Bill Cowher for HC.......

1989Fan

Reason Cowher would come to ATL:

1) He wants to coach in the south east to be close to home.

2) ATL has a top notch owner, who coaches would like to coach for

3) Blank will do what is needed to win at all costs. Not many owners will do that

4) They are willing to give the right candidate all personell power needed

5) We have GREAT position in the draft this year. And a great young base of players to work with. Both of these things would be important for him to build HIS team.

6) The best training facilities in the NFL

7) He can really cement his legacy here. He comes to a team in turmoil, and turns them around into contenders. It really would be a fairy tale story for the coach. He would be a hero.

8) Blank would make him the highest paid coach ever.

Reasons he might not want to come here:

1) He wanted to wait another year before returning to coaching

2) He could want to go to CAR to be real close to home

3) He could want to go to a team who is a contender. (Although honestly, this team is a season or two our IF we get the right QB and OL help.)

Reasons Cowher is the guy we NEED:

1) This franchise is down, and Cowher would bring hope and excitement to the franchise base, much like a franchise player would.

2) Free agents would WANT to come here to play for him. With Cowher as coach, players will feel that success is near...as they should.

3) It could get us Alan Faneca

4) The players will respect him, and want to win for him. He will bring a tough attitude, and no nonsense, but he is also good to his players, and they love him.

5) He will unify the locker room, win on the field, and unite the fanbase.

BRING THE CHIN TO THE ATL AT ALL COSTS!!!!

McKay said he has some interesting names already of coaches interested in the position. I would love to see Cowher as one of theose names. I really think the ONLY hurdle to getting him here is that he didnt want to coach again until the 2009 season.

Feel free to comment on any things I might have missed on why he would or wouldnt want to come here, or why he would or wouldnt be the right guy.

very good argument.

i really like cowher.

i also agree that he would make it much easier for us to be active in the free agent market and our players would instantly buy into his system.

the biggest things that stand in the way are as you stated, his desire to spend 08 out of coaching, and in my opinion bringing a 3-4 to atlanta. we are very well structered right now for a 4-3, and i think switching personel to a 3-4 would set us back.

Abraham has shown tremendous athletic ability this season when he's dropped back into coverage, but there is no way he would be suited for a 3-4. that would be taking away his biggest strength of being a pure pass rusher. Also, i know anderson hasn't shown much stats wise this year, that draft pick would be completley wasted if we switched to a 3-4. i think he will develop into a good DE.

Switching to a 3-4 next year would mean we have just as many holes on defense as we do on offense, making this a very very slow rebuilding process and another complete scheme change and overhaul. if cowher is willing to continue running our 4-3, then i would dance like a little kid at christmas if we bring him here.

Also, zimmer was not happy in dallas when parcells came in and made him run a 3-4. i feel like if cowher came here, we would lose zimmer.

looking at how well a 3-4 can work this year in pitts, it's a great defense if it has the right personell, but it is a horrible defense if even one piece is missing. a 4-3 allows more wiggle room and is easier to compensate talent defeciencies(sp) on the field.

I agree Cowher would bring the 3-4 in. I am fine with that. He would likely make it a gradual change though, like TOmlin is doing in PIT (moving to cover 2).

We have personnel who would fit in the 3-4 at some spots. The players that have played it beofre however, dont like it as much.

Abraham played 3-4 OLB, and was good there. He wanted out of NYJ however because he wanted to be a DE. He and Boley would be GREAT 3-4 OLB since both of them have the build, and have played pass rush DE in their past.

Rod COleman previously played DE in a 3-4, but commented how he prefers the inside. But if he would agree, it would work.

I also think Anderson would be an ideal 3-4 DE personally. It fits his skillset more, from what he has shown this year.

We have nothing @ ILB though. Brooking has played in the 3-4, but doesnt like taking on the blockers.

My biggest concern would be the NT, although I think Lewis would work. He takes on blockers well. He has enough size @ 320+ and his athletisism would make him a great middle man if he developed. That is putting alot of eggs in one basket though.

I agree we are not built for the 3-4 right now, but if it took that to get Cowher here, I would be fine with it.

Suppo81 (12/14/2007)
You have to fire McKay to get Cowher or Schottenheimer. And I think Blank's already said numerous times McKay will be in Atlanta next year. So forget about Marty or Bill Cowher. It's a dream, not a reality.

I don't understand why people insist that this is true...it is not. If Singletary comes here, he will also want and will probably get total control. It depends on the coach and his experience as to how much control Blank and McKay will give him

fansince78 (12/14/2007)
Suppo81 (12/14/2007)
You have to fire McKay to get Cowher or Schottenheimer. And I think Blank's already said numerous times McKay will be in Atlanta next year. So forget about Marty or Bill Cowher. It's a dream, not a reality.

I don't understand why people insist that this is true...it is not. If Singletary comes here, he will also want and will probably get total control. It depends on the coach and his experience as to how much control Blank and McKay will give him

See Jon Gruden and Bill Parcells for examples. And look at who McKay has hired. College coaches and coordinators. Remember he didn't hire Gruden, he wanted Marvin Lewis. The Glazers overruled him.

Bill Parcells said he would not go to Tampa if McKay was GM. That's why the Bucs had Tannenbaum in place to be the GM at the time.

Rumors are Cowher wants to be HC and GM. I personally think Atlanta should give him whatever he wants.

1989fan (12/14/2007)

7) He can really cement his legacy here. He comes to a team in turmoil, and turns them around into contenders. It really would be a fairy tale story for the coach. He would be a hero.

Excellent post 1989, but the thing that stuck out to me most was the underlined part. I just don't think he would come here. Not to say he's not a guy to accept a challenge, but there are just so MANY challenges here. From Blank & McKay, probably all the way down to the waterboy (although I did hear our waterboys are having a stellar year.)

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see Cowher come here and be the hero. I just think we've got a snowball's chance in he.ll of that actually happening.

1989fan (12/14/2007)

1) He wants to coach in the south east to be close to home.

Speculation.

2) ATL has a top notch owner, who coaches would like to coach for

Right...he's really been bringing in some great coaches. I would think he'd find better coaches if they were lined up at the door and "really wanted to coach for him". Don't you?

3) Blank will do what is needed to win at all costs. Not many owners will do that

No proof of this.

4) They are willing to give the right candidate all personell power needed

Oh you mean like he did with Petrino? There are various reports talking about how Petrino was bothered by Blank's meddling with the team. Not to mention McKay is a ##### who would never give up his power.

5) We have GREAT position in the draft this year. And a great young base of players to work with. Both of these things would be important for him to build HIS team.

Great draft position for sure. You have that at least.

6) The best training facilities in the NFL

Lol. If this were even the case, I seriously doubt it would have an effect on Cowher in regards to choosing a team.

It would be a great story....too bad it's likely impossible.

8) Blank would make him the highest paid coach ever.

If there were any chance of Cowher coming to Atlanta, this would be why. Blank would definately have to make him the highest paid coach ever.

Cowher wants nothing to do with Atlanta, and who can blame him? Only a coach desperate to become a Head Coach will come to Atlanta. Cowher isn't this, he can basically pick and choose what he wants. Sorry Falcons fans.