these are the 2 guys i want as head coach

martyball in atlanta

or hue jackson

marty has a history of turning ##### into diamonds. from the browns to the chargers.

hue jackson i like because he knows the players our players like him and after reading about what was really going on he's been the guy in charge from the get go. had he been calling the plays we'd probably have a better record.

The reason Marty wouldn't excite me is because the ultimate goal is SuperBowl victory, and while Marty is an excellent coach, his record in the playoffs suggest this probably wouldn't happen. And I wouldn't want this team to be in a position the Chargers were in... meaning getting to the playoffs and being utterly disappointed every season, then having to look for a new HC.

I'd like the team to hire a coach that will be here for 15 years...

And as much as I would like Cowher, he may get burnt out again before too long, and some of the guys that have been a HC for a long time may burn out well before then. And that's one reason I really believe Mike Singletary is the man.

The Cush (12/15/2007)
The reason Marty wouldn't excite me is because the ultimate goal is SuperBowl victory, and while Marty is an excellent coach, his record in the playoffs suggest this probably wouldn't happen. And I wouldn't want this team to be in a position the Chargers were in... meaning getting to the playoffs and being utterly disappointed every season, then having to look for a new HC.

And as much as I would like Cowher, he may get burnt out again before too long, and some of the guys that have been a HC for a long time may burn out well before then. And that's one reason I really believe Mike Singletary is the man.

What has Singletary done to make you think he can coach a team to victory? Not his leadership, that's unquestioned. When has he developed a game plan, used that game plan with adjustments on the fly, and outcoached another NFL coach?

I think Singletary has all the qualities of a great NFL coach, I just don't think he has the experience yet.

Robb4242 (12/15/2007)
The Cush (12/15/2007)

What has Singletary done to make you think he can coach a team to victory? Not his leadership, that's unquestioned. When has he developed a game plan, used that game plan with adjustments on the fly, and outcoached another NFL coach?

He out"coached" other coaches when he was playing... It's true. Go back and watch some films about him. He studied so much tape, he was not fooled on the field.

There have been a lot of OC's and DC's in the league that have done what you have asked, but never made a good HC. I'm at the point where I believe that should no longer be the pre-requisite for HC jobs. There are only a tiny few coaches available (Cowher, Schottenheimer) that have proven they can be a great HC.

The Cush (12/15/2007)
Robb4242 (12/15/2007)
The Cush (12/15/2007)

He out"coached" other coaches when he was playing... It's true. Go back and watch some films about him. He studied so much tape, he was not fooled on the field.

There have been a lot of OC's and DC's in the league that have done what you have asked, but never made a good HC. I'm at the point where I believe that should no longer be the pre-requisite for HC jobs. There are only a tiny few coaches available (Cowher, Schottenheimer) that have proven they can be a great HC.

Agree with you, but.....even though some OC's & DC's fail, and prove that they are just great coordinators and not HC's, they do have the experience for the job. They spend hours upon hours watching tape from the time they played high school ball as well.

If we were in a different situation personnel wise, I'd think letting Singletary skip over the coordinator time might be ok, but I don't think this is the right place or time for that. If we can't get Shott or Cower, then I think we need to go with a well respected and experienced coordinator.

------------------------------------------

superbowl is a great dream but we need to 1st concentrate on a break even or a winning season 1st:w00t::w00t::w00t:

The Cush (12/15/2007)
The reason Marty wouldn't excite me is because the ultimate goal is SuperBowl victory, and while Marty is an excellent coach, his record in the playoffs suggest this probably wouldn't happen. And I wouldn't want this team to be in a position the Chargers were in... meaning getting to the playoffs and being utterly disappointed every season

For the sake of historical correctness, Marty only lost two games in the playoffs with the Chargers. I'd much rather be the Chargers with Marty than the Chargers without him.

They have the best talent in the league, yet they are only winning their division because they share it with Oakland, Denver and KC, three very lousy teams.

celtik

I'd like the idea of bringing in Singletary just for his personality, leadership, and ability to get the most out of his players. I'd think it would be most important to retain Hue Jackson as our Offensive Coordinator and ...brain freeze, can't think of our defensive coordinator's name right now... but keep that guy too! He's done a helluva job! Keeping both our coordinators with Singletary as the overall CEO/Leader might be the best move for our team.