January 3, 2008: Prepare yourself for Mike Singletary to be named new Falcon coach

ATL--75

I don't like Rich McKay's over-rated managing style and I don't like Blank's blind allegiance to over-the-hill veterans Warrick Dunn and Keith Brooking. However, the Falcons are posed to make one of the best decisons in Falcons history with the pending arrival of Hall of Fame player and current defensive coordinator of the San Francisco 49ers, Mike Singletary. Singletary had recently interviewed for the Falcons' job last year, but it went to the now-departed Bobby Petrino.

The signing of Singletary does mean Rich McKay will stay on for a few more years (SIGH) in attempt to get back to his Tampa Bay roots of depending on another former defensive player (Dungy was the first) to help save McKay's job and revive the Falcons' franchise.

McKay is on the hot seat and Blank is on the edge himself (especially after his chicken comments and increasingly skeptical Falcon fan base who is majority African-American) and is slowly realizing having a true leader as a head coach that commands respect is essential in having a successful franchise. Vick was the face of this franchise and Mr. Blank has left the door open for a potential return. However, for now, Singletary is someone who is icon himself that can forge his own identity on a franchise that hasn't put together back to back above .500 season in its forty year existence.

There are some lingering questions that might be a lithmus test for Singletary that may come from Blank. Will Brooking and Dunn start in 2008? If Singletary tells Blank, if this is my team you have to TRUST my decisions. Blank made the mistake of throwing money at Petrino to make him 'accept' Dunn, but Blank's allegiance to Dunn turn out to be a big-time problem for Petrino who wanted more control of the personnel and felt the running game was the foundation of his philosophy.

Singletary wants the challenge, and I wish him the very best. Singletary would also attract potential free agents and keep pending free agents (Boley/D-Hall) moreso than than the overmatched Petrino if he had stayed. Singletary is well-known, well-respected around the league and is well-connected in much the same way Dan Reeves was when he was here in Atlanta.

Singletary is the best choice for the Falcons.It's a safe pick, but he is the best person who can lead this franchise for the foreseeable future.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dirty Bird Razorback (12/14/2007)
The guy we should have picked from the beginning.

Better late, than never... I guess..

If Vick comes back, Singletary would be a good role model for him. Singletary is a no-nonsense guy, but he is a motivator as well.

With his defensive reputation, I expect the Falcons to be a more effective, competitive defensive team.. And I see Hue Jackson staying (unless he gets the Duke job). With Hue he would bring familarity in his philosophy and that could help Shock if he is competing for the starting job in 2008.

GEORGIAfan (12/14/2007)
mike hasnt proven anything to me, so ill go with Mike Zimmer who is a proven 4-3D guru, and with hue jackson calling the offense we will be set for a good 10yrs.

WHATS THERE TO PROVE? DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG THIS GUYS BEEN AN ASSISTANT COACH? DO YOU KNOW WHAT HE DID AS A PLAYER? ASK RAY LEWIS IF YOU NEED TO HEAR IT FROM ONE OF THE HORSES MOUTHS.

You have to respect Singletary as a player and a man and probably a leader of men -- but does he have the knowledge of X's and O's and know all the little detail things needed to be a head coach ?

If we were in better shape -- I would be less doubtful of a coach with no head coaching experience -- but in the shape we are in now -- we need a proven head coach I think. Someone who has done the whole thing before and has a VERY good track record.

--BK

January 3rd?

With our **** luck the top of the NFC will collpase and lose every game left and San Fran would go on a vicious roll and slip into the play-offs at 6-10 - then go on a terror and make it to the Super Bowl leaving us waiting until he was done with that game before we could interview him and other vacancies will be filled with the likes of Shotty & Cohwer and then Mike turns us down to remain in San Fran -- I know billion-to-one odds but the way our luck has been this season :w00t:

BruceReville (12/14/2007)
January 3rd?

With our **** luck the top of the NFC will collpase and lose every game left and San Fran would go on a vicious roll and slip into the play-offs at 6-10 - then go on a terror and make it to the Super Bowl leaving us waiting until he was done with that game before we could interview him and other vacancies will be filled with the likes of Shotty & Cohwer and then Mike turns us down to remain in San Fran -- I know billion-to-one odds but the way our luck has been this season :w00t:

That right there is an experienced Falcon fan....We expect the worst and hope for the best!!!

I think Singletary would be great. Unlike Petrino players like DHall will respect them, and we won't have the same outbursts. All SIngletary needs is to make the right choices, and be slightly more personable. I'm not saying being everyones buddy, but allow the players to talk to him. The way the players are talking to get to Bobby they'd practically have to jump through hoops and run mazes.

Oh, and call plays you practiced... That's a big one...

ATL--75 (12/14/2007)
Dirty Bird Razorback (12/14/2007)
The guy we should have picked from the beginning.

Better late, than never... I guess..

If Vick comes back, Singletary would be a good role model for him. Singletary is a no-nonsense guy, but he is a motivator as well.

With his defensive reputation, I expect the Falcons to be a more effective, competitive defensive team.. And I see Hue Jackson staying (unless he gets the Duke job). With Hue he would bring familarity in his philosophy and that could help Shock if he is competing for the starting job in 2008.

Wake up!! Vick's not coming back, at least not at QB. He may still have the athleticism to play WR but two years out of the game is two years too long.

Bruce Kwartler (12/14/2007)
You have to respect Singletary as a player and a man and probably a leader of men -- but does he have the knowledge of X's and O's and know all the little detail things needed to be a head coach ?

If we were in better shape -- I would be less doubtful of a coach with no head coaching experience -- but in the shape we are in now -- we need a proven head coach I think. Someone who has done the whole thing before and has a VERY good track record.

--BK

Singletary knows what it takes to win. He has played the game, won a championship and that's a perspective the two previous coaches (Mora, Petrino) never did. So that's a positive. Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy had similar criticism when they first started, but people like Singletary are able to adjust quickly. Additionally, I imagine Singletary will have a more hands-on role in personnel decisions and drafting decisions. McKay has generally failed in those areas. So its more than just X and Os, there are other positive intangibles that are in favor of Singletary being the new Falcon coach.

If it works out that way, I certainly won't have a problem with it.

You did leave out the fact that while he commands respect, he won't be trying to treat grown men like children. His office won't be a closed door that the players can not enter and he will freely give respect due to those whom he coaches.

Grim Truth (12/14/2007)
I think Singletary would be great. Unlike Petrino players like DHall will respect them, and we won't have the same outbursts. All SIngletary needs is to make the right choices, and be slightly more personable. I'm not saying being everyones buddy, but allow the players to talk to him. The way the players are talking to get to Bobby they'd practically have to jump through hoops and run mazes.

Oh, and call plays you practiced... That's a big one...

I am in agreement, and I have stated that I think Mad Mike Singletary will be a "player's coach" -- one who can relate to the players because he was there before, AND one who will command respect because of the respect he garnered when he was in Chicago.

fansince78 (12/14/2007)
If it works out that way, I certainly won't have a problem with it.

You did leave out the fact that while he commands respect, he won't be trying to treat grown men like children. His office won't be a closed door that the players can not enter and he will freely give respect due to those whom he coaches.

Yep.