we BETTER draft mcfadden

mpizzle

if with the 2nd pick of the draft we decide to take a quarterback, that will undoubtedly be the worst decision of all time.

darren mcfadden is the exact player that we need. petrino to arkansas, mcfadden to atlanta.

he is the best player in the draft at a position that we absolutely DEMAND.

dunn is done, he cannot run anymore and norwood, as much as we all love him, is not going to be the back that we all think he can be. he gets hurt every game if he gets a significant amount of touches and thats precisely why he doesnt get any.

mcfadden/norwood would be great! we can draft a wide variety of quality QBs in this draft that can immediately begin to make an impact in the 2nd round.

darren would bring a great star power to atlanta that would help rekindle the support of the fans and fill the seats that we need to be filled at the dome.

we have a ton of money to spend in the offseason. with a good coach and the best player in the draft we have just the opportunity to turn this thing around that we need.

do not make another mistake.

There's no guarantee we will have the 2nd pick in the draft. It could be the 3rd or 4th pick, but I definitely agree with you that using it on a QB is a mistake. We need to draft whoever's left of McFadden and Jake Long.

We can use our two 2nd rounders to move back into the 1st round to get a QB.

georgiafan34 (12/16/2007)
haha we need alot of things guys. i want Run DMC bad too but he alone will not make or break a winning season.

But you have to admit that McFadden is an impact player. I mean if Norwood can look good behind this OL, imagine what a guy like McFadden could do. He would IMMEDIATELY take pressure off of the QB. That in itself would lessen our turnovers on offense. We could also benefit from some 3rd and shorts rather than all of the 3rd and 10s that we had this season. A good/great RB can have a BIG impact on this offense. I'm anxiously awaiting the combine results. :D

paul_k (12/16/2007)
There's no guarantee we will have the 2nd pick in the draft. It could be the 3rd or 4th pick, but I definitely agree with you that using it on a QB is a mistake. We need to draft whoever's left of McFadden and Jake Long.

Nope to packaging both 2nd's to move up to take a second round rookie QB in the 1st.

What we need will be there in the 2nd for us QB and oline wise.

We need to go RB in the 1st no doubt about it (QB and Oline in the 2nd.)

And pick up a couple free agent OLine and DT's to put in the mix.

Remember, it's not where you pick, but how you pick that makes or breaks your team.

This Draft is lining up quite nicely for us to stand pat and get what we need, not necessarily what we want.

I say be patient and see how things fall in the draft. ;)

Trim the roster of as much over paid non production as possible to make roster space, and hope for the best outta the New HC and his staff.

I like the way you think.:)

Smashmouth (12/16/2007)
paul_k (12/16/2007)

Nope to packaging both 2nd's to move up to take a second round rookie QB in the 1st.

What we need will be there in the 2nd for us QB and oline wise.

We need to go RB in the 1st no doubt about it (QB and Oline in the 2nd.)

And pick up a couple free agent OLine and DT's to put in the mix.

Remember, it's not where you pick, but how you pick that makes or breaks your team.

This Draft is lining up quite nicely for us to stand pat and get what we need, not necessarily what we want.

I say be patient and see how things fall in the draft. ;)

Trim the roster of as much over paid non production as possible to make roster space, and hope for the best outta the New HC and his staff.

according to my figures we should have the 2nd pick right now. i totally agree that mcfadden or dorsey should be our pick if it remains the 2nd overall. who knows maybe brohm is still there at #33. brady quinn almost was as the 2nd QB taken. the vikings QB has finally started to have success so they may not draft a QB at all on the first day. we need to generate a pass rush or a running game so dorsey or mcfadden are my choices and i stand firm with that.

fansince78 (12/16/2007)
He would not be a good pick for us at all.

If we don't get Jake Long, I hope we go with Dorsey.

WHAT IS THE FASCINATION WITH JAKE LONG?

We currently have nobody to run or pass the ball.

We are sooooooo beyond needing just an oline it isn't funny.

Maybe going back to zone blocking is a better idea and get stud RB's. We did great for years with the smaller zone blocking linemen.

Petrino gutted our oline to suit this fantasy offense that does nothing.

We can spend 5 years trying to get a huge oline and still have no running game. Without solid QB and RB's it doesn't matter what Jake Long could do.

If we plan on having a quarterback at some point in the future, the Falcons are going to have to put some people in front of him. This is known in the NFL as the offensive line.

Offensive linemen (like other players) are not all the same. In other words, some are better than others. Jake Long is the best offensive lineman available in the 2008 draft.

Did that clear it up for you?

Jake Long isn't Joe Thomas....if he was, I'd say grab him, but he isn't. He's a RT.....

Order of preference

1. DMAC- No brainer....he's the best player in the draft, and we are rebuilding...always go for the top talent when you are rebuilding...and it's a position of need and someone who can sell tickets and make the Falcons relevant again...the Vikings matter now because of AD.

2. Dorsey-top defensive talent available, a need position, and a very safe pick.

3. Sedrick Ellis- More athletic than Dorsey, but not quite as powerful....still a franchise UT. Zero problem with taking him in the top 5. He can play the run and the pass as a 1 gap penetrator. Would really help out the D, albeit not quite as much as Dorsey.

4. James Laurinittis- An elite MLB would help this team tremendously...showcases outstanding instincts and intangibles, to go along with elite athleticism and good size....will be a probowler for the foreseeable future, and help stabillize the defense...also very, very good in coverage. Again, a very safe pick.

If we end up taking Long, I will be very dissapointed.

there really isn't a qb worth spending the number 2 pick on in this draft. we really need Jake Long.

guys, just b/c we draft jake long doesn't mean we wont be picking anyone else. believe it or not, we still will have more draft picks. we can go after michael turner in the offseason to split carries with norwood. we can draft a qb in the second round. remember, our second round pick will probably be just out of the first round.

Long

Blalock

McClure

Forney

Clabo

that's not a bad oline. Blalock will be alot better, forney and mcclure are already solid, and long is a beast. you have to win the battle in the trenches.

Take Long in the first, Dorsey if Long is not available. Draft a qb in the second round.

buddrick (12/16/2007)
according to my figures we should have the 2nd pick right now. i totally agree that mcfadden or dorsey should be our pick if it remains the 2nd overall. who knows maybe brohm is still there at #33. brady quinn almost was as the 2nd QB taken. the vikings QB has finally started to have success so they may not draft a QB at all on the first day. we need to generate a pass rush or a running game so dorsey or mcfadden are my choices and i stand firm with that.

I'm afraid your figures are wrong. If the draft was held today, we would have the 4th pick. Hopefully, this will change next week.

michaelgee (12/16/2007)
fansince78 (12/16/2007)
He would not be a good pick for us at all.

If we don't get Jake Long, I hope we go with Dorsey.

WHAT IS THE FASCINATION WITH JAKE LONG?

We currently have nobody to run or pass the ball.

We are sooooooo beyond needing just an oline it isn't funny.

Maybe going back to zone blocking is a better idea and get stud RB's. We did great for years with the smaller zone blocking linemen.

Petrino gutted our oline to suit this fantasy offense that does nothing.

We can spend 5 years trying to get a huge oline and still have no running game. Without solid QB and RB's it doesn't matter what Jake Long could do.

We have a running back named Jerious Norwood. Everybody on the face of the planet wants to see Norwood get the ball 20-25 times a game EXCEPT the Falcons coaching staff. He's averaging 6+ yards a carry, yet still "isn't read" to start. We have the dumbest coaches in the NFL.

And so what happens if we draft a QB? He stands behind the same ****** offensive line that we've had for years and gets his ##### pushed in on every other play? Yeah, that's riveting football.

WHY ARE YOU ATLANTA FANS SO OBSESSED WITH THE FLASH AND JAZZ OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL?????

It's absolutely maddening. If you look at all the GREAT teams in the NFL there is one common trait amongst them-- they all have DOMINATING offensive lines. The Colts, Patriots, Packers, Cowboys, Jaguars, Steelers, Chargers, even the Browns this year. Joe Thomas has almost single-handedly improved that team. He opens holes for the resurgent Jamal Lewis and gives ample time to Derek Anderson.

It's not hard to figure out that when building a house you need to lay the foundation first. Same when building a team, you start with the foundation-- the offensive, and then defensive lines.

It's Football 101.