Choosing our next HC

DL Reese

What we are dealing with is almost the equivalent of Falcons circa 1980's.

Marion Campbell 1987 1989 11-36 (.234) Retired after 12 games in 1989. :hehe:

Jim Hanifan 1989 0-4 (.000) Interim head coach.

Jerry Glanville 1990 1993 27-37 (.422) (I compare him to Mora Jr. More hype than results)

June Jones 1994 1996 19-29 (.396) (Remember the Run n Shoot?)

During this time, Atlanta couldn't win, couldn't keep a coach, and couldn't keep quality players. At that time, the Smith's brought in a guy who was a proven winner as a head coach, and had a history of building a program from scratch. They chose...

Dan Reeves 1997 2003 49-59-1 (.450)

This was the best move, other than selling the team, the Smith's did for Atlanta. Immediately, Dan brought stabilty.

Then came the cycle again...

Jim Mora 2004 2006 26-22 (.542)

Bobby Petrino 2007 3-10 (.250) resigned after 13 games in 2007

Emmit Thomas 2007 0-1 (.000) Interim

Now just like in 1997 this team needs to be stabilized. A coach with experience, not potential. The difference with this selection, his purpose would only be to stabilize not to be a savior.

My recommendation, Marty Schotenhimer (sp)

For those who have complained about Marty not making to the SB, you need to broaden your view a bit. We could bring in Bill Parcells as the HC, have Lovie Smith as DC, and Steve Marriuci as OC and the 2008 Falcons would not go to the Super Bowl. This team is a long way from being a contender. Playing and winning the SB is a great goal but can we make a goal of having two straight winning seasons.

I dont know if I'd call it stability but let's be fair and break that record down......

Reeves had been to 1 of every 4 Superbowls EVER PLAYED..... PERIOD. He even took US. Can you believe that???????????? The Atlanta Falcons in the Superbowl.... only Reeves has done it.

1997 1st year........ 7-9

1998...................14-2 Superbowl.

1999 Jamal went down and so did the team. But so did the Denver Broncos who was in the superbowl with us. Just one of those things.

2000 4-12. Now if you are going to fire him. Now was the time. But they kept him

2001 7-9 He had us on a playoff run and Blank and Smith ruined the season with the distraction of the team sale..... dont think distractions are a problem? See this season.

2002 9-6-1 and the Green Bay playoff victory. Reeves had us clicking again. He was on the verge of a looooong playoff run with this team.

2003. Vick goes down. NOT Reeves fault. Vick comes back at end of year and they go 3-1 and the team that beat them was Indy. Reeves in NO WAY deserved to be fired.

It had went downhill sense. Mora took Reeves team to the NFC Championship... sure would of liked to see what Reeves could of done with it. I'm telling you, a team gives Dan another chance that team will see a deep playoff run...... I sure wouldn't mind another playoff run.

Reeves is a sure thing..............

sarge17 (12/17/2007)
I dont know if I'd call it stability but let's be fair and break that record down......

Reeves had been to 1 of every 4 Superbowls EVER PLAYED..... PERIOD. He even took US. Can you believe that???????????? The Atlanta Falcons in the Superbowl.... only Reeves has done it.

1997 1st year........ 7-9

1998...................14-2 Superbowl.

1999 Jamal went down and so did the team. But so did the Denver Broncos who was in the superbowl with us. Just one of those things.

2000 4-12. Now if you are going to fire him. Now was the time. But they kept him

2001 7-9 He had us on a playoff run and Blank and Smith ruined the season with the distraction of the team sale..... dont think distractions are a problem? See this season.

2002 9-6-1 and the Green Bay playoff victory. Reeves had us clicking again. He was on the verge of a looooong playoff run with this team.

2003. Vick goes down. NOT Reeves fault. Vick comes back at end of year and they go 3-1 and the team that beat them was Indy. Reeves in NO WAY deserved to be fired.

It had went downhill sense. Mora took Reeves team to the NFC Championship... sure would of liked to see what Reeves could of done with it. I'm telling you, a team gives Dan another chance that team will see a deep playoff run...... I sure wouldn't mind another playoff run.

Reeves is a sure thing..............

1999 - 2000 - 2003 -- 1 player goes down team crumbles - shows lack of depth

2002 almost didn't make it to the play-offs - got lucky that New Orleans lost its last 4 games to finish 9-7 - we lost 3 out of our last 4 games that season

2001 - lost 5 of the last 6 games - sale was not announced until December 14th of 2001 with 4 games left - so I can somewhat conceed that but coming off of 2 years where we were 3 and 4 games below .500 makes it suspect

2004 - Well Mora did something with a Reeves team that Reeves couldn't do the year before -- WIN!!!

5 losing season out of 7 in Atlanta - Reeves needed to go and he wasn't fired - he was informed that he would not be retained (Given 3 weeks notice) asked to finish the season - he said no and asked for his release -- at least Blank had the nuts to tell him up front

Here is a telling sign about Reeves as a coach from 1990 - 2003 -- only 5 winning seasons -- 1998 was special yes - but other than that - we were mediocre one season and sup-par/awful the rest