Blank's best option: Select Ray Anderson as President/GM, hire Singletary as coach

ATL--75

Blank has been humbled and embarrassed and may be taking an inventory of the mistakes he has made from the firing of Reeves to the hiring of McKay and Petrino, but he can 'right the ship' through a leap of faith a bring back an old face who is more qualified to lead this franchise. And that person is Ray Anderson..

Select Ray Anderson. Hire Mike Singletary. And this franchise will be on the right track..

Arthur has to fight the 'good ol' boy' network inside his personal inner circle and from the skeptical Vick-hating media (AJC, 680, 790), but the hiring of Ray Anderson and Mike Singletary will put this franchise back on track..

Arthur, it's time for bold decisive leadership and do something that might not be 'popular' among some in the fanbase, but its the best decision you can make.

The following is past story on Ray Anderson:

Ray Anderson Named NFL Senior VP, Football Operations

RAY ANDERSON, one of the most highly respected executives in the National Football League, has been named NFL senior vice president of football operations. Anderson becomes the NFL s senior football executive, the position previously held by ART SHELL, who returned to the sidelines this season as the head coach of the Oakland Raiders. Anderson s areas of responsibility will include all NFL football operations, including officiating and the NFL Europe League.

The 52-year-old Anderson, a three-year football letterman at Stanford, joins the NFL after spending the past four years as the executive vice president and chief administrative officer of the Atlanta Falcons. He worked closely with Falcons President RICH MC KAY and was responsible for overseeing the team s player contracts, the salary cap, legal matters, facilities, equipment, video, logistic and travel functions.

Anderson joined the Falcons from the coaches division of Octagon, where he served as a sports agent for NFL coaches and players. He represented several current NFL head coaches.

In November of 2002, Anderson was named to the NFL Committee on Workplace Diversity by Commissioner Tagliabue. A year later he was named to Sports Illustrated s list of the "101 Most Influential Minorities in Sports."

A native of Los Angeles, Anderson was an all-league high school quarterback and shortstop. As a scholarship athlete, he played both football and baseball at Stanford, earning a political science degree in 1976. In 1979, he graduated from Harvard Law School.

Anderson began his professional career as an attorney at Kilpatrick & Cody in Atlanta, working primarily in labor law litigation. In 1987 he launched his own sports agency, AR Sports, specializing in the representation of NFL coaches and players, which merged with Octagon in 2001.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no...we NEED a PROVEN Head Coach...Im tired of all this diversity crap...you cant please everyone, and if they hire a no-name black coach just to make the players and the city happy then Ill never so much as watch a Falcons game again...Singletary has as much experience as Mora did when we first hired him...are we ever going to learn to take a step foward without taking two steps back??

Michael Overman (12/17/2007)
wouldn't Ray Anderson be taking a demotion to come here though? The way I understand it is that his job now is a better one...am I wrong?

It's a rare opportunity for anyone, but Ray is familiar with the Falcons and Blank is familiar with Ray. He is just as or more qualified than McKay.

I don't believe Ray would see being President/GM of the Atlanta Falcons as a demotion. If he was 'second banana' to McKay (like in his previous capacity), then yes, I would agree..

Xgodawgs84X (12/17/2007)
no...we NEED a PROVEN Head Coach...Im tired of all this diversity crap...you cant please everyone, and if they hire a no-name black coach just to make the players and the city happy then Ill never so much as watch a Falcons game again...Singletary has as much experience as Mora did when we first hired him...are we ever going to learn to take a step foward without taking two steps back??

That diversity 'crap' is working alright in Pittsburgh and in Jacksonville and to a certain degree in Houston with their general manager Rick Smith and also in New York with their GM Jerry Reese...

It's not about making the majority of the 2007 Atlanta Falcons season ticket holders and the city of Atlana itself 'happy', it's about building a winning team, a consistent team for years to come..that's what selecting ray Anderson and hiring mike singletary is all about..

BobDigital v2.4 Std. Ed. (12/17/2007)
Anderson is the reason we're in this mess know. He was the one that brought the Ric Flair of dog fighting to Atlanta.

Are you referring to the best football player in Falcon history? YKW has learned from his bad judgment and bad associations, and he will be back on the field sooner than 2009..

Anderson will be able to truly build a team and with Singletary as coach (and leader) the Falcon curse can be truly over..

Anderson is just a phone call away, Arthur..

grendel (12/17/2007)
Michael Overman (12/17/2007)
wouldn't Ray Anderson be taking a demotion to come here though? The way I understand it is that his job now is a better one...am I wrong?

Being a franchise's GM is a more prestigious job, by far, but it's also a LOT more work.

And you know this because.........?

Burning down the house

Though Petrino took the blame, GM McKay may be source of Falcons woes

By Dan Parr

Dec. 17, 2007

After being fooled twice, Falcons owner Arthur Blank and president-general manager Rich McKay were splitting a fair share of shame after a disastrous week.

It began with a 23-month jail sentence for the team s former franchise player and quarterback, Michael Vick, on Dec. 10. Later that day, the team was sacked by the Saints 34-14 in a Monday Night Football debacle. Twenty-four hours later, head coach Bobby Petrino phoned in his resignation to Blank and was introduced as the new coach at the University of Arkansas.

Is this ****?

No, it s Atlanta.

Blank and McKay put their trust in Vick and Petrino, but both spurned them with lies Vick about his role in a dogfighting ring and Petrino in his commitment to the team. In a meeting prior to the New Orleans game, Petrino shook Blank s hand and told him, You have a head coach.

The Falcons hierarchy presented a united front during its press conference following Petrino s exit. Blank, one of the NFL s most hands-on owners, and McKay shared the stage to answer reporters questions. McKay said the decision to hire Petrino was one of consensus, made not solely by him but all of the team s top-level management. League sources, however, said this isn t the first time he has passed the buck after one of his handpicked coaches has departed.

If McKay is allowed to hire another coach, it will be his fourth coach in six years, said one veteran NFL executive. This is the guy who fired Tony Dungy (from the Bucs) don't forget and then blamed it on (Bucs owners) the Glazers when he could not get Marvin Lewis.

Arthur Blank needs to wake up. (Jon) Gruden is now on his third division title since taking over the team. He s kicking (Blank s) #####, and that s not going to change as long as McKay is in the building, making football decisions.

Multiple sources suspected that Blank, although loyal to McKay, will bring more people into the hiring process this time around, rather than relying too much on the GM, but that may not be enough. A complete overhaul of the front office would be good for the franchise, said one longtime NFL head coach, now retired. A face-saving option for Blank is to reassign McKay to a higher post, which would involve making fewer everyday football decisions, and hand him more administrative duties.

Blank spent part of the aftermath of Petrino s sudden exit meeting with his players. Falcons FB Ovie Mughelli told PFW that Blank made a promise to include them more in this search than he did in last year s, when Petrino was brought in.

What reassured us is that (Blank) was as upset and angry as we were, Mughelli said. He wasn t taking this lightly and felt as betrayed as we did. That was something we were able to grab onto. It would be a different story if he was trying to credit Coach Petrino or if we didn t know where he stood.

One of Blank s first calls to a prospective new coach was reportedly to former Steelers boss and CBS analyst Bill Cowher, but Cowher told the Falcons that it will be another year before he is ready to return. One of the next names on Blank s list will be 49ers assistant head coach/defense Mike Singletary, who was impressive in his interview with the Falcons last year before they hired Petrino. He has never been a head coach, though, and would need to assemble a very experienced staff in order to get the job.

Either of them would be great, Mughelli said. & It s hard to get worse than Coach Petrino after how he left, so just about any head coach would be better.

With McKay in place and the franchise in peril, just about anyone might be exactly whom the Falcons have to settle for.

(McKay) has earned a reputation as a coach-killer, said the former NFL coach. No one wants to work for the guy. Why do you think so many (coaches) have turned down job offers from him through the years?

It s going to be difficult to find a good coach who wants to work for him.

Xgodawgs84X (12/17/2007)

"no-name black coach"..................LOLOL........so Mike Singletary is no name? Oh that's right, this storied franchise only demands a coach that has at least one Lombardi under this belt...yeah.....okay. I believe your days of watching Falcons games are pretty numbered.

july425 (12/17/2007)
Xgodawgs84X (12/17/2007)

"no-name black coach"..................LOLOL........so Mike Singletary is no name? Oh that's right, this storied franchise only demands a coach that has at least one Lombardi under this belt...yeah.....okay. I believe your days of watching Falcons games are pretty numbered.

July,

Even though Singletary is the best choice right now, there will still be a lot of resistance against him from a cadre of message board skeptics, haters and some Anti-Vick folks in the media..

Singletary will be able to bring more things to the table than Mora and Petrino combined...

Xgodawgs84X (12/17/2007)
no...we NEED a PROVEN Head Coach...Im tired of all this diversity crap...you cant please everyone :crying:,

and if they hire a no-name black coach just to make the players and the city happy then Ill never so much as watch a Falcons game again...:pinch:

Singletary has as much experience as Mora did when we first hired him :ermm:"doh"

are we ever going to learn to take a step foward without taking two steps back??

THEN PREPARE TO NOT BE PLEASED :P

The NFC Championship Game is a step back now :blink: ?

And Hall of Fame Living Legends are NO NAMES :) ??

WOW !!!

Somebody forgot to tell me that ;):D

ATL--75 (12/17/2007)
BobDigital v2.4 Std. Ed. (12/17/2007)
Anderson is the reason we're in this mess know. He was the one that brought the Ric Flair of dog fighting to Atlanta.

Are you referring to the best football player in Falcon history? YKW has learned from his bad judgment and bad associations, and he will be back on the field sooner than 2009..

Speaking of the greatest player in falcon history, you must be speaking of one from the ring of honor. Naw, you probably mean the most infamous falcon player.

Anderson will be able to truly build a team and with Singletary as coach (and leader) the Falcon curse can be truly over..

Anderson is just a phone call away, Arthur..

Smashmouth (12/17/2007)
Xgodawgs84X (12/17/2007)
no...we NEED a PROVEN Head Coach...Im tired of all this diversity crap...you cant please everyone :crying:,

and if they hire a no-name black coach just to make the players and the city happy then Ill never so much as watch a Falcons game again...:pinch:

Singletary has as much experience as Mora did when we first hired him :ermm:"doh"

are we ever going to learn to take a step foward without taking two steps back??

THEN PREPARE TO NOT BE PLEASED :P

The NFC Championship Game is a step back now :blink: ?

And Hall of Fame Living Legends are NO NAMES :) ??

WOW !!!

Somebody forgot to tell me that ;):D

:w00t::D

Xgodawgs84X (12/17/2007)

Some of you people act like experienced, proven NFL HCs are a dime-a-dozen and just lining up for this job!! Just exactly where are all these coaches??

Ray is only a phone call away and so is Mike Singletary... Arthur, these guys won't let you down..

Please don't put pre-conditions to Mike's hiring or Ray's hiring in regards to Brooking and Dunn STILl being on the team for 2008..if Mike Singletary doesn't want them then so be it!

Xgodawgs84X (12/17/2007)

SEE YA! WOULDN'T WANT TO BE YA!

Arthur, I know you occasionally look at the boards and if you give Mr. Anderson a fair offer and Coach Singletary a fair offer, the Falcons will be back on track..

Help Singletary find solid assistant coaches who he feels comfortable with.. or talk to Marv Levy for ADVICE and consultation only for suggestion..

Plus, Jim Harbaugh at Stanford would be a nice choice for an assistant. Harbaugh is open minded in regards to dual threat QBs, has previous coaching experience and is son of a coach and a former player and a friend of Singletary..

Xgodawgs84X (12/17/2007)

ur a racist a-hole...and if i was close to u i would pull off a glove and smack u with it. and demand satisfaction...maybe we should get rid of all the black players on the team as well cooter bob!!

singeltary would be a good coach. he is proven a fraggin hall of famer. some of u just want to return to that good ole boy network and hire another re-tread.... its people like u that made me move from the south to the west coast backwards bumpkins...HIRE SINGLETARY AND ANDERSON AND LETS DO THIS!!!!

passthemagic40 (12/19/2007)
Xgodawgs84X (12/17/2007)

ur a racist a-hole...and if i was close to u i would pull off a glove and smack u with it. and demand satisfaction...maybe we should get rid of all the black players on the team as well cooter bob!!

singeltary would be a good coach. he is proven a fraggin hall of famer. some of u just want to return to that good ole boy network and hire another re-tread.... its people like u that made me move from the south to the west coast backwards bumpkins...HIRE SINGLETARY AND ANDERSON AND LETS DO THIS!!!!

How is he racist because he wants a proven head coach?

So just because singletary was a great football PLAYER, you think that automatically means he will be a good HEAD COACH? If that was true there would be 1000s of great head coaches in the league right now.

Face it, a LOT of people here just want Singletary for one reason and one reason only. And I would be willing to bet your welfare check that you are one of them.

Xgodawgs84X (12/17/2007)

I agree..Arthur needs to have that leap of faith..and just do it..

CaptainSkully (12/19/2007)
Xgodawgs84X (12/17/2007)

How is he racist because he wants a proven head coach?

So just because singletary was a great football PLAYER, you think that automatically means he will be a good HEAD COACH? If that was true there would be 1000s of great head coaches in the league right now.

Face it, a LOT of people here just want Singletary for one reason and one reason only. And I would be willing to bet your welfare check that you are one of them.

LOL!!! U people kill me...talk big when u type...wonder how much talk u would have if i was standin in front of u. welfare check? yeah thats it. i'm on welfare, my mom is crakc wh#$## what else..i got big lips...black people arent smart enough to play quaterbackor coach..we cant be Navy Seals cuz we lack good night vision...i can go on and on.. i've spent my whole life out performing the likes of you. in the classroom..UofL grad... ##### laude....on the gridiron(played ball at uof L and ran track) in the army.... and after that in the office. so bring it on cooter bob..bring it on lol!!! do i know for sure singletary would be a great coach? no i dont!! do i think his pedigree as a player and as a coach with the 49ers give hime the back ground to be good? yes!!! do i as a falcon fan want a marty S. or another has been good ol' boy to come in? no!! shouldmthe falcons consider all canidates.....regardless of race? yes!!!! so i'm gon hang a little mistle toe over the small of my back..do me a favor and kiss whats below it!!!!!!