Who typically is the face of a NFL franchise

mgb05

I know this is not about the game today but a comment in the coach Thomas thread made me think about this question. I know who it was for the Falcons in the past. But what opinions do you have about the "face of a franchise" issue and do teams really need one? More specifically do the Falcons need one?

mgb05 (12/16/2007)
I know this is not about the game today but a comment in the coach Thomas thread made me think about this question. I know who it was for the Falcons in the past. But what opinions do you have about the "face of a franchise" issue and do teams really need one? More specifically do the Falcons need one?

IMHO, having a 'face of the franchise' is generally a good sign that your team is winning and contending for post-season play.

Think about the other teams in the NFL (both past and present) and for the most part you will find that most have a player(s) and sometimes a coach that represent the 'face' of the franchise. Typically they have earned the respect of players/coaches/management and fans due to their accomplishments on the field and ability to win games with their talent and heart. The 'face of the franchise' typically extends beyond the home region of that team.

Today's examples include: Tom Brady/Randy Moss-New England, Peyton Manning/Tony Dungy-Colts, Ray Lewis-Ravens.

Past examples include: Joe Montana/Steve Young/Jerry Rice-San Francisco, Walter Peyton-Chicago Bears, Vince Lombardi-Packers, and too many others to note.

As for our beloved ATL Falcons, IMHO there isn't anyone on the team today who would qualify, due to our well documented negative media coverage and on-field performance.

If you doubt that, simply ask some of your out of town friends and family who are not from Atlanta and see what they say about it. With our franchise in disarray and our documented weaknesses on the field, it's going to take some time for us to establish a winning personality.