Could our Next HC come from Cleveland?

celtiksage

Long Read but interesting, and he hasn't really crossed my mind as much of a candidate, but I wonder if he could bring Anderson along with him?

Falcons could make one and done for Chud

JEFF SCHUDEL, Morning Journal Writer

12/15/2007

BEREA -- All these cliches apply as the Browns seek to clinch a playoff berth tomorrow in their critical home game against the Bills:

Make hay while the sun shines.

No time like the present.

Opportunity doesn't knock twice.

Better win this year, because by next season there's a chance offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski might be head coach of the Atlanta Falcons. What?! Where did that last one come from?

According to a story on theOBR.com, Chudzinski's resume has been discussed by team officials in Atlanta with the thought of selecting Chud next season to replace Bobby Petrino, who on Tuesday bailed on the Falcons to become head coach at the University of Arkansas.

Petrino had three games and four years left on his original contract when he resigned. The Falcons, 4-9, are finishing 2007 with interim coach Emmitt Thomas.

The Falcons have not asked the Browns permission to speak with Chud yet because the process has not progressed to that point, but nevertheless his name is out there as a viable candidate.

The news seemed to catch Chudzinski by surprise Friday.

''There is?'' Chud said when told a report was on the Internet. ''Right now, honestly, all I'm worried about is what we're doing right now. I don't have time to see my son, much less time to think about any of those other things.

''Right now it's about winning this game this weekend. There is nothing else on my mind.''

The Browns, 8-5, can clinch at least a wild card playoff spot today if they beat the Bills and Kansas City beats Tennessee.

Coordinators about to become head coaches always say what Chudzinski said. When the Giants were in the Super Bowl after the 1990 season and everybody knew defensive coordinator Bill Belichick would be the next Browns head coach, Belichick refused to talk about anything except the Giants and their Super Bowl opponent, coincidentally the Buffalo Bills.

And though 2008 might be too soon to reward Chudzinski, 39, with a head coaching job after just one season as offensive coordinator -- he was an NFL tight ends coach for three seasons before he was given the reins of the Browns offense -- the players he coaches have no doubt he will be a head coach sooner rather than later.

''He's a young coach in the league, but along with that you see how good he will be because he is so young,'' wide receiver Joe Jurevicius said. ''He definitely has potential. He has a vision and he sticks to his vision. I think that's a quality of a leader. He leads us on what he expects us to do and how he'd like to see us do it. I think that plays a big role in our success.''

Tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. agreed.

Winslow knows Chud as well as anybody because, from 2001-2003, Chudzinski was Winslow's offensive coordinator and tight ends coach at the University of Miami. He was also Winslow's tight ends coach with the Browns in 2004, but Winslow's rookie season ended after two games because his right leg was broken and his right ankle ligaments were torn while trying to recover an onside kick in Dallas.

Chudzinski coached the San Diego tight ends in 2005 and '06.

''He commands respect and the guys listen to him,'' Winslow said. ''His leadership skills are up there with the best. It won't be long at all until Chud is a head coach.

''I think he's ready. He's a great coach. There are a lot of great coaches. It's all about timing.''

Timing is why making the playoffs this season is so important to the Browns.

There is no guarantee the next offensive coordinator, whether it is 2008, 2009 or beyond, will duplicate what Chudzinski has done.

In his first year calling plays, the Browns are close to breaking three significant team records -- points scored (record 415, 360 points scored with three games left); touchdown passes (record 30 by Brian Sipe in 1980, 26 thrown by Derek Anderson) and touchdowns by a receiver (Braylon Edwards last week tied Gary Collins' team record of 13 set in 1963). The Browns lead the NFL with an average of 13 yards a completion.

Jamal Lewis has rushed for nine touchdowns, already the most by a Browns runner since Kevin Mack rushed for 10 in 1986. The last time a Browns rusher scored more than 10 touchdowns was 1968, when Leroy Kelly scored 16 times on the ground.

Chudzinski is designing a game plan for tomorrow that features Lewis and Derek Anderson whipping the ball to Winslow, Jurevicius and Braylon Edwards. He said he has to be flexible in play calling because the weather forecast calls for wind, cold and snow. It could just as easily be a dry and cold day.

''I think what you do going into the game is you have some contingencies because a lot of times it's not just one or the other (pass or run),'' Chudzinski said. ''It's a degree of what the weather is like. This week we've planned on that, so we have some things we'll go to more and feature more if the weather is an issue.

''If it's not, then we have the rest of our plan. I wouldn't say you divide it into two, but there are definitely parts of the plan that are going to be geared more towards dealing with weather conditions.''

The Bills are susceptible to the run and pass. They have allowed 12 rushing touchdowns and 18 through the air.

Peek sits again

Outside linebacker Antwan Peek missed practice for the third straight day tomorrow because of a sprained ankle. He is listed as doubtful and is very unlikely to play.

Jurevicius practiced on a limited basis. He is listed as questionable. He vows to play. Jurevicius missed practice Wednesday and Thursday with a sore knee.

Fans can help

Fans in the holiday spirit attending the Browns game Sunday are being asked to take a new toy valued at $10 and deposit in a bin outside Cleveland Browns Stadium.

Chudzinski is a very good OC. He has a great offensive philosophy. It would stink for CLE to lose him already, since they just got him on board this season.

He is kind of unproven (1st year as NFL OC) but is a great offensive coach. We would defiantely be attacking the field with him. I wonder if he would give us any leverage in getting one of the Browns QBs? I am sure the WRs and Crumpler would LOVE working for this guy, since he attacks defenses with the big play. (CLE is #1 in the NFL in yards per play)

Hey hey hey... what is this?

Folks, the reporter here is attributing a fan site for this information.

Our organization is no doubt casting a wide net in this coaching search, but let's not get carried away on an article based on a fan site that focuses on the Browns.

Now if the Mod is trying to shut down the rumor, it MUST be true. HAHAHAHA ;):D:w00t:

LMAO

It was just something I hadn't seen posted on here. I mean we're just speculating, so we might as well speculate away and not limit ourselves to 1 (Singletary) candidate.

And since you saw this, could you ask McKay and Blank to throw this guy's name in the hat for something. Heh heh heh

celtik

celtiksage (12/15/2007)
Hey hey hey... what is this?
Folks, the reporter here is attributing a fan site for this information.

Our organization is no doubt casting a wide net in this coaching search, but let's not get carried away on an article based on a fan site that focuses on the Browns.

Now if the Mod is trying to shut down the rumor, it MUST be true. HAHAHAHA ;):D:w00t:

LMAO

It was just something I hadn't seen posted on here. I mean we're just speculating, so we might as well speculate away and not limit ourselves to 1 (Singletary) candidate.

And since you saw this, could you ask McKay and Blank to throw this guy's name in the hat for something. Heh heh heh

celtik

I 2nd the Motion Mr Moderator , All in favor say " I " .

1989fan (12/15/2007)
Chudzinski is a very good OC. He has a great offensive philosophy. It would stink for CLE to lose him already, since they just got him on board this season.

He is kind of unproven (1st year as NFL OC) but is a great offensive coach. We would defiantely be attacking the field with him. I wonder if he would give us any leverage in getting one of the Browns QBs? I am sure the WRs and Crumpler would LOVE working for this guy, since he attacks defenses with the big play. (CLE is #1 in the NFL in yards per play)

Joe Thomas has a way of making and offense look better. Chud might be good, but I suspect Thomas is the real difference maker.

Draftnut57 (12/15/2007)
I said last week I would love this move , I'm glad ot see the interest I'd love it, Plus I hope he brings either Anderson or Quinn with him. :D

IF WE'D HAVE DRAFTED LT ......... DO YOU THINK HE'D STILL BE LT RIGHT NOW? AND IF YOU THINK CLEVELAND IS GOING TO PART WITH ANDERSON ....... MAYBE YOU NEED TO CHANGE YOUR BRAND.:D BUT I HEAR WHAT YOU'RE SAYING.