Petrino is getting a lot of grief from everybody, but Warrick's 'piling on' is sad...

ATL--75

Dunn said the following in a AJC article

"This guy affected not just my livelihood but other guys'. He had guys thinking that I couldn't play football anymore, that I couldn't run. It's not because I wasn't trying. I felt like he was setting us up to fail, and when you look back on it, he wasn't in it.

"We have to apologize to our fans. It's not because the players are not playing. Obviously, the guy's half-hearted. It's just one of those things where respect is out the window."

Look at Warrick trying to blame his lack of production on Petrino. I know everybody is piling on, but trying to use Petrino in that aspect is very typical. Your career is over. Vick isn't here (you can't hide behind Vick's negative publicity anymore or 1,0000 yard season), and the next coach won't have any tolerance for any 180 lb diminutive, over-the-hill RB. You got your 10,000, so just retire.. because no other team wouldn't have him as their starting RB.

You have stole money the past three years and got an undeserved extension.. five million in 2006 and additional three million this year.. That's money that not well spent..

Petrino deserves criticism, but trying to blame him for you lack of production shows YOU not taking responsibility for your play..

And actually Petrino left because he didn't have control over personnel matters such as replacing Dunn.. Petrino said throughout the season he always wanted to use Dunn, but when the game is played Norwood gets very few carries.. I wonder why?

Petrino could have handled his resignation better, but he was really in over his head because the 'politics' not exclusively because of Vick not playing..

ATL--75 (12/12/2007)

He had guys thinking that I couldn't play football anymore, that I couldn't run.

Look at Warrick trying to blame his lack of production on Petrino. I know everybody is piling on, but trying to use Petrino in that aspect is very typical. Your career is over. Vick isn't here (you can't hide behind Vick's negative publicity anymore or 1,0000 yard season), and the next coach won't have any tolerance for any 180 lb diminutive, over-the-hill RB. You got your 10,000, so just retire.. because no other team wouldn't have him as their starting RB.

You have stole money the past three years and got an undeserved extension.. five million in 2006 and additional three million this year.. That's money that not well spent..

Petrino deserves criticism, but trying to blame him for you lack of production shows YOU not taking responsibility for your play..

And actually Petrino left because he didn't have control over personnel matters such as replacing Dunn.. Petrino said throughout the season he always wanted to use Dunn, but when the game is played Norwood gets very few carries.. I wonder why?

Petrino could have handled his resignation better, but he was really in over his head because the 'politics' not exclusively because of Vick not playing..

I think he cant play football anymore either i dont know why he thinks he can even after last year. Why does Norwood have 2x the yards per carry? Petrino didnt affect Norwood obviously.

I'll believe dunn there.

The reason Dunn never got any yardage is because he never had any holes to run though. Norwood always was fast enough to get a cutback lane to get yards every couple runs, but even he never got anything when he ran normally trying to find holes up the middle. Its because we never had the personell to run a power blocking scheme. Might not be his fault, but its why Dunn never got any yards.

Hard to say, Petrino had been talking up how he needed a bigger RB to fit his scheme.

Dunn has looked a step slower to me this season, regardless of scheme. In RB years, he is like 95 years old. I love the guy, and he is class 99 percent of the time, but I think the Falcons need a RB almost as bad as they need a QB. Until we truly test Norwood, we won't know what we have.

stoned_jc7 (12/12/2007)

Hard to say, Petrino had been talking up how he needed a bigger RB to fit his scheme.

Dunn has looked a step slower to me this season, regardless of scheme. In RB years, he is like 95 years old. I love the guy, and he is class 99 percent of the time, but I think the Falcons need a RB almost as bad as they need a QB. Until we truly test Norwood, we won't know what we have.

I was skeptical of the hasty Petrino hiring, but he had a quote in the first week that showed what was important to him..

"The first thing you do if you want to win,'' Petrino said over the phone from his new office in Falconville on Tuesday, "is learn to run the football. And run it well in the fourth quarter. That's what we'll try to establish here. It's the same thing I've done everywhere I've been, and certainly at Louisville. You do that, you wear teams down. Then, of course, I like to throw the ball, and throw it downfield. But running it well has to be your priority.''

Link:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writ...qbte/index.html

Petrino knew Warrick Dunn wasn't the answer... and that's where the problems began.. Arthur may not meddle in most things, but Warrick is Arthur's buddy, unfortunately he is a big impediment (obstacle) in Petrino's philosophy of being successful..

Dunn hasn't hampered by Petrino nearly as much as he has been hampered by the absence of Vick. Our running backs have enjoyed inflated stats because of the pressure Vick put on the back side ends, who could never crash down on running plays because they had to defend the bootleg/rollout by Vick. There was essentially one less guy to block and MUCH bigger cutback lanes.

holymoses (12/13/2007)
Dunn hasn't hampered by Petrino nearly as much as he has been hampered by the absence of Vick. Our running backs have enjoyed inflated stats because of the pressure Vick put on the back side ends, who could never crash down on running plays because they had to defend the bootleg/rollout by Vick. There was essentially one less guy to block and MUCH bigger cutback lanes.

Werd.

Not to mention that zone blocking scheme seemed to fit Dunn's style much better. But.... I still think investing in a RB would be a good idea.

holymoses (12/13/2007)

Warrick was in a very special and unique situation when Vick was QB. Vick did make things easier for Warrick. However, Dunn was a novelty RB who never carried a full work load of a real franchise RB in his whole career. He is a liability inside the red zone and non-existent at the goal line. The Falcons had the worst conversion rate to TDs inside the red zone... and in 2006, it was very similar..

It didn't matter what kind of line Warrick had,if Vick wasn't there taking defenders away, he was lost..

Most of 2007, we had drop back QBs, so that mean Warrick had to earn his money for the first time and he couldn't get it done..

Warrick Dunn 196 carries 603 yards 3.1 ypc

Jerious Norwood 75 carries 463 yards 6.2 ypc

Sorry but I think dunn's drop off has more to do with him being 32 then anything else. 32 is the brickwall for runningbacks. They all dropped off once they turn that age, I dont know what it is but look at the majority of running backs who turn 32 going into a season and notice how their production drops drastically.

lax32 (12/12/2007)
I'll believe dunn there.

The reason Dunn never got any yardage is because he never had any holes to run though. Norwood always was fast enough to get a cutback lane to get yards every couple runs, but even he never got anything when he ran normally trying to find holes up the middle. Its because we never had the personell to run a power blocking scheme. Might not be his fault, but its why Dunn never got any yards.

The answer to it all is right in your own post. Dunn doesnt have holes to run through but Norwood does because Norwood is fast.

So, that means Warrick is.......SLOW!

ATL--75 (12/12/2007)

"This guy affected not just my livelihood but other guys'. He had guys thinking that I couldn't play football anymore, that I couldn't run. It's not because I wasn't trying. I felt like he was setting us up to fail, and when you look back on it, he wasn't in it.

"We have to apologize to our fans. It's not because the players are not playing. Obviously, the guy's half-hearted. It's just one of those things where respect is out the window."

ALT 75 is right. You cant blame Petrino for Dunn's lack of production. We all know it is down to the OL. Now what ALT75 and Dunn have done here is very classy, both trying to put the blame on someone else to protect the team.

Well done ALT75 - I'm glad you support Warrick, you are both great guys. :)

holymoses (12/13/2007)

More like two less guy's to block cause a LB had to spy Vick at all times as well.

Dunn has to go (period). His lack of production is a product of time.

Off the field he piled on Vick for being an idiot, (can't really say I blame him) but as a team mate there are some things you just don't say in public.

Now he's piling on Petrino, (as the rest of the league piles on him every time he touches the ball).

Who does he think he's fooling?

I say he should test free agency if he really thinks he's worth something.

falconfanjason (12/13/2007)
You can't play power football with a 32 year old Warrick Dunn as your running back.

Exactly.

Petrino was handcuffed by Mr. Blank/GM McKay to play Dunn as the starter. Petrino never had the type of control he envisioned. He had financial security, but it wasn't worth sacrificing his philosophies as a football coach..

Dunn was at the center of Petrino's problems, not Vick..