If the juniors declare, the 2nd round is the place to get a running back

Orange_Crush

Hopefully the next coaching staff will utilize Norwood like he should be, but there are still questions about his ability to carry the load. With that said, if Darren McFadden, Felix Jones, Jonathan Stewart, Kevin Smith and Rashard Mendenhall, or at least 3 of the 5 declare, then the 2nd round is the prime place to grab a running back. Obviously there's no way to tell where these guys are going to be ranked right now, but I could easily see us having either Stewart, Mendenhall, Jones, Choice, or Smith on the board in the 2nd. We need a long term running back and every one I just mentioned can carry the load.

With that said, there's no way to tell which direction we're going to go in the 1st right now. If we hire Singletary, I'd say we go Dorsey/Ellis/Laurinaitis. If we hire an offensive guy, I'd say we go McFadden/Woodson/Ryan/Long. It could go either way right now, but I still want a running back in the 2nd, regardless of who we hire.

I'm not so sure we will want whoever is on the board in the second just yet, depends on the combine a great deal. McFadden, Jones, and Stewart are all gone in the first round easy, Mendenhall probably will be there or taken very early in the second, before we get a shot. Smith and Choice depend on their 40 times, an even 4.5 could push either of them right up into the second and possibly even get some earlier looks, but a Tony Hunt 4.8 flop would drop either of them to the second day.

I said it earlier and I'll say it again... I think it would be a mistake to spend more than 3 picks on offense in this draft. 2 on the o-line and one on QB or RB, depending on what the board looks like.

We need to concentrate on our defense because it's not far at all from being a very good unit - and focus on getting prime beef on the o-line because that will fix the stability issues we have seen on offense for years now. Create time for plays to develop and you don't need outstanding draft prospects at every position to put points on the board.

If McFadden is on the board when we pick, it could be a very tough call. He's the type of running back we could really use to carry the load and his versatility is quite remarkable... but we've seen time and time again that RBs taken later on are just as capable (or moreso) than some of those razzle dazzle 1st round names.

Carter (12/14/2007)
I said it earlier and I'll say it again... I think it would be a mistake to spend more than 3 picks on offense in this draft. 2 on the o-line and one on QB or RB, depending on what the board looks like.

We need to concentrate on our defense because it's not far at all from being a very good unit - and focus on getting prime beef on the o-line because that will fix the stability issues we have seen on offense for years now. Create time for plays to develop and you don't need outstanding draft prospects at every position to put points on the board.

If McFadden is on the board when we pick, it could be a very tough call. He's the type of running back we could really use to carry the load and his versatility is quite remarkable... but we've seen time and time again that RBs taken later on are just as capable (or moreso) than some of those razzle dazzle 1st round names.

I wanted a defensive minded coach when Petrino was hired. If we hire Singletary, I definitely would like to go that direction in the 1st round. Glenn Dorsey, Sedrick Ellis, or James Laurinaitis would be the ideal candidates. The best thing about these guys is that the only "question" marks you could potentially point out about any of them is Dorsey's durability. We should upgrade the defense, but we still have to score points. A workhorse running back behind a big offensive line is what we need in order to do that. The defense can do the rest.

1989fan (12/14/2007)
grendel (12/14/2007)

You think? I don't know. He's not a proven enough commodity as a featured back, IMO, to be a first round guy.

I'd love to get him in the 2nd, though ;)

Ronnie Brown. #2 overall pick. same scenerio as Felix Jones. Actually very similar players as well.

Brown outweighs Jones by about 32 lbs, and is a much more physical runner. Jones is only at about 197-200lbs

1989fan (12/14/2007)
Felix Jones FTW. I think if he declares though, he will be the 2nd RB off the boards. Maybe 3rd if Ray Rice works out well ehough.

Stewart will most likely be the second RB taken. Ray Rice won't be the 2nd or 3rd taken for sure. He might sneak into the 2nd round but the 3rd round looks likely, depending on who declares.