Our D-Line is Horrible, specifically Jamaal Anderson

Where do I begin with our front four? Well I'll begin with " there horrible (save for John Abraham). I think John has about half of the falcons sacks this year. Jamaal Anderson doesnt have single sack this year and he was our 8th overall pick.....when your a top 10 pick in the draft you're drafted because teams need you to step up and make plays immediatley. When Jamaal finally had his oppurtunity to get a sack on Drew Brees last week, what happened a 6-6 280+ D-linemen gets brocken my a QB...PATHETIC! When Anderson is pass rushing I only see him use one move, th spin technique. Im starting to get a little concerned, eventually O-linemen are going to catch on and a third stinger could be stopping him. Im already seeing him as a bust. The coaching staff is saying that Jamaal is in there to stop the run, well dont think thats working, were 26(?) or so in rush defence. If Jamaal was say a fifth round pick, wouldnt he be cut by now? OF COURSE HE WOULD!!! We're only keeping here because he was our first round pick...

I really like Babs and Trey manning the gun at DT. Babs is a good run stuffer and is getting better at pass rushing. Trey really left an impression on me during pre-season. I know it was only pre-season, but after watching his power and rushing ability I saw that he had loads of talent waiting to be unleashed. He finished with only 1.5 sacks, but for a DT comming from nowhere, thats a good statistic. In this years draft we dont have to go a DT in the first round, but it still would be GREAT if we could snag dorsey. He is the most complete DT imo since warren sap came out. Dorsey can pass rush. and he can stop the run. With three good DTs we can have a good rotation and more of a pass rush, leading to more turnovers for our defence which is almost elite. At one point our pass D was 8th in the league, even with a horrible pass rush. Jus think what a decent or a good pass rush could do for us. Our defence lives on turnovers (were in the top 10 i believe for turnovers) and if we get Dorsey our defence will be feasting on turnovers. With a rotation of speed, power, and speed and power, opposing offensive linemen will begin to tire out= more sacks and turnovers. QBs will have nightmares for the rest of their lives.....

The only trade I can see happening for the Falcons is with Dallas.

Cowboys trade 22nd pick to the falcons for 2008 2nd(via houston) round pick and 2009 second round pick

So heres a two round mock

1. Glenn Dorsey DT/LSU

1b.(from dallas) Ryan Clady OT

2. Alex Boone/ Sam Baker OT (might slip, just have a strong feeling)

3. DJ Hall WR Alabama just another toy for our offence

3b. TE behind Crumps hes dropping waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to many balls

4. DE for depth

5. Art Comadoty K l'ville

6. KR....Jennings is a joke

7. LB for special teams, travis Williams is only 217 pounds

In the first three rounds of the draft we address both lines and finally the quarterback will have time to throw. I have faith in Redman and Norwood. With bigger holes Norwood and Snelling actually have holes to run through. Norwood is stronger than he sppears (he totally trucked someone on the sideline during the saints game; it was a safety). Snelling is the bruiser that will compliment Norwood well. Not only is Snelling strong, hes pretty fast for his size.

if we get sedrick ellis or glenn dorsey our defensive line would be significantly upgraded. like what amobi okoye did for mario williams this year. now, i dont expect jamaal to magically break 10 sacks next year, but i do expect him to get 5-6 to go along with his very good defense against the run. ellis would further solidify our run defense, and would help improve our interior pass rush, which we will miss after we release rod coleman (its not like he has been playing half a season for the past 2 years anyways).

our defensive line is much better than you give it credit for.

no its not. When we played the rams i expected to get around 3 or four sacks, with atleast two comming from jamaal, werent the rams down to their 3rd string? If Jamaal gets around 6 or seven sacks next year theres still hope. Lets just pray for that. I heard from the idiot coaching staff that Jamaal was playing the run. WHY? Hes a great threat at the LE position, why not take a huge amount of pressure off of John abraham?

bush (12/15/2007)
Where do I begin with our front four? Well I'll begin with " there horrible (save for John Abraham). I think John has about half of the falcons sacks this year. Jamaal Anderson doesnt have single sack this year and he was our 8th overall pick.....when your a top 10 pick in the draft you're drafted because teams need you to step up and make plays immediatley. When Jamaal finally had his oppurtunity to get a sack on Drew Brees last week, what happened a 6-6 280+ D-linemen gets brocken my a QB...PATHETIC! When Anderson is pass rushing I only see him use one move, th spin technique. Im starting to get a little concerned, eventually O-linemen are going to catch on and a third stinger could be stopping him. Im already seeing him as a bust. The coaching staff is saying that Jamaal is in there to stop the run, well dont think thats working, were 26(?) or so in rush defence. If Jamaal was say a fifth round pick, wouldnt he be cut by now? OF COURSE HE WOULD!!! We're only keeping here because he was our first round pick...

--Jamaal is not terrible he's got 24 Tackles, 1 FF and 3 Passes defended and plays all out. He's raw and not awesome, but the kid gives effort and shows a lot of athletic ability. But since you are completely calling him out, how bout are supreme pass rusher, Abraham. A grand total of 7 sacks this season--not exactly probowl caliber; not too mention he's the RDE and the main Pass rusher. In defense of our defense as a whole, our offense cant sustain drives, theyre on the field too long and teams are able to run at will as a whole as a result. Sacks and FFs come from teams being shut down in the run, but most importantly from sustainable offense and offensive leads allowing the pass rushers to pin their ears back and go.

I really like Babs and Trey manning the gun at DT. Babs is a good run stuffer and is getting better at pass rushing. Trey really left an impression on me during pre-season. I know it was only pre-season, but after watching his power and rushing ability I saw that he had loads of talent waiting to be unleashed. He finished with only 1.5 sacks, but for a DT comming from nowhere, thats a good statistic. In this years draft we dont have to go a DT in the first round, but it still would be GREAT if we could snag dorsey. He is the most complete DT imo since warren sap came out. Dorsey can pass rush. and he can stop the run. With three good DTs we can have a good rotation and more of a pass rush, leading to more turnovers for our defence which is almost elite. At one point our pass D was 8th in the league, even with a horrible pass rush. Jus think what a decent or a good pass rush could do for us. Our defence lives on turnovers (were in the top 10 i believe for turnovers) and if we get Dorsey our defence will be feasting on turnovers. With a rotation of speed, power, and speed and power, opposing offensive linemen will begin to tire out= more sacks and turnovers. QBs will have nightmares for the rest of their lives.....

Will an upgrade at DT make a difference? Absolutely. But guess what until we can run the ball sustain drives and score points and achieve some level of balance, it doesn't matter if who you put in at defense.

And don't go on and on about dominant defenses ruling and offenses being unimportant. Case in point the Ravens SB championship--awesome defense, balanced game managing offense. Not flashy but they could sustain drives.

The Bears are another example. Yes they had troubles w/ qb play their SB year, but they had Thomas Jones and just enough offense to sustain drives and keep their guys fresh. Chicago is a perfect example of an inadequate QB hindering them.

I'm telling you now. Draft a franchise QB, get an OL built and a running game using FA and the draft the defense will improve drastically and Jamaal and others will shine.

BTW i'm not saying don't draft defense look at my mock. I'm saying it's not the biggest problem right now.

The only trade I can see happening for the Falcons is with Dallas.

Cowboys trade 22nd pick to the falcons for 2008 2nd(via houston) round pick and 2009 second round pick

So heres a two round mock

1. Glenn Dorsey DT/LSU

1b.(from dallas) Ryan Clady OT

2. Alex Boone/ Sam Baker OT (might slip, just have a strong feeling)

3. DJ Hall WR Alabama just another toy for our offence

3b. TE behind Crumps hes dropping waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to many balls

4. DE for depth

5. Art Comadoty K l'ville

6. KR....Jennings is a joke

7. LB for special teams, travis Williams is only 217 pounds

In the first three rounds of the draft we address both lines and finally the quarterback will have time to throw. I have faith in Redman and Norwood. With bigger holes Norwood and Snelling actually have holes to run through. Norwood is stronger than he sppears (he totally trucked someone on the sideline during the saints game; it was a safety). Snelling is the bruiser that will compliment Norwood well. Not only is Snelling strong, hes pretty fast for his size.

So ultimately a guy that has only sustained sucess (limited in the pros) in a spread gimmick offense and is a journeyman in the purest sense is your only QB ? No draft pick to groom and build around? YOure also placing a helluva lot of faith in a FB seventh rounder--yes i said FB, who is far from dominant on any level and a scat back to maintain our running game?

I like your committment to Lines but all great teams are balanced. We are not.

Dude, get for real...Glad youre not GM.

did you see redman in any of his two games. In just two games he threw almost half of the amount of TDs that Leftwich and Harrington did ALL year. I dont like any of the quarterbacks that much this year. They all have major flaws in their game. Ryan doesnt even want to play for Atlanta, Brohm played in a weak teams, plus his arm is overexaggerated, and Woodson has a slow and awkward release, miuch like Byron Leftwich. And with our o-line i dont think Woodson is going to have enough time to get the ball out of his hands. Colt Brennen. Well hes a good questerback, but only in college. He's got numerous records, but he plays weak competition

bush (12/15/2007)
no its not. When we played the rams i expected to get around 3 or four sacks, with atleast two comming from jamaal, werent the rams down to their 3rd string? If Jamaal gets around 6 or seven sacks next year theres still hope. Lets just pray for that. I heard from the idiot coaching staff that Jamaal was playing the run. WHY? Hes a great threat at the LE position, why not take a huge amount of pressure off of John abraham?

Jamaal is playing the run because he's the DE on the strong side, which is where most running plays develop and go through. Jamaal and Abe have both been getting doubled up on BAD this year though because we don't have any interior threat. We had one with Grady Jackson, but he simply didn't play enough to have a real impact there.

Our run defense is not very good because we don't have strength on the interior with DT's who create opportunities for the DEs and LBs. That's absolutely necessary in a 4-3 for it to be effective. It also doesn't help that Brooking hasn't played as well this year as he has in the past... but again, that can be contributed to our lack of a complete d-line.

that gives us all the reason to draft dorsey with our first pick. Our defence will look sooo good it will make our offence look crazy. I dont understand why people are doubting the Falcons quaterbacks. Petrino's offence didnt work, isnt that possibly a reason that the quaterbacks werent getting the job done? When Petrino was hired i really didnt think it was going to work out, and in the end I was right. College offences, and coaches, will probobly never work in the NFL as headcoaches. To all Mcfadden lovers, even though I wouldnt mind him being a future falcon, give norwood a shot would you? He has great vision, speed, and adequit strength. If hes so injury prone, then let Snelling take the reps on third down and let Norwood be spelled by Snelling every once in a while. Having two good RBs in extremely important, so lets give then a years oppurtunity and see what happens. There are some good running backs in next years draft, so lets see how it plays out.

If we end up drafting a RB next year atleast our O-linemen that are new have time to adjust to the scheme and see what its like in the NFL. With that they can open up bigger holes for the new RB and in no time we'll have a 1000+ rusher again.

People check out these videos, there are way more but here are some:

http://www.nfl.com/players/jeriousnorwood/...le?id=NOR780922

Check the videos on the right side of the screen. Tell me what you think.

The thing about Norwood is that he's not the type of RB you want carrying the load throughout the season, because his explosiveness and speed are assets to be used in the right situations. McFadden is nowhere near essential to this team the way Glenn Dorsey is... tons of great RBs have come from everywhere but the top of the 1st round.

Norwood is a great weapon, but he is not an every down back in the NFL. We need to pair him up with a workhorse, rather than an older and shorter version of himself. Don't get me wrong, I love Dunn... but it's borderline insane to have Dunn and Norwood as the primary RBs without Vick to create all those opportunities for them.

thats true. Alright FA

Its time we got this o-line back in shape and free agency is the way to go

pickups:

Max Starks OL-he is a BEAST. He should help us right away

Alen Faneca(?)OL-This is a BIG if. While he is great, he is also aging. Hes 32. Were trying to get younger on the line, not older. Dont get me wrong, I would absolutely love Faneca here, but only for a short deal, maybe 2-3 year contract. Plus hes gooing to demand big money, and since we have around 40+ in cap room I think we use it on younger players. If we were somehow to get Faneca and Starks, there could be a possibilty of Cowher comming to ATL. Lets just pray...

Andrew Walters QB-He played for the Raiders. What else do I need to say about him? At one point he was a third round pick, and he is still VERY young. If all goes well here, we wont end up needing a quarterback. Walter has a great arm and I really think that he has a boatload of potential still.

Michael Turner RB-Im telling you, this guy could start for a number of teams right now. He is just the RB that we are looking for. What makes it even better is that he played behind the best RB, LT. Im guessing Turner learned a thing or two from him. Turner is quick, strong, has very good vision, and is that everydown back that we are lacking this year. I think he'll be a stud

Bryant Johnson WR-At one point this kid was a first round pick for the cards. 13th overall. We dont hea much about him because he playes behind Boldin and Fitzgerald. Johnson HAD to have learned a great deal from these two studs at WR. Johnson, as a third string WR, has mad 30+ catches every year in his career, and atleast one touchdown in every year also. If Bryant is signed there is no need for DJ Hall in the third round, so Dennis Dixon might be there for our taking. Check this WR corps out

1. Roddy White

2. Bryant Johnson/ Laurent Robinson ( I really like this kid)

3. Laurent Robinson/Bryant Johnson

4. Michael Jenkins

5. Adam Jennings

WOW! That would make our offence almost unstoppable. Teams would need 2 good CBs and 2 decent nickle CBs. Our offence would be set. It would be like the Lions offence.

Dallas Clark TE- Not really needed right now, but I think I'll shoot myself if alge drops another pass this season. Hes dropped atleast 7 this year, 5 comming against the saints last monday night....would be welcomed, however not totally needed

Bob Sanders SS-The colts are going to have to let someone leave this year. Its out of Clark, Sanders, and some of Mannings O-linemen. It most likely ends up being Sanders and/or Clark. Sanders should be a top priority, however with Peyton Manning leading the offence it seems unlikely. Without an o-line we dont know what would happen to Manning, so they most likely will try to renegociate Ryan Lilja's contract. Without Sanders we know what the Colts D look like (horrible) but if he is let go I wouldnt be surprised ( Cato June, Harper, Jason David)

Cuts/retire/not resigned

rod coleman

Joe horn

Lawyer Milloy

Wayne Gandy

Brian Finneran

Byron Leftwich

Joey Harrington

Kynan Forney

Demorrio Williams

resigned

DeAngelo Hall (I hope)

Michael Boley(I really really really hope)

Demorrio Williams (i dont think he finds another team, so Atlanta signs him for a cheaper price than he wanted)

Chris Crocker, hes been impressive this year

The Colts don't have any pressing needs... they can let their 2 OG's go and refill their tank on this ridiculously thick OL draft class.

They don't have a 1st round pick this year, so they may draft someone like Ali Highsmith in the 2nd round to shore up a bit of need on defense... then the rest of their draft is pretty much wide open. They can replace Ryan Lilja with Adam Kraus and Jake Scott with Eric Young and be set.

I really doubt that happening. Two rookies on the line? Manning will be spending more time looking at the pass rush than his recievers. I dont think that the Colts can replace them. Most likely the Colts will franchise Sanders and let Clark ride his horse outta Indie

Anyone want to give me feedback on the free agents, cuts, resignings, and retirements. I would really appreciate it, thanks!

bush (12/15/2007)
I really doubt that happening. Two rookies on the line? Manning will be spending more time looking at the pass rush than his recievers. I dont think that the Colts can replace them. Most likely the Colts will franchise Sanders and let Clark ride his horse outta Indie

Anyone want to give me feedback on the free agents, cuts, resignings, and retirements. I would really appreciate it, thanks!

You can't count anything out with the Colts. For several years now in a row they have let go of people to keep their core intact. Plus, the Colts draft very smart and tend to draft for need above anything.

Lilja and Scott aren't exactly the best in the business, I don't know why you seem to think they are indispensable. Lilja was undrafted and Scott was a 5th rounder. If anyone on that team is dispensable in the offseason, it's them.

Carter (12/16/2007)
bush (12/15/2007)

You can't count anything out with the Colts. For several years now in a row they have let go of people to keep their core intact. Plus, the Colts draft very smart and tend to draft for need above anything.

Lilja and Scott aren't exactly the best in the business, I don't know why you seem to think they are indispensable. Lilja was undrafted and Scott was a 5th rounder. If anyone on that team is dispensable in the offseason, it's them.

I seriously doubt that Indy would let both G's go in one off season. I dont think Manning would be to impressed working behind an OL comprised of a 2nd year LT and 2 rookies G's...

If anything, the Colts will let the RG go and slip a rookie in there, that atleast gives them a vet in between the 2 young players on the line...

Im not totally convinced yet, that Indy will resign Sanders... He is going to command absolute top dollar from teams like Atlanta. He may want to stay at Indy because they are consistently around the playoffs, but he may just want to be paid as well.

Sanders would be an excellent pickup for the Birds... If we somehow did sign him, and drafted guys like Laurinaitis/Okam or Dorsey/Leman our D would be well on its way...

Im still waiting to hear anything on Vilma's condition, and whether the Jets are still looking to ship him out. If his knee checks out, he would be another fantastic acquisition for the defense...

I agree it's unlikely that they dump both G's, but one of them is definitely gone if that's what it takes to create some room.

As for Vilma, I'm not entirely sure... but I do recall hearing something about him having a degenerative condition, which could shorten his career tremendously much like Garrison Hearst. I'm not 100% on that, but I do recall hearing something about it.

Carter (12/16/2007)
I agree it's unlikely that they dump both G's, but one of them is definitely gone if that's what it takes to create some room.

As for Vilma, I'm not entirely sure... but I do recall hearing something about him having a degenerative condition, which could shorten his career tremendously much like Garrison Hearst. I'm not 100% on that, but I do recall hearing something about it.

I knew it wasnt an injury as such, but i have heard he should be mainly unaffected by the condition until later on in life... Does anyone know what the condition is called?

Well I just did some quick research and found that his knee has been degenerative since college. He had surgery on November 7th and is currently on IR... even though Vilma himself doesn't know how he injured his knee and it was never made clear exactly which knee was causing the problem.

http://www.nyjetschat.com/forum/lofiversio...php?t20317.html

Thanks man...

Obviously the injury was much worse than just floating bone fragments. It will be interesting to see how he rehabs, and the condition he is in once the knee is healed. Man, a few of them Jets fans were pretty harsh on him:w00t: The guy was an absolute tackling force in a 4-3, and now theyre shitting on him over defensive transition.

I would take Vilma off their hands in a heartbeat, if he checks out with the trainers...

The key to a great DL is that all 4 can penatrate , and that one or two needs to always be double teamed , If that happens , well you do the math. That is why If I were a Coach or a GM , I would have the best DL in the NFL in a matter of time. Then I would have a power running game with huge OL , and I would do like SF last night and pass mostly high percentage plays . And only throw the long ball no more than I had to just to keep them guessing.

Draftnut57 (12/16/2007)
The key to a great DL is that all 4 can penatrate , and that one or two needs to always be double teamed , If that happens , well you do the math. That is why If I were a Coach or a GM , I would have the best DL in the NFL in a matter of time. Then I would have a power running game with huge OL , and I would do like SF last night and pass mostly high percentage plays . And only throw the long ball no more than I had to just to keep them guessing.

Nut, the key as you pointed out is balance. We've got to build the offense in order to get a great defense. Too many years of focusing on one or the other, rather than both.