SEC Pecking Order (Preseason 2008)

LawDawg

I know it's a wee bit early but here goes:

EAST:

1a. Georgia - With 17 starters back, they share the stage with Florida as favorites to win the SEC East. Stafford and Moreno will be better and the defense comes back losing only two starters (Marcus Howard and Kelin Johnson) where there's a long line of very good players waiting to replace them.

1b. Florida - Tebow returns as the reigning Heisman Trophy winner along with Harvin. Most of the Gator defense comes back intact and the secondary should be much better than it was this year. And you can bet they're gonna be pumped up for the Cocktail Party.

3. Tennessee - Losing both Cutcliffe and Taylor as coaches is gonna hurt, but the Vols return all of their RBs and their entire O-line (which was one of the best in the league). They will run the ball alot next year and on defense, Eric Berry will be an All-American.

4. South Carolina - 2008 will be the year when we should start seeing if Spurrier's awesome recruiting class of last year was of championship calibre. And like the Dawgs and Gators they'll return most of their defense.

5. Vanderbilt - Chris Nickson will be back at QB but Earl Bennett is as good as gone to the NFL. Bobby Johnson will return as HC and he has always done a very good job with the talent he has.

6. Kentucky - Should've made it happen in '07 because it ain't sure as **** gonna happen next year. The entire offense is gone (Woodson, Little, Burton & Tamme) and Rich Brooks will be back on the hot seat.

WEST:

1. LSU - So Les is staying put afterall. Next year should be Ryan Perrilloux's coming out party where he matured into a consistent dual-threat. They lose alot of key starters (Dorsey, Highsmith, Xenon, Chevis, Steltz, etc.) on defense however and Bo Pelini is gone. But there's so much talent waiting to play in Baton Rouge.

2. Alabama - JPW should be more consistent, Terry Grant returns as a very good sophomore RB, and the entire O-line is back. With an easy out-of-conference schedule (Western Kentucky, Tulane, UTEP, Northern Illinois) I predict the Tide to go 8-3 (losing to @Georgia, @Tennessee & @LSU).

3. Auburn - New OC Tony Franklin will make the offense very interesting. If Auburn's new starting QB (Burns or Caudle) settles in and becomes comfortable, then the Tigers will be competing for the SEC West. If not, then it could be a long year. It's hard to tell right now with a new QB and new OC.

4. Mississippi State - Freshman Wesley Carroll settled in as the starting QB by season's end and the Bulldogs return all of their starters except a handfull. They should be able to carry the momentum going into next year.

5. Ole Miss - An underappreciated ex-Hog coach Houston Nutt is in a place now where he can feel loved. Ole Miss hired him 53 seconds after he resigned from Arkansas. It's gonna be a couple of years, but he'll eventually bring Ole Miss back to mediocrity.

6. Arkansas - Congrats to Hog Nation for nabbing Petrino, even if he's only there for 3 years. McFadden, Felix, Hillis, and perhaps up to 3 or 4 O-lineman will be all gone. You have a **** at QB. Not to mention that more than half of your defense needs to be replaced. Bobby is gonna wish he was 3-10 again.

LawDawg (12/17/2007)

EAST:

1a. Georgia - With 17 starters back, they share the stage with Florida as favorites to win the SEC East. Stafford and Moreno will be better and the defense comes back losing only two starters (Marcus Howard and Kelin Johnson) where there's a long line of very good players waiting to replace them.

1b. Florida - Tebow returns as the reigning Heisman Trophy winner along with Harvin. Most of the Gator defense comes back intact and the secondary should be much better than it was this year. And you can bet they're gonna be pumped up for the Cocktail Party.

3. Tennessee - Losing both Cutcliffe and Taylor as coaches is gonna hurt, but the Vols return all of their RBs and their entire O-line (which was one of the best in the league). They will run the ball alot next year and on defense, Eric Berry will be an All-American.

4. South Carolina - 2008 will be the year when we should start seeing if Spurrier's awesome recruiting class of last year was of championship calibre. And like the Dawgs and Gators they'll return most of their defense.

5. Vanderbilt - Chris Nickson will be back at QB but Earl Bennett is as good as gone to the NFL. Bobby Johnson will return as HC and he has always done a very good job with the talent he has.

6. Kentucky - Should've made it happen in '07 because it ain't sure as **** gonna happen next year. The entire offense is gone (Woodson, Little, Burton & Tamme) and Rich Brooks will be back on the hot seat.

WEST:

1. LSU - So Les is staying put afterall. Next year should be Ryan Perrilloux's coming out party where he matured into a consistent dual-threat. They lose alot of key starters (Dorsey, Highsmith, Xenon, Chevis, Steltz, etc.) on defense however and Bo Pelini is gone. But there's so much talent waiting to play in Baton Rouge.

2. Alabama - JPW should be more consistent, Terry Grant returns as a very good sophomore RB, and the entire O-line is back. With an easy out-of-conference schedule (Western Kentucky, Tulane, UTEP, Northern Illinois) I predict the Tide to go 8-3 (losing to @Georgia, @Tennessee & @LSU).

3. Auburn - New OC Tony Franklin will make the offense very interesting. If Auburn's new starting QB (Burns or Caudle) settles in and becomes comfortable, then the Tigers will be competing for the SEC West. If not, then it could be a long year. It's hard to tell right now with a new QB and new OC.

4. Mississippi State - Freshman Wesley Carroll settled in as the starting QB by season's end and the Bulldogs return all of their starters except a handfull. They should be able to carry the momentum going into next year.

5. Ole Miss - An underappreciated ex-Hog coach Houston Nutt is in a place now where he can feel loved. Ole Miss hired him 53 seconds after he resigned from Arkansas. It's gonna be a couple of years, but he'll eventually bring Ole Miss back to mediocrity.

6. Arkansas - Congrats to Hog Nation for nabbing Petrino, even if he's only there for 3 years. McFadden, Felix, Hillis, and perhaps up to 3 or 4 O-lineman will be all gone. You have a **** at QB. Not to mention that more than half of your defense needs to be replaced. Bobby is gonna wish he was 3-10 again.

Losing Brandon and Borges should IMEDEATLY put Auburn in the MNC convo

Good job Lawdawg. I agree with this order. This biggest thing for Bama is getting the O-Line back. We also have some very good OL recruits coming in next year and this will give them time to transition into the college game. I would really like to see Star Jackson play for Bama in certain packages next year. This kid is a dual-thrat QB that should open up the playbook for Major Applewhite next year. I'm deffinately excited to see what Terry Grant can do next year behind a great O-Line. Georgia is looking very strong for next year as well.

LawDawg (12/17/2007)

EAST:

WEST:

I still don't really understand how Tennessee isn't AT LEAST equal to UGA and Florida, considering we return 17 starters (same as UGA and Fla) from the team that won the East.

Add in Brandon Warren, Demetrice Morley, and Vince Faison to the team we already have returning, and I'm not sure we aren't the best team in the East.

I guess we did lose the best OC in the SEC, and we will probably lose Trooper, but as long as Phil is here, I have faith.

Luckily, we get Florida at home this year, where we were 7-0 in 2007. :D

jdu00743 (12/18/2007)
LawDawg (12/17/2007)

EAST:

WEST:

I still don't really understand how Tennessee isn't AT LEAST equal to UGA and Florida, considering we return 17 starters (same as UGA and Fla) from the team that won the East.

Add in Brandon Warren, Demetrice Morley, and Vince Faison to the team we already have returning, and I'm not sure we aren't the best team in the East.

I guess we did lose the best OC in the SEC, and we will probably lose Trooper, but as long as Phil is here, I have faith.

Phil did squat w/o Cut as OC.

jdu00743 (12/18/2007)
LawDawg (12/17/2007)

EAST:

WEST:

It's not just the #'s of who you bring back. It's who you lose. UT lost their senior starting qb. You don't just replace that position. Also don't forget florida will be coming off a bye. I don't care where you play them that does matter. Your team should be #3 and not on par with uf/uga.

MP4413 (12/18/2007)
jdu00743 (12/18/2007)
LawDawg (12/17/2007)

EAST:

WEST:

Phil did squat w/o Cut as OC.

Except win the national championship game.

From a neutral standpoint, Georgia and its fans would do well to avoid counting the victories next year. Not to say Georgia is not talented enough to take the East, it is a NC competitor if the progression keeps up, but they have to beat Tennessee and Florida to win the East and they had best be careful. The Vols killed the dogs with an offensive line that dominated all day and a pounding running game that should be improved next year with the progression of Creer, and the Vol defense figures to improve with an already-great core of linebackers adding Donald to Mayo and McCoy. That will be a very tough game and Georgia has to step up after getting plowed the last two years. And of course Florida is more dangerous than ever with the progression of Tebow and Harvin, along with the inevitable wrinkles in the offense that will show up next year. Any of those three teams could win the South, and all three had best show up.

SacFalcFan (12/18/2007)

It's not just the #'s of who you bring back. It's who you lose. UT lost their senior starting qb. You don't just replace that position. Also don't forget florida will be coming off a bye. I don't care where you play them that does matter. Your team should be #3 and not on par with uf/uga.

The bye before the UGA game means something because it is a bit later in the year.

A "bye" 2 or 3 weeks into the year is completely pointless and does more harm than good.