Hooray for the Falcons!

Didier

Actually, yesterday was a great day!

Arkansas solved a problem that could have lingered for a couple of years. Petrino was never going to be the answer. Whether in 2008 or 2009, ownership would have made the difficult decision to sever its ties with a college coach who never would have been successful.

Also, I'm delighted that Emmitt Thomas has been named interim coach. Obviously, the team is going to go elsewhere with a new head coach and, although I'm certain fans are salivating over the thought of Bill Cowher, let's be realistic. There's no way Bill's going to turn down the Carolina job at the end of this season.

Whether its Andy Reid, whose is close to Mr. Blank and might leave the Eagles, or an assistant, like Jason Garrett with the Cowboys or Ron Rivera with the Chargers, the team should be upgrading its head coach.

Frankly, I think it's more important to the team's success to hire an excellent head coach who can move the team forward than to settle on a quarterback.

Super Bowl winners have included Trent Dilfer, Jeff Hostettler, Brad Johnson, Kerry Collins, and Rich Gannon. Mercy, the Falcons went to a Super Bowl with Chris Chandler.

I'm not saying Harrington, Leftwich, or Redman can lead this team to a Super Bowl.

What I am saying is that the Super Bowl teams with the above quarterbacks, mediocre at best, had terrific head coaches.

Let's get it right this time.