What are the qualities a HC should have?

etherdome

I wanted Blank to hire Whiz. I thought his local ties and character warranted the job offer. When Petrino was hired and this board lit up with excitement, I went along. After all, we hired a "genius."

Let's understand this one principle: There are no geniuses in football.

So, what are the qualities we should be looking for? Here is a list of qualities that I believe are essential. Please note that I did not prioritize. If something is essential, then why prioritize?

1 The HC should be a man that earns respect by his actions, not his reputation. A reputation fades as soon as the going gets tough.

2 His X's and O's knowledge do not matter as much as his ability to delegate and put people to positions to succeed. We want a man who knows the game, but let's stay away from the new young "genius." The HC can hire all the "geniuses" he wants to help prepare the game plan.

3 The HC should have an organized mind. You can't waste time during the season, so an efficient mind is a requisite. Good decisions are most often made before the need arises. To do that, you have to be organized enough to think ahead.

4 The HC needs to be able to communicate. Players can not operate in a vacuum. Players are given their roles and the HC must clearly delineate them. He must also be able to represent the organization to the media. This is a business and it must be marketed.

5 The HC must be able to work well with his Front Office. This may require a change in the FO, if the right coach is at odds with the present FO. This is the stickiest point. McKay will be tempted to take this point and make it the greatest priority. After all, McKay is only human and will want to preserve his own position.

As the coaching search progresses, I will be referring to this list. I urge the rest of you to consider the above and add any essentials you would look for in our next HC.

bgarcia28 (12/15/2007)
I wanted Blank to hire Whiz. I thought his local ties and character warranted the job offer. When Petrino was hired and this board lit up with excitement, I went along. After all, we hired a "genius."

Let's understand this one principle: There are no geniuses in football.

So, what are the qualities we should be looking for? Here is a list of qualities that I believe are essential. Please note that I did not prioritize. If something is essential, then why prioritize?

1 The HC should be a man that earns respect by his actions, not his reputation. A reputation fades as soon as the going gets tough.

2 His X's and O's knowledge do not matter as much as his ability to delegate and put people to positions to succeed. We want a man who knows the game, but let's stay away from the new young "genius." The HC can hire all the "geniuses" he wants to help prepare the game plan.

3 The HC should have an organized mind. You can't waste time during the season, so an efficient mind is a requisite. Good decisions are most often made before the need arises. To do that, you have to be organized enough to think ahead.

4 The HC needs to be able to communicate. Players can not operate in a vacuum. Players are given their roles and the HC must clearly delineate them. He must also be able to represent the organization to the media. This is a business and it must be marketed.

5 The HC must be able to work well with his Front Office. This may require a change in the FO, if the right coach is at odds with the present FO. This is the stickiest point. McKay will be tempted to take this point and make it the greatest priority. After all, McKay is only human and will want to preserve his own position.

As the coaching search progresses, I will be referring to this list. I urge the rest of you to consider the above and add any essentials you would look for in our next HC.

1- Needs to be a leader

2- Needs to be respected by all the players

3- Needs to be a good communicator

4- Needs to put a solid discipline into his team

5- Should be Afroamerican

6- HOF appreciated

whisenhunt was my guy last year too. i was excited about petrino after researching him though. this year i want mike singletary. he may have actually been the best choice last year. with vick gone they may not target an offensive minded guy anymore. mckay always liked defensive minded guys in the past anyway. get back to your roots mckay!

he should be proven, and be able to communicate with the players.

everything zimmer is. our guys had fun in pratice, and thats because zimmer and hue jackson can actually pratice what they are going to use. do not mess up this flow, and make zimmer HC, and hue jackson OC for the next regime. all we have to do is get a new Line coach, and a wideout coach.

GOOD POST. AND YOU'RE RIGHT, WHEN THEY HIRED BOBBY P. ALL YOU COULD HEAR WAS, HE'S A COACHING GENIUS. HE HAS HIS OWN SYSTEM, HE IS GOING TO RIGHT THE SHIP, AND PETRINO IS MY HERO ....... WELL ..... HE ABANDONDED THE SHIP ..... AND HE IS NO LONGER A HERO. AT LEAST ONE GOOD THING CAME FROM IT ALL...... NOW WE NO LONGER DEMAND GOOD CHARACTER FROM JUST OUR PLAYERS, BUT OUR COACHES AS WELL.:)

ancient raptor (12/15/2007)
loozianafalcon (12/15/2007)
In no particular order:

1. Knowledge of the "PRO" game/strategist

2. Knowledge of talent at hand/talent to be drafted

3. "Open-door policy"/Communicator/player relations

4. Disciplinarian

5. Media relations

I like this list, but you MUST add integrity.

OK, let's refine the list. Once we can do that, it will become clear who our targets should be.

1 Knowledge: experience in the pro game with a good understanding of strategy. Not necessarily a "genius" but rather an architect that can translate the theory to the practical.

2 Eye for Talent: this applies to the draft, but more importantly, to the ability to see the talent already on this team. Understanding what each of his players can bring to the field and using that talent to its fullest.

3 Communication Skills: The HC must be able to communicate with his players. Players will work with greater fervor for a man that they feel understands them. To get to that point, the HC has to communicate with the player. He must also be able to address the media and become the face of the organization. He will act as the team's priciple marketer.

4 Disciplinarian: A disciplined worker that sets goals for his players and holds them accountable to that goal. He must lead by example and apply his code evenly and with wisdom.

5 Integrity: I don't think that I would have included this requirement before Petrino. Integrity renders all the above requirements valid. Without it, the entire stucture crumbles.

Sounds like the other "Bill", as in "Parcells", who is rarely mentioned for some reason. The only person I can think of who is really "PROVEN". The guy takes four different teams, and has them in the playoff hunt every time. And then he leaves them, (and all of his assistant disciples), for someone else to enjoy for a while.