Possible Offseason Aquisitions

Atowndown

Headcoach a given.......

I would take Mcfadden in the 1st round at the point MAYBE Jake Long.....

Wait till round 2 and take Dixon as your franchise QB....

Chad Johnson and Lav. Coles are both free agents....we have to grab one of them......no doubt.....

Resign MIKE BOLEY!!!! a MUST.......

Release Chris Crocker.....and acquire a a good safety, do not think Jimmy is IT......Sign another decent DT......Coleman needs a GOOD compliment....,just throwing it out there as a cheap good possession reciever....Ernest Wilford from Jax is a FA

Thoughts?

Shaunn Lobo (12/12/2007)
Headcoach a given.......

Chad Johnson and Lav. Coles are both free agents....we have to grab one of them......no doubt.....

Release Chris Crocker.....and acquire a a good safety, do not think Jimmy is IT......Sign another decent DT......Coleman needs a GOOD compliment....,just throwing it out there as a cheap good possession reciever....Ernest Wilford from Jax is a FA

Thoughts?

Yeah sounds good if possible, but honestly i think Crocker isn't doing to bad this year

IMO Crocker just doesnt have ANY recovery speed like Dawkins or Reed....and i think that is important when you have aggressive corners like DHALL and CHOUSTON.....you have to be able to recover from bites on pa fakes etc....and crocker nor milloy have it....thankfully milloy is like roy williams...he can hit and stop the run.

Come on, man -- there are much more talented QBs out there for the taking in the draft! Dixon will NOT be a good NFL QB. I am talking Ryan, Brennan, Brohm, Woodson, Flacco, among others.

My choice is Flacco out of Delaware -- he's a cool cucumber in the pocket with size and a cannon for an arm!

crocker is a F/A, we simply do not re-sign him.

if we do what i hope and pilage the colts defensive assistants for our next DC, we can put together a defense akin to the colts. most of our personnel already fits. we would have to target a couple of under sized pass rushers in rd 3 and 5 to give us a starting LDE and some depth. jamal anderson would move inside as coleman's back up for a year or two. babinaux would play RDT with trey lewis as his back up. lewis would actually need to shed a few pounds and improve his flexibility and balance, but rushing the passer was actually a strength for him. brooking would actually be a perfect fit at MLB because of his ball skills, and demorrio williams could be retained. hall and houston are perfect indy two CB's but we need a #3 CB and a starting FS. jimmy williams can battle stone for the SS spot.

offensively we need the 3 most important and hardest positions to fill. QB, RB, and LT. that is why i want mike martz as HC, he could literally build this offense from the ground up.

Shaunn Lobo (12/12/2007)
Dude Dixon is better than Flacco and Woodson....Matt Ryan...eh.....Brohm im not sold on him yet......but im saying as far as not using the first round pick on a QB....we could get DIXON....the others listed are all 1st rounders

dont forget though, some first rounders may slip to the second round. i mean look at brady quinn. if the browns had not traded up he would not have been selected for a while.

I don't understand this McFadden to New England talk. The Patriots drafted Maroney less than 2 years ago in the first round, AND they don't even run the ball that much. If they pick second they will probably trade down for more picks, or start getting new, younger players for that aging defense.

georgiafan34 (12/12/2007)
I would love to have Chad Johnson play for the Falcons but honestly theres no way well be able to pay him the money he'd want. But he could be the player that brings the fans to the stands like Vick used to.

i agree but i dont think it will happen. i dont see cj being released even though people say it will happen. dont forget though falcons...i think it is time to get a kicker!

New England would love to trade down I'm sure, but given their track record lately, I don't think McFadden is a lock. I'd expect them to give the Longs and Laurinaitis just as much consideration. NE has shown a tendency to take OFF skill positions in FA or later in the draft and given the Marroney/Faulk/Morris rotation they had this year, RB wouldn't benefit them as much as a premiere lineman or a LB replacement.

I think we have the receivers covered with White and Robinson the #1 and #2, no need to waste money on Chad Johnson.

And Trey Lewis is a good compliment to Coleman, if anything we need to kick Coleman to the curb, he's getting injury prone and up there in age, plus he's more expensive than Lewis.

Bo$$man (12/12/2007)
georgiafan34 (12/12/2007)
I would love to have Chad Johnson play for the Falcons but honestly theres no way well be able to pay him the money he'd want. But he could be the player that brings the fans to the stands like Vick used to.

i agree but i dont think it will happen. i dont see cj being released even though people say it will happen. dont forget though falcons...i think it is time to get a kicker!

aww whats wrong with ol morty? :lol:

yeah, lets draft brandon coutu from UGA.

Shaunn Lobo (12/12/2007)

Thoughts?

I think you need to re-check your facts.

Chad Johnson is signed with the Bengals with 2012.

Laveranues Coles is signed with the Jets through 2010.

Shaunn Lobo (12/12/2007)
Headcoach a given.......

Thoughts?

I have to disagree, and probably be called crazy, but I wouldn't take McFadden. McFadden is a great COLLEGE running back, and he possibly might do well in the pro level, but like so many running backs before him have come to realize, once in the pro level... the game changes. McFadden is indeed a talented athlete, but you have to consider all the factors involved when you look at his running. The blocking scheme that his OL executes, will he have problems with adjusting to how the Falcons OL blocks? Will he be a bust like so many running backs before him that were considered great? Let s take Reggie bush as a prime example; he has done nothing to live up to half the hype that was put out there when he came out of college. If you look at the Falcons, our best runners have always been diamonds in the rough. Why would (in my opinion) you waste a 1st round pick on a position that you already have a proven veteran (Dunn) with an outstanding yet underrated understudy (Norwood) that have proven to be able to run in our blocking scheme?

We need to move back to where we were going when we had Vick. We were #1 in Rushing, and teams feared that. Had the receivers stepped up (like this year WHITE) and caught passes, we would have been deadly. It's not all about the players though; Mora wasn't allowing Vick to audible at the line. People forget that fact all the time, Mora wanted his play to be run regardless of what Vick could read in the Defense. Imagine if Brady or Manning couldn't audible... man would they freaking suck. We need a mobile Quarterback with an arm. I say release Harrington and Leftwich, and find a mobile quarterback that will open up the run again. I wasn't impressed by Shockley in Georgia, or his stint with the Falcons before being injured, but I would give him a chance still.

Dunn has carried the load for so long and still has good years left in him, not to mention his experience and leadership which he can pass on to other backs, including Norwood. Norwood's Avg in 2006 was an astounding 6.4 YPC, and this year it is 6.2 so far. Let s look at the top echelon of backs in the league and see their avg.

W. Parker (leading the league in rushing yards) 4.0 Avg

A. Peterson (second) 6.1 Avg

L.Tomlinson (third) 4.5 Avg

B. Westbrook (fourth) 4.7 Avg

W. Mcgahee (fifth) 4.2 Avg

If you go down the entire NFL list, only Peterson compares to Norwood, and even he has less YPC. Last year NO ONE was near Norwood. The closest person behind Norwood besides Peterson has a 5.1 YPC, everyone else is lower. Last year I thought, ok perhaps because we had Vick and teams were biting on his ability to scramble that Norwood was doing so well. Norwood has now proven that he has the ability to gain the yards and to be as explosive if not the most explosive back in the NFL. Go back on your TEVO's and watch the footage, Norwood is a proven ball carrier, and should be our back of the future. As great a player and a man as Dunn is, I think it's time he took the backup role and allowed Norwood to be the feature back. Oh Did I mention that Norwood has NEVER fumbled?

We lost Justin Griffith (the fastest and most sure handed receiving of fullbacks) during the off season because Petrino wanted a BIGGER STRONG Fullback, so he got Mughelli... and he hasn't even used him for anything. We have had numerous occasions when we were 4th and a yard or less, and we punted... Why are we paying Mughelli if we aren't using him? When Griffith was cut during the off season, I knew petrino was a bad fit, and I haven't liked any decisions since then. Anyone remember the game against Dallas last year, and we were actually winning? Griffith had 4 rec for 34 yards and 2 TD's by the third quarter and we were up by 7... he was giving us the advantage, yet for some reason we never threw the ball back to him in that game and we lost by 10, we never quite utilized him again like that. Mora was an idiot for going away from Griffith, and Petrino is a Mule's backside for not seeing what a simple fan like myself can see. Petrino has sabotaged this team with all of the transactions and decisions that have taken place.

In games decisions: How many times did Petrino punt when time was running low and we needed a score? I remember quite a few, but the one that sticks out most in my mind is down by 10, 4 mins to go, 4th and I believe 2, and he punted. Are you freaking serious????

My 12 y/o nephew knew better than that.

D. Hall was right to be upset when Grady was cut, it's almost like Petrino was trying to help other teams out for some reason, or just destroy ours.

I don't have a mock draft per say, but a RB would be a waste to me. I would say grab a compliment to Abe on the opposite DE during free agency, and also pick up a proven Veteran NT to compliment Coleman. I say in the draft, find the best Safety out there and use your 1st round pick on him. Just look at how much a Bob Sanders means to a defense. A faster Safety with hitting ability would greatly compliment Milloy who isn't as fast as he used to be, and also Houston who seems to get toasted quite frequently. D. Hall can hold his own so Milloy can have free roam around the line or in-between spaces if we had a faster and knowledgeable safety. J. Williams... I loved him in VT, I still think he is better than Houston, but he is NO safety. I say move Williams to corner and use Houston as a Nickleback. With the acquisition of a premier safety, J. Williams should be fine opposite D. hall.

As for 2nd 3rd and etc picks... Trade Mughelli for either a pick, or someone we will utilize. We need to find another T. Dwight for kick and punt returns although I don't know if we need to use a high pick for something like that (unless we can find a Hester), we don't need Norwood or Hall returning those, we can't afford them to be injured, and our returner that we use now just blows. I say let s try David Irons at returner for now, he seems to have really good speed on kick and punt coverage, but I would still like to have a Hester, or Dwight at returner. I say stay Defense most of the way in the Draft except for a dominant receiver, and perhaps a Quarterback but should be mobile, our line gets stationary QB's killed, plus look at our running game this year... lets open it back up.

Oddy (12/12/2007)

I have to disagree, and probably be called crazy, but I wouldn't take McFadden. McFadden is a great COLLEGE running back, and he possibly might do well in the pro level, but like so many running backs before him have come to realize, once in the pro level... the game changes.

I have no problem with drafting McFadden, if he is indeed best player available when we pick. I'd be more inclined to draft linemen, but honestly - answer this question...

Is there any spot on this team where we don't need new talent?? I can't think of one. Wide receiver possibly, and perhaps tight end, but watching Crumpler these past 2 seasons spout off at the mouth and drop what used to be easy catches, I could understand getting a tight end.

Because of the dearth of talent on this team, this is truly a draft where we could - and should - simply draft best player available regardless of position. In fact, I'd spend about 80% of my resources - draft and free agency - on linemen. If we came out of the draft selecting 6 linemen (offensive or defensive) with 9 of our picks, I wouldn't be upset in the least.

Shaunn Lobo (12/12/2007)
They lost their first round pick......******

You know for someone who throws the term "******" around this liberally, you sure don't appear to know s**t about football.

I suggest it once more: do your research before you start calling people names.