A trade some may be interested in...

If Vilma's knee checks out 100% and he was ready to go by the start of next season, would you be interested in trading Houstons 2nd and our 2009 2nd to acquire him? He hadnt missed a game until this injury/medical problem and is a perfect fit for a Zimmer defensive scheme...

I dont know whether the Jets are looking to shop him or not, but it wouldnt be a bad deal for us in the long run. As i stated, only if he checks out 100% would i be interested...

grendel (12/17/2007)
No. He has a degenerative condition, and it's only going to come back again and again. Even if it's ok now, he's still damaged goods.

I am pretty sure I read that once the surgery was performed it fixed the condition. If that is the case I would w/o a doubt make a run for him. His is a top 5 4-3 MLB.

I dont think it would take 2 seconds though. I would give our 2nd and a conditional pick, or a player for him.

The only thing I could find now was that he did NOT have microfracture surgery (which would have been a worst case scenerio) and that there are no plans in place for further surgeries.

He was also quoted saying "They (the doctors) didn t talk about having to do further surgery. If it all goes right this should be one and done"

grendel (12/17/2007)
MSalmon (12/17/2007)
grendel (12/17/2007)
No. He has a degenerative condition, and it's only going to come back again and again. Even if it's ok now, he's still damaged goods.

Where did you get this info from? I thought it was just a normal injury.

They knew it could be a recurring problem back in '04.

Wow, their management is as stupid as ours. I'll take him for a 6th rounder

From what i understand, the condition he has is more likely to affect him in the later years of his life... That was one of the reasons the Jets proceeded to draft him, he checked out with the medico's and was good to go. I think Vilma is one **** of a 4-3 middle backer, and IMO the only guy in this upcoming draft that will be as good/better is Laurinaitis.

I have a feeling NY will trade Vilma in the offseason... If the Jets thought his knee was going to be a problem long term, why would they of drafted him? Furthermore, why wouldnt they have traded him in the last offseason when his value would of been greater? Surely the team doctors were keeping an eye on the condition of his knee... If he is passed medically, i would love to have him in black and red...

like I posted, the doctors said it shoudlnt require a 2nd surgery (unless there are complications). With that said, if his surgery fixed the problem, I would throw a 2nd for him over a roll of the dice player.

It is a tough call though because of the injury. talent wise, I highly doubt we are going to get a better MLB in round 2 than Vilma, since he is a top 3-5 MLB for the 4-3 scheme.