Digital Camera Help

not just 7~ia~

not just 7~ia~ (12/13/2007)
I am looking for a new digital camera probably in the 100-150 range...any ideas, i really dont know what to look for...thanks in advance

Don't really have any advice except to shop and compare. I have one that is years old and a simple HP point and shoot that does fine by me.

Don't be so awestruck by higher megapixels. Unless you plan on blowing up your stuff to poster sized. I think mine is like, 2 megapixels and for standard 4x6 photo's or whatever, I am fine.

I have seen some with 5-6 megapixals for under 150.

One main thing to look for is the zoom feature. Make sure it is OPTICAL zoom, which actually zooms, and not DIGITAL zoom, which simply adds pixals and makes for some horrible photos.

And I would prefer one with some type of removable photo card instead of only built in memory.

Other than that, I can't think of much more to say.

I have a Sony Cybershot that was around $150, on sale. The zoom is average but the picture quality is really good. It's about six years old and I'll most likely replace it with another Cybershot. They're still under $200.

The camera has taken abuse like a champ...it has been dropped in the ocean, had waaay too many drinks spilled on it, survived my pit of a purse, survived downhill skiiing in my pocket (I fall a lot), and been thrown against a concrete wall (not by me).

not just 7~ia~ (12/13/2007)
I am looking for a new digital camera probably in the 100-150 range...any ideas, i really dont know what to look for...thanks in advance

get the one with the best optical zoom, and not best overall zoom. My understanding is that digital zoom, is the chips idea of what the image looks like closer, whereas the optical zoom is the lense actually zooming in on the image. Also get the best megapixels in combination, but nowadays they are all pretty good. OPTICAL ZOOM IS THE KEY!!!!