Profootball Weekly - "MckAy is a coach-killer"

Jigga Donkey

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+W...07/wwhi2224.htm

Burning down the house

Though Petrino took the blame, GM McKay may be source of Falcons woes

Dec. 17, 2007

After being fooled twice, Falcons owner Arthur Blank and president-general manager Rich McKay were splitting a fair share of shame after a disastrous week.

It began with a 23-month jail sentence for the team s former franchise player and quarterback, Michael Vick, on Dec. 10. Later that day, the team was sacked by the Saints 34-14 in a Monday Night Football debacle. Twenty-four hours later, head coach Bobby Petrino phoned in his resignation to Blank and was introduced as the new coach at the University of Arkansas.

Is this ****?

No, it s Atlanta.

Blank and McKay put their trust in Vick and Petrino, but both spurned them with lies Vick about his role in a dogfighting ring and Petrino in his commitment to the team. In a meeting prior to the New Orleans game, Petrino shook Blank s hand and told him, You have a head coach.

The Falcons hierarchy presented a united front during its press conference following Petrino s exit. Blank, one of the NFL s most hands-on owners, and McKay shared the stage to answer reporters questions. McKay said the decision to hire Petrino was one of consensus, made not solely by him but all of the team s top-level management. League sources, however, said this isn t the first time he has passed the buck after one of his handpicked coaches has departed.

If McKay is allowed to hire another coach, it will be his fourth coach in six years, said one veteran NFL executive. This is the guy who fired Tony Dungy (from the Bucs) don't forget and then blamed it on (Bucs owners) the Glazers when he could not get Marvin Lewis.

Arthur Blank needs to wake up. (Jon) Gruden is now on his third division title since taking over the team. He s kicking (Blank s) #####, and that s not going to change as long as McKay is in the building, making football decisions.

Multiple sources suspected that Blank, although loyal to McKay, will bring more people into the hiring process this time around, rather than relying too much on the GM, but that may not be enough. A complete overhaul of the front office would be good for the franchise, said one longtime NFL head coach, now retired. A face-saving option for Blank is to reassign McKay to a higher post, which would involve making fewer everyday football decisions, and hand him more administrative duties.

Blank spent part of the aftermath of Petrino s sudden exit meeting with his players. Falcons FB Ovie Mughelli told PFW that Blank made a promise to include them more in this search than he did in last year s, when Petrino was brought in.

What reassured us is that (Blank) was as upset and angry as we were, Mughelli said. He wasn t taking this lightly and felt as betrayed as we did. That was something we were able to grab onto. It would be a different story if he was trying to credit Coach Petrino or if we didn t know where he stood.

One of Blank s first calls to a prospective new coach was reportedly to former Steelers boss and CBS analyst Bill Cowher, but Cowher told the Falcons that it will be another year before he is ready to return. One of the next names on Blank s list will be 49ers assistant head coach/defense Mike Singletary, who was impressive in his interview with the Falcons last year before they hired Petrino. He has never been a head coach, though, and would need to assemble a very experienced staff in order to get the job.

Either of them would be great, Mughelli said. & It s hard to get worse than Coach Petrino after how he left, so just about any head coach would be better.

With McKay in place and the franchise in peril, just about anyone might be exactly whom the Falcons have to settle for.

(McKay) has earned a reputation as a coach-killer, said the former NFL coach. No one wants to work for the guy. Why do you think so many (coaches) have turned down job offers from him through the years?

It s going to be difficult to find a good coach who wants to work for him.

snicker (12/17/2007)
why the fu% do they quote Ovie Mughelli at the end? Out of all the players on the team, he should be grateful for Petrino's hire. Otherwise he would not have gotten a $18 million contract to be on the field for 4-5 plays per game.

so it was Petrino that gave him $18M? Better check that again

They say he fired Dungy but he hired Dungy.

In those times, people said Dungy was fired by the Glazers because the losts in the playoffs and they thought the team could win a SB.

And I am very surprise because Blank counts with the players to hire a coach. In my country you don't select the boss, the management takes the decision.

Jigga Donkey (12/17/2007)

Blank signed the check but it was Petrino who insisted that he needed Mughelli for his power running scheme. So yeah, without Petrino, Mughelli would have gotten a much smaller contract, probably from some other team.

snicker (12/18/2007)

Blank signed the check but it was Petrino who insisted that he needed Mughelli for his power running scheme. So yeah, without Petrino, Mughelli would have gotten a much smaller contract, probably from some other team.

man you're ignorant. So Petrino insisted that McKay draw up an $18M contract, is that what you're saying?

If you know anything about McKay and how he operates then you wouldn't think that about thise situation. The reason McKay hated Gruden was because Gruden tried to suggest players to bring in, little Richie doesn't like that too much.

It's McKay who draws up the contracts and decided how much money to give the players not the HC, it's not that difficult to understand.

Jigga Donkey (12/18/2007)
snicker (12/18/2007)

man you're ignorant. So Petrino insisted that McKay draw up an $18M contract, is that what you're saying?

If you know anything about McKay and how he operates then you wouldn't think that about thise situation. The reason McKay hated Gruden was because Gruden tried to suggest players to bring in, little Richie doesn't like that too much.

It's McKay who draws up the contracts and decided how much money to give the players not the HC, it's not that difficult to understand.

That's right. McKay just throws a dart at a number board to determine how much to pay the player. Players have these things called AGENTS. Those are the guys that drive up the contracts.

I'm thinking that the Ovie thing was Petrino's idea. I seriously doubt that Blank and McKay got together in the offseason and said "We need to make another big free agent splash like we did with Abraham. How could we excite the fans? I know. Let's sign a fullback!"

However McKay should take the heat here. I remember hearing about how Petirno liked using 3-4 WR sets. So if his offense ran these sets over 50% of the time WHY DO YOU SIGN A FULLBACK? IN A 3 or 4 WR SET THE FULLBACK IS NOT ON THE FIELD.

It was a dumb signing then and it still is one now. We had a pretty decent and versatile FB but we let him walk.

I remember hearing "he's like another lineman on the field." A Fullback that comes off the field in passing situations? He's like another lineman? Yeah right.

snicker (12/18/2007)

Petrino said he wanted him, McKay worked the contract and the numbers, and Blank signed the check.

you guys are fools. If I go looking for a car and the asking price is too high guess what? I don't buy the freak'n car. I understand an agents role but it's the GM's role to be responsible for how much money he's actually going to give the player. For anyone to blame the $18M contract on Petrino is straight insanity.

All McKay had to do was say, "nope, $18M is too much $$"

You guys are acting like Petrino forced Mckay to sign Ovie, give me a break. Think about what you're typing here

I dont believe mckay fired dungy.That was the owner in tampa.I thought that was well known.I do believe in changing mckays role or moveing on but there seems to be some pileing on in the media.Coach killer?Did he kill petrino or mora?No,they werent ready.He picked the wrong guys he didnt get them fired.

bigduke633 (12/18/2007)
I dont believe mckay fired dungy.That was the owner in tampa.I thought that was well known.I do believe in changing mckays role or moveing on but there seems to be some pileing on in the media.Coach killer?Did he kill petrino or mora?No,they werent ready.He picked the wrong guys he didnt get them fired.

petrino said blank was meddlesome not mckay, and he left. he didnt get fired, and mckay overpaid ovie to support petrino. mora got killed by knapp and donatell not mckay.

mckay is not a coach killer.

McKay reluctantly fired Dungy at the Glazers' behest. It was time, so I think McKay was complicit, though I think he preferred giving Dungy anopther year and asking him to hire ANOTHER OC, which Dungy would not do out of loyalty to the current OC.

As for Mughelli, have a look at what Justin Griffith is doing now...leading Pro Bowl balloting in the AFC.

I wouldn't look at McKay for signing absurd contracts. McKay's M.O. is to backload contracts and then renegotiate when the expensive portions kick in. That's why the Bucs were mired in salary cap **** after he left. We're $20M under for next year.

McKay is a good administrator and a poor judge of talent. There's a reason we mortgaged our future to get Kayshawn, then had to sell the farm to get Gruden.

eatcorn (12/18/2007)
McKay reluctantly fired Dungy at the Glazers' behest. It was time, so I think McKay was complicit, though I think he preferred giving Dungy anopther year and asking him to hire ANOTHER OC, which Dungy would not do out of loyalty to the current OC.

As for Mughelli, have a look at what Justin Griffith is doing now...leading Pro Bowl balloting in the AFC.

I wouldn't look at McKay for signing absurd contracts. McKay's M.O. is to backload contracts and then renegotiate when the expensive portions kick in. That's why the Bucs were mired in salary cap **** after he left. We're $20M under for next year.

McKay is a good administrator and a poor judge of talent. There's a reason we mortgaged our future to get Kayshawn, then had to sell the farm to get Gruden.

Yeah the reason was the superbowl ring.

bigduke633 (12/18/2007)

Reasonable thoughts/post, but just some constructive criticism:

The period key is by the question mark key, and the space key is the long rectangular bar in the bottom-middle of the keyboard. :)

snicker (12/18/2007)

The reason McKay hated Gruden was because Gruden tried to suggest players to bring in, little Richie doesn't like that too much.

I find that laughable. With both Mora and Petrino McKay has shown that he goes out to get the player(s) that fit what these two coaches wanted to do or who they wanted. Tell me Webster was not a Mora player. When Mora said we needed someone big on DL, Mckay got Jackson. Run stuffer? Hartwell. LT? Gandy. Gibbs doesn't want high draft pick OL? McKay drafted none above 5th round while he was here. Then when it was Petrino who wanted a power running game McKay went out and get Mughelli. Not only that he signed and tried to beef up the OL. Furthemore we know that in the past McKay has said that he is willing to give up personel decision to the right head coach like when he tried to hire Jimmy Johnson and Steve Spurrier. So while you can said his hiring and signing might not have been the best, to suggest that the man has any kind of ego when it comes to power and control is rather ignorant.

signout (12/18/2007)
snicker (12/18/2007)

The reason McKay hated Gruden was because Gruden tried to suggest players to bring in, little Richie doesn't like that too much.

I find that laughable. With both Mora and Petrino McKay has shown that he goes out to get the player(s) that fit what these two coaches wanted to do or who they wanted. Tell me Webster was not a Mora player. When Mora said we needed someone big on DL, Mckay got Jackson. Run stuffer? Hartwell. LT? Gandy. Gibbs doesn't want high draft pick OL? McKay drafted none above 5th round while he was here. Then when it was Petrino who wanted a power running game McKay went out and get Mughelli. Not only that he signed and tried to beef up the OL. Furthemore we know that in the past McKay has said that he is willing to give up personel decision to the right head coach like when he tried to hire Jimmy Johnson and Steve Spurrier. So while you can said his hiring and signing might not have been the best, to suggest that the man has any kind of ego when it comes to power and control is rather ignorant.

and I find the ignorance on this MB laughable. Look no further than Chris Simms to find out how Mckay operates when drafting. Simms is an awful fit for Gruden's offense, just terrible. Guess who Gruden wanted with that pick? Brian Westbrook, I'm so happy that McKay is nowhere near the Bucs anymore.

Maybe he learned his lesson fighting with Gruden, there's a reason that Gruden has won his 2nd division title without McKay and has assembled a young, dominant OL. Thanks for taking McKay out of Tampa, have fun with that disease.

I say we shyatcan both AB and RM but since one owns the team then it has to be RM that goes. Blank is a super nice guy but clearly chooses unwise counsel. Think about the ridiculous decisions he has made since owning this team. Who is in his ear steering him in these decisions--McKay, plain and simple!!

Dumb decisions tacitly ok'd by Blank:

Vick's gargantuan contract renewal 1 year early in 2004

Brooking's salary

Ovie's record setting FB contract

Hurtwell's eye popping contract

P.P.

Mora Jr. hire

BP hire

Running Reeves out the way he did

Putting Vick above everyone else in the organization

OK'ing the Weiner/Mclure extensions

Brady Smith departure

PK--(i was OK with his departure since it seemed as much about $ as anything)

Handling of the Grady Jackson issue

So much love for Dunn and his contract

Blank also has/had a "blind eye" towards:

Vick's thug life

MeHall's antics/mouth/attitude

So many questionable decisions made by Blank. Face it, he's in over his head and makes poor choices with his circle of advisors. Yes, he lavishes the money and hype but the results speak for themselves.