was convicted of some horrible crimes. Since playing football is their job and the field of any venue is their work place they are prohibited from wearing articles of clothing or altering eye-black strips to show their support for a highly controversial "criminal", for lack of a better word.

Altering of the NFL uniform has never been allowed. Manning couldn't even wear black high-top shoes to honour the passing of Johnny Unitas. ****, even to wear the 21 that all the teams are wearing you have to get approval from the NFL.

I agree with the fine. It was/is an embarrassment to the NFL, the Falcons and the city of Atlanta"

People act like these guys are just being singled out because they were supporting Vick. The league has been very clear with it's uniform policy over the years.

Lord Dark Helmet (12/18/2007)
"That sums it up in a nut shell. The five players that were fined openly showed their support for a former teammate that plead guilty to and was convicted of some horrible crimes. Since playing football is their job and the field of any venue is their work place they are prohibited from wearing articles of clothing or altering eye-black strips to show their support for a highly controversial "criminal", for lack of a better word.

Altering of the NFL uniform has never been allowed. Manning couldn't even wear black high-top shoes to honour the passing of Johnny Unitas. ****, even to wear the 21 that all the teams are wearing you have to get approval from the NFL.

I agree with the fine. It was/is an embarrassment to the NFL, the Falcons and the city of Atlanta"

People act like these guys are just being singled out because they were supporting Vick. The league has been very clear with it's uniform policy over the years.

You refer to them as people, wow you're being too nice. Those people can't comprehend any of that as it applies to the Falcons players being fined.

They deserved and probably knew they were going to be punished. However i wouldnt go as far as to say that their attire was an embaressment to the city. We as fans have to realize that even though what mike did was wrong, most of the guys on this team were still very close to him and their families probably had very close relationships. They want mike to survive this.

imagine someone you have known for the past 4 or more years that you see almost everyday for 8 months out of the year. just because they do something wrong does not change everything that yall have been through. Just because it is easy for us fans who have no personal attachment to vick, to throw him under the bus does not mean the players who actually had a personal relationship of the guy will too. I dont blame them for showing their support for a close friend who made a mistake and who they want to become a better person after this is done. I dont care if you are Vick, or anone else, prison is not an easy experience at all, you dont have normal rights and while you vick may have killed dogs, he will be showering eating and sleeping with people who have probably killed human beings, raped people, or sold drugs. I wouldnt wish that on any of my friends and i would do the same for them that our players did for vick.

jimn06 (12/18/2007)
They deserved and probably knew they were going to be punished. However i wouldnt go as far as to say that their attire was an embaressment to the city. We as fans have to realize that even though what mike did was wrong, most of the guys on this team were still very close to him and their families probably had very close relationships. They want mike to survive this.

imagine someone you have known for the past 4 or more years that you see almost everyday for 8 months out of the year. just because they do something wrong does not change everything that yall have been through. Just because it is easy for us fans who have no personal attachment to vick, to throw him under the bus does not mean the players who actually had a personal relationship of the guy will too. I dont blame them for showing their support for a close friend who made a mistake and who they want to become a better person after this is done. I dont care if you are Vick, or anone else, prison is not an easy experience at all, you dont have normal rights and while you vick may have killed dogs, he will be showering eating and sleeping with people who have probably killed human beings, raped people, or sold drugs. I wouldnt wish that on any of my friends and i would do the same for them that our players did for vick.

wow awsome reply:)

jimn06 (12/18/2007)

Sorry all I see is a ignorant fool whos arrogance and selfishness caused him to fluck over his family, friends, boss, teammates and fans. He wont be a Falcon so I honestly couldnt give 2 cents who he showers with and how well he holds onto his soap.

My heart isnt broken for the fool.

Bloodhoundz Reborn (12/18/2007)
They shouldn't have been fined for the eye paint but oh well it's chump change to them anyway.

You know what? I actually kind of agree with that. It was subtle, and it didn't say "Free Mike Vick", just "MV 7". More like the helmet stickers. But the silly crap in the end zone and the poster hanging & all that. Too over the top for me, and I am glad that stuff wasn't overlooked.

falconfootball (12/18/2007)
They shouldn't have been fined for the eye paint but oh well it's chump change to them anyway.

You know what? I actually kind of agree with that. It was subtle, and it didn't say "Free Mike Vick", just "MV 7". More like the helmet stickers. But the silly crap in the end zone and the poster hanging & all that. Too over the top for me, and I am glad that stuff wasn't overlooked.

I'm glad I fell asleep on the couch before I saw that happen.

Celebrating that way while still down 3 TDs is pathetic.

Sorry all I see is a ignorant fool whos arrogance and selfishness caused him to fluck over his family, friends, boss, teammates and fans. He wont be a Falcon so I honestly couldnt give 2 cents who he showers with and how well he holds onto his soap.

My heart isnt broken for the fool.

and thats fine, thats how you feel, i am not trying to make you or anyone else feel this way, all i was saying is that is probably how the players are feeling which led them to do this. what mike did was very stupid and he is paying for it now but i am not disappointed in the players for what they did. they were aware of the consequences but still wanted to show thier friend support, there is a good majority of every locker room in the world of sports who feels the same way they do about the situation.

Exactly, I don't get the eye paint thing. I think I seen Bush with his area code on his but I can't remember if that was college or the NFL. Well if it was in the NFL I wonder was he fined. I can see why White was suspended though.

The_ ATL (12/18/2007)

I'm glad I fell asleep on the couch before I saw that happen.

Celebrating that way while still down 3 TDs is pathetic.

You must of fell asleep early,that Free Mike Vick thing happened in the 1st qt.when we tied the game.

The_ ATL (12/18/2007)
Jake Plummer was fined multiple times for honoring Pat Tillmen after his death.

At least Plummer was honoring someone who served and died for his country while the Roddy, Joe, Alge, Jenks were honoring a guy who contributed to a already overpopulated prison community.

exactly.......no need to say further

• 2 weeks later...