I'm only going to say this one time but I absolutely mean it.

jidady

Ever since the Petrino story broke, I've felt a weight lifted off of my shoulders. In point of fact, a couple of my dearest friends were starting to wonder if I had cracked, because I have been laughing myself silly over the whole Petrino affair. As a lifelong Falcons fan, they had expected me to feel further embarrassment over our coach on MNF performing Woo! Pig Sooey! live on Sports Centers roughly 24 hours later. To their surprise, I've been giggling over it even more than they have.

I keep seeing people expressing frustration, outrage, and disappointment over one of the worst years any sports franchise has ever endured. I am no longer with you guys on this point. For myself, I am feeling a sense of relief. As of Tuesday afternoon, it's over. We have finally hit bottom and I know this. All year long in Pure Football, I have been bumping the Disaster Season thread, which chronicled the astonishing series of events that left the Falcons in this state. We've had boating accidents, weightlifting accidents, unconscionable run-ins with dogs, depth chart-neutralizing in-season injuries, QB failures, QB incarcerations and oh so much more over the past 12 months.

Each day, I have wondered what would happen next. I have lived in fear of further humiliations. I am a lifelong Atlanta Falcons fan, after all. Sadly, such emotional paranoia was founded in truth. It kept getting worse and worse and we just couldn't make it stop. Until Tuesday. The instant Bobby Petrino turned tail and fled, I knew it was over. The worst has happened. Our head coach has turtled. There is nothing worse that could happen to the franchise and, even better from my perspective, we now have a fall guy for all of this.

The players who liked our fallen QB have been off-balance the entire season. The players who did not felt rage over the ramifications of his inexplicable actions. Ours was a locker room divided, and we have played like it more often than not. The one universality the group had is an intense dislike of a genius of Xs and Os who is no longer here. In this man's absence, all of the team's emotional rage and feelings of abandonment towards someone else may be directed this man's way.

Bobby Petrino has left. Almost to a person, everyone hates him for his actions. He behaved dishonorably, and he has been discharged as a failure and a coward. The players are relieved that they may finally start to enjoy their professions again, a rare instance where fans may relate to athletes. We all have at least incidental experience with Boss from **** Syndrome. We all know the joy of realizing such a boss is gone. This is where the Atlanta Falcons stand now.

The worst is over. We have finally hit rock bottom. Now, we are afforded the opportunity to completely reboot, starting from scratch with a new head coach, a new offensive philosophy, a new (series of) quarterback(s), and a moral certainty that we know it can never get worse than it did this past week. I feel such a sense of relief and comfort in this knowledge.

We are free.

Or I really have cracked. It could go either way.

Great post, Mr. Blank!

Seriously, though, I agree. Who would have seen this coming, but in light of everything, it brings a breath of fresh air. The players are saying that BP would call plays and schemes they hadn't practiced, had a lot of high school rules, etc. Now, they're saying that the vets are having some say during practices - it just seems like they WANT to be there now. Of course, D Hall has changed his tune about staying in ATL as well. Remember that after Reeves was fired, Phillips won 2 of the last 3 games. I wouldn't be surprised to see them win one of these last three (I know - and screw up our draft order:) )

And you know what? As dismal as it may seem, the way the NFL works, this team can be back FAST.

I actually think this offseason will be the "rebirth" that we all thought would happen when Arthur Blank bought the tEAM. But the Falcons weren't really seen as a total rebuild then. Vick was here. Reeves was here.

Now, we have a clean slate, from HC to QB. With ONE tremendous offseason, the Falcons could be better off tomorrow than they were yesterday.

jidady (12/14/2007)
Ever since the Petrino story broke, I've felt a weight lifted off of my shoulders. In point of fact, a couple of my dearest friends were starting to wonder if I had cracked, because I have been laughing myself silly over the whole Petrino affair. As a lifelong Falcons fan, they had expected me to feel further embarrassment over our coach on MNF performing Woo! Pig Sooey! live on Sports Centers roughly 24 hours later. To their surprise, I've been giggling over it even more than they have.

I keep seeing people expressing frustration, outrage, and disappointment over one of the worst years any sports franchise has ever endured. I am no longer with you guys on this point. For myself, I am feeling a sense of relief. As of Tuesday afternoon, it's over. We have finally hit bottom and I know this. All year long in Pure Football, I have been bumping the Disaster Season thread, which chronicled the astonishing series of events that left the Falcons in this state. We've had boating accidents, weightlifting accidents, unconscionable run-ins with dogs, depth chart-neutralizing in-season injuries, QB failures, QB incarcerations and oh so much more over the past 12 months.

Each day, I have wondered what would happen next. I have lived in fear of further humiliations. I am a lifelong Atlanta Falcons fan, after all. Sadly, such emotional paranoia was founded in truth. It kept getting worse and worse and we just couldn't make it stop. Until Tuesday. The instant Bobby Petrino turned tail and fled, I knew it was over. The worst has happened. Our head coach has turtled. There is nothing worse that could happen to the franchise and, even better from my perspective, we now have a fall guy for all of this.

The players who liked our fallen QB have been off-balance the entire season. The players who did not felt rage over the ramifications of his inexplicable actions. Ours was a locker room divided, and we have played like it more often than not. The one universality the group had is an intense dislike of a genius of Xs and Os who is no longer here. In this man's absence, all of the team's emotional rage and feelings of abandonment towards someone else may be directed this man's way.

Bobby Petrino has left. Almost to a person, everyone hates him for his actions. He behaved dishonorably, and he has been discharged as a failure and a coward. The players are relieved that they may finally start to enjoy their professions again, a rare instance where fans may relate to athletes. We all have at least incidental experience with Boss from **** Syndrome. We all know the joy of realizing such a boss is gone. This is where the Atlanta Falcons stand now.

The worst is over. We have finally hit rock bottom. Now, we are afforded the opportunity to completely reboot, starting from scratch with a new head coach, a new offensive philosophy, a new (series of) quarterback(s), and a moral certainty that we know it can never get worse than it did this past week. I feel such a sense of relief and comfort in this knowledge.

We are free.

Or I really have cracked. It could go either way.

Very good post. Too bad that with the former coach gone the players can now have an excuse and finger point, and not look at just how inept they have been.

Agreed and well said. However, your post underscores what continues to be the most Unspoken, Under-reported, Under-recognized and gigantic elephant-in-the-room for any Falcons fan....it was our owner that hired him. it was our owner that fired a seasoned and proved winner and lifelong NFL achiever in addtion to a 3rd year HC up and comer that has forgotten more football than the owner will ever know, it was our owner who committed the ONE sin that all owners must know to not do....you must know WHO your going to hire, BEFORE you fire the one you know.

it was our owner that ENABLED the franchise quaterback to embody the punk, cool, rebellisouness gang-sta lifestyle as the FACE of the franchise, all the while turning a blind-eye to clear signs that it wasn't simply a wardrobe choice.

So before we all go throw a parade that the End is hear, and the worst is over....let's start looking for signs that our BONE HEAD owner has learned his lessons and will relagate himself to the writing of checks.....from the owner's box, not the sidelines.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...