Would you turn the falcons defense to a 3-4

EFC-Falcon

Absolutely not. Abe would immediately want out, and I'm not losing our best defensive player because a coach wants to change schemes. Whoever we hire needs to keep Zimmer and let him do his thing with the D. Barring injuries, we showed alot of promise on the defensive side of the ball under his leadership this year. I can't wait to see what new players, getting back the injured guys and another training camp does for the D.

We don't have the size to pull off a 3-4.

We don't have the NT. We DID but the guy that was going to "right the ship" cut him.

We MIGHT have some people that could play DE in a 3-4. They're basically 4-3 DTs.

We DO NOT have the right type of OLB's for a 3-4.

Remember that we have a smaller faster defense. Most of the 3-4s I've seen have a bigger front 7.

I really like the 3-4 defense. We would have to do some major moves though.

1 - Trey Lewis is 3-4 DT material IMO.

2 - Babinueax would be gone. Coleman could play 3-4 DE, he has in the past...but I dont think he will want to.

3- Abraham will not work as a 3-4 DE. He would have to go to OLB, and that is why he wanted out of NYJ, so we would likely have to trade him as well.

4 - Anderson would actually be a good candidate for a 3-4 DE, since he doesnt seem to work well as a 4-3 pass rusher anyways. He has the frame to be a DE in the 3-4 as well.

Our LBs would be a problem as well. D. Williams is definately too small. Brooking would be OK in the middle, but he doesnt like taking on lineman. Nicholas is a little small as well. Boley would be a moster 3-4 OLB. He is made for that spot, since he take blockers well, and also has a history of playing a pass rush DE.

It would take ALOT of work, and to be honest as much as I like the 3-4, we arent ready for it here. It would set our defense back 2 years + IMO.

No, absolutely not. That is my fear of Cowher being here. The 3-4 defense is a very specialized one, we don't have any kind of talent to run it. You need LB'ers that are bigger than 4-3 linebackers, who can also sit get down and be on the line as well. Not enough depth on the line, DE's are too big. No way Abraham and Jamal can be 3-4 linebackers.

dyoshot (12/14/2007)
bossFALCON (12/14/2007)
we would have to have a huge NT to run a 3-4 and seeing that we dont even have that we would not run a 3-4. we are missing too many peices.

Plus it isn't exactly easy to draft those type of players. When they come out, they are drafted very high.

i agree. we dont need to waste draft picks just because we want to switch to a defense we arent equip to play.

you dont need a HUGE DT. You need a big stout guy no doubt though. Trey Lewis is not really any smaller than Casey Hampton. Bothe are in the 320 range. Lewis is very stout, and extremely athletic. He would do.

But, we are not in good shape personnel wise, I agree. I would take the 3-4 though if it brought Cowher. Also, it would likely be done over the course of 2 seasons like Tomlin is doing in PIT (going from 3-4 to cover 2)

1989fan (12/14/2007)
you dont need a HUGE DT. You need a big stout guy no doubt though. Trey Lewis is not really any smaller than Casey Hampton. Bothe are in the 320 range. Lewis is very stout, and extremely athletic. He would do.

But, we are not in good shape personnel wise, I agree. I would take the 3-4 though if it brought Cowher. Also, it would likely be done over the course of 2 seasons like Tomlin is doing in PIT (going from 3-4 to cover 2)

a big stout guy is what i was referring to. someone like hamptons size. maybe lewis could pull it off.