Congrats to my Alma Mater--Northside Eagles!!

capologist

GHSA AAAA Back to Back State Champs. Only the 7th time in Georgia football history that a team has gone 15-0 back to back years.

The bigger story is that they did it for Chris Johnson #96. In case you don't know, Chris Johnson was 17 years old and entering his senior season but battling cancer and unable to play. He lost his fight in June of this year and the season was dedicated to him. You can now rest in peace Chris, the boys got it done!

Ton80Kid (12/14/2007)
Congrats to Northside...they've earned all of their successes and then some...unfortunately, just like my alma mater (Warner Robins High School) learned the year after our last state title, that trip to 5AAAAA sucks...:(

It's definitely going to be tough, no question about that...

I graduated from Westside and used to hate gettin beat by ya'll every year (except for that one time...lol) when all three of us (Westside, Northside, and Warner Robins) were still in AAAAA.

Northside earned this state title though. No cake walks in the semis or in the final game that's for sure. Are yall still nationally ranked? I know towards the beginning of the year yall were in the top 25.

And don't dread the move back to AAAAA, that's where the big boys are supposed to play! I wish Coach Davis would move us back up to AAAAA...

dan9124 (12/15/2007)
I graduated from Westside and used to hate gettin beat by ya'll every year (except for that one time...lol) when all three of us (Westside, Northside, and Warner Robins) were still in AAAAA.

Northside earned this state title though. No cake walks in the semis or in the final game that's for sure. Are yall still nationally ranked? I know towards the beginning of the year yall were in the top 25.

And don't dread the move back to AAAAA, that's where the big boys are supposed to play! I wish Coach Davis would move us back up to AAAAA...

Prior to this game we were ranked #7 by USA Today and CNN/SI. Hopefully, we'll crack the top 5.

I don't necessarily dread the move, I just think it would have made more sense to group WR, NHS, and HoCo with Atlanta schools given the 96 mile rule in GHSA sports...

dan9124 (12/15/2007)
what's the 96 mile rule?

GHSA Constitution rule 2.66, "Only one day and/or night preceding a school day per week may be used for a contest or activity with a starting time of 6 p.m. or later. Regional, Sectional and/or State playoffs are exempt from this rule. ... Teams playing any regular season contest when there are classes the next day shall be limited to a travel distance of no more than 100 miles one way.";)

dan9124 (12/15/2007)
what's the 96 mile rule?

In looking for a concise definition, it's actually a 200 mile rule and it's basically this:

GHSA rules stipulate that no team may travel more than 200 miles round-trip on a school night. That means the Warner Robins schools can play the other Region 1 schools only on a Friday or a Saturday.

It's not so bad for football but for baseball, basketball and softball it will be tougher scheduling wise. I'm sure they'll work around it though...

Congrats NHS! I'm a senior at HoCo, we blow, but I'm glad Northside won gotta rep Warner Robins. Also, Northside's QB Marques Ivory lives in my neighborhood and I've played sports with him since I was a kid. His performance in the second half of the semi-finals game was incredible, and I'm sure there were quite a few scouts at that game. Hope to see him in a DI school.

falconknight (12/15/2007)
Congrats NHS! I'm a senior at HoCo, we blow, but I'm glad Northside won gotta rep Warner Robins. Also, Northside's QB Marques Ivory lives in my neighborhood and I've played sports with him since I was a kid. His performance in the second half of the semi-finals game was incredible, and I'm sure there were quite a few scouts at that game. Hope to see him in a DI school.

I went to school with his dad...:blink:

Congrats to Northside. It was really a down year for football in the Middle Georgia area, with NHS, Dublin, and Perry being the only teams to make an impact in the playoffs. My beloved Peach County Trojans did not make it out of the 1st round this year, but I am positive we will get things turned around next season, albeit in a much tougher region.

Congrats to Lowdnes, ECI, Buford, and Carver-Columbus, on their championships! They are just some of the reasons that Georgia High School Football is among the best in the nation!!!!