Arkansas AD disputes Falcons' version of Petrino saga

Arkansas athletics director Jeff Long defended his new football coach and the school from what he says are misrepresentations from the Atlanta Falcons.

"It's hard for me to speak for Coach Petrino, but this is not a case of waking up the morning after the Monday night game and saying, 'I'm leaving the Falcons,'" Long said Thursday, two days after Petrino left the Falcons.

Long, who is officially replacing outgoing AD Frank Broyles on Jan. 1, said he had not spoken to Petrino until after Petrino resigned from the Falcons on Tuesday.

"Here's what I want you to know," Long said. "I'm an ethical person. I want to do things the right way. Had I wanted to talk to him (Petrino) while he was head coach of the Falcons, I would have called and asked."

Instead, Long made a list and began paring it down. Petrino was on the list, and he heard from the coach's representatives that he wanted to return to college.

"There were a number of things I understand that weren't as Coach Petrino was told they would be when he took over the Falcons (after leaving the University of Louisville)," Long said. "They were discussed 4-5 weeks before. His representatives then indicated to the Falcons he wanted to go

back to college, and they were aware of that. When opportunities started to present themselves, he expressed again to the Falcons he was interested in going back to college.

"You don't know what the owner said to him. These weren't one-sided discussions. The situation in Atlanta was not the way it's being portrayed. Bobby may speak to this. He hoped the Falcons would be true to their word how they were going to handle it, and they weren't."

Petrino resigned his Falcons post Tuesday morning, talked to Long that day and that night was introduced at an ESPN-televised media conference complete with a 'Woooo Pig sooie' cheer.

"He made the decision to leave the Falcons in order to be considered for this job," Long said. "I wasn't going to do it in a back room somewhere. I wasn't going to conduct myself that way. The discussions about leaving the Falcons and going back to college began long before the Arkansas job was open."

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What I don't like about what is coming out is that Petrino had wanted to leave for weeks and thus you have to question his decisions he has made in the last couple months and we have fans have to be upset because he may have been tanking games to provide "legitimacy" to leaving to college. Petrino is gutless and ruined any chance of us to being successful this year.

So, Petrino meets with mcKay at 5:30 on Tuesday to resign. Afterwards, he has a brief call with Blank. So reasonable estimates are that he's probably done at Flowery Branch at 6:00PM.

I'm to believe that in 5.5 hours, Petrino was contacted by Arkansas, negotiated terms and flew to Fayetteville in time to do pigsooey?

Looks like a match made in heaven...

BlacksburgHokie (12/13/2007)
Arkansas athletics director Jeff Long defended his new football coach and the school from what he says are misrepresentations from the Atlanta Falcons.

"It's hard for me to speak for Coach Petrino, but this is not a case of waking up the morning after the Monday night game and saying, 'I'm leaving the Falcons,'" Long said Thursday, two days after Petrino left the Falcons.

Long, who is officially replacing outgoing AD Frank Broyles on Jan. 1, said he had not spoken to Petrino until after Petrino resigned from the Falcons on Tuesday.

"Here's what I want you to know," Long said. "I'm an ethical person. I want to do things the right way. Had I wanted to talk to him (Petrino) while he was head coach of the Falcons, I would have called and asked."

Instead, Long made a list and began paring it down. Petrino was on the list, and he heard from the coach's representatives that he wanted to return to college.

"There were a number of things I understand that weren't as Coach Petrino was told they would be when he took over the Falcons (after leaving the University of Louisville)," Long said. "They were discussed 4-5 weeks before. His representatives then indicated to the Falcons he wanted to go

back to college, and they were aware of that. When opportunities started to present themselves, he expressed again to the Falcons he was interested in going back to college.

"You don't know what the owner said to him. These weren't one-sided discussions. The situation in Atlanta was not the way it's being portrayed. Bobby may speak to this. He hoped the Falcons would be true to their word how they were going to handle it, and they weren't."

Petrino resigned his Falcons post Tuesday morning, talked to Long that day and that night was introduced at an ESPN-televised media conference complete with a 'Woooo Pig sooie' cheer.

"He made the decision to leave the Falcons in order to be considered for this job," Long said. "I wasn't going to do it in a back room somewhere. I wasn't going to conduct myself that way. The discussions about leaving the Falcons and going back to college began long before the Arkansas job was open."

Whatever makes them sleep better at night. :P

Steve_Bartkowski (12/13/2007)

I smell...BULL S***!!!

Yeah as if the boosters would need his participation to make it happen...:unsure:

wtf if they didnt talk to petrino until after he resigned then why did he resign. something smells fishy here lol.

Only somebody from Arkansas would believe that ad ... That ad has no credit when you look at Petrino's background ... This deal was done in the back room ... and what tops it off ... is they couldn't be professional and do the press conference during regular business hours ... what other team holds 11:30p.m. press conferences ??? You mean they negotiated the terms of the contract ... flew Petrino in ... scheduled the presser ... in 5 hours ??? That's impossible ... Pigeons can't fly that fast from Arkansas to Atlanta ... ;)

lol. they heard petrino was in town, and printed up a .pdf contract from InstantHeadCoachesContracts.com and taught him the fight song and got him a sweater in 5hrs.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

i hope they get NO recruits. i would definitely not let any of my sons or any kids whom i advised play for such a festering axxhole.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

yeah, alright dude. whatever you say right? just tell me how you explain the fact that for the past 5 years, he has tried to leave his current job for another job, nearly stabbing tommy tuberville in the back at auburn, constantly needed more from louisville (and got a 10 year, $25 million dollar deal from louisville before leaving half a year later for atlanta). and this is my favorite stat of all, the arkansas job is his THIRD in the last calendar year.

sounds like a loyal, trustworthy guy to me, right?

this b**ch says he's your guy to your face and then, behind closed doors, chats it up looking for another better opportunity. he is never satisfied, and what makes this AD think arkansas will have him for years and years? i doubt he lasts 2 years, if even, say... 13.

Tandy Gossett (12/13/2007)
Cult Leader (12/13/2007)
Uggghh. Who cares about these pig chanting hill people.

Eff Bobby Quitrino

Eff R-Kansas

Eff Pig chanters

True RKansas hasn't been a good football team ... and I don't see them being any good for years to come ... you know that Hog Call is the Official Mate'n Call of RKansas ...

Ha, ha, ha. That's funny. :Wow:

Dirty Bird Razorback (12/14/2007)
Tandy Gossett (12/13/2007)
Cult Leader (12/13/2007)
Uggghh. Who cares about these pig chanting hill people.

I thought you'd like it ... ;)

Eff Bobby Quitrino

Eff R-Kansas

Eff Pig chanters

True RKansas hasn't been a good football team ... and I don't see them being any good for years to come ... you know that Hog Call is the Official Mate'n Call of RKansas ...

Ha, ha, ha. That's funny. :Wow: