Emmitt Thomas as Interim HC???

falconva7

I personally would have given it to Zimmer so that he can audition for the HC spot, however they probably dont want to overwelm him as he needs to focus on the defense the rest of the year. Also they might not trust alot of the guys that Petrino brought along at this point. Paul Petrino should be canned on the spot.

I personally like the move. It'll let Hue work into the play calling without having to worry about the D... and lets Zim continue to work with the D alone (which still needs all the help it can get) Emmitt's been on the staff as long as anyone and probably understands the team better than anyone at this point.

It'll be interesting to see how they rally around each other the last three weeks without Petrino's dark cloud hanging over Flowery Branch anymore.

I think this move makes a lot of sense. Thomas has been around since 2002 and most importantly knows the personel on this team. I'd rather see Zimmer concentrate on the defense and see what Jackson does with the playcalling when not handcuffed by Petrino. In addition, I don't think it's fair that either Jackson or Zimmer get made the interim coach since they are both pretty deserving. The interim coach is just that... the interim coach for the next three games. We were not going to get any of the big names in 12 hours, and I'd like to see an actual hiring process rather than handing the keys over for a 3 game audition that turns into a multiyear deal. Thomas is the senior member on the staff has interviewed for several head coaching positions and will provide stability, which is what this team desperately needs. I love this move... I think we will see some great play out of out of our vets for the next three games.

gritzblitz58 (12/12/2007)
Plus, Emmitt was a stud as a player. When the players have had a hard time buying into Petrino, who treated them like college kids, they'll see Emmitt as a player's coach.

I remember hearing Emmit has respect. I think he's also a hold-over from Reeves staff.

He might have HC experience because I remember hearing his name during the post Reeves coaching search.