Can you see this coming?

Eddie Jewell

So I wake up this morning and the news tells me that Our coach Bobby Petrino left to become the new coach at Arkansas. All I can say is ****!!!! I was thinking that he would stay here and build a winner. Then I got to thinking, maybe he sees something we are not seeing. I don t know, but seems to me that a lot of things could have been the reason for his departure.

1. Could it be that he came here to coach Michael Vick? Could be the case, now that Vick is doing 23 months, it won t happen anytime soon.

2. His players. Were they just too much to handle? I know one thing for sure; you cannot be a coach on any level and not have problems out of your players. I mean he did have time in the NFL before. This shouldn t be that much of a problem.

3. The fans? He was loved in Louisville. He made that program in the short time he was there. In Atlanta, he was criticized almost daily. On the Atlanta Falcons Message board people were calling for his head. Maybe Firepetrino.com was next.

4. Finally the Organization. Could the organizations handling of the Vick situation and lack of support cause Petrino to jump ship? Hmmmmmm& .

Seems like there was a mixture of these variables that caused Coach P to leave. I mean were we at his house when he was crying to his wife about how he couldn t get things done? If you look at the picture of him at the Arkansas Presser, he is there with Mrs. P and they are elated. This decision was probably in the makings for weeks now. Going into another Monday night game on your 3rd string qb, can stress any coach. The injuries, the lack of effort, the politics. It stressed Coach P to phone in his resignation. Even after he assured the owner I am here.

Did he have the respect of the team, The Organization, The fans, the city? The hack job at the local newspaper and the daily butchering on sports talk radio. Coach P was pressured from the start to transform a team that never won anything. Was he to soft spoken for the job in Atlanta or any NFL franchise? It was too rough for him here. The real fans are small in numbers and the bandwagon fans will turn on you in a New York minute. No wonder coach P left like a thief in the night.

So what do we have to give to the best available coach out there? Not a thing. We want a Bill Cowher here. He isn t coming to Atlanta. Why would he? Our fan base can t measure to the fans in Pittsburg. Cleveland has better fans than we do. Our city is much bigger than theirs and we have more to offer. It is a shame that we cannot support our team better than those smaller cities. It is a shame that our team could not support it's own superstar. It is a shame that the dominos fell and kept falling until our rookie coach had enough. It is a shame that our team has no attitude. No pride. It is a shame that for the first time I can see big industry fall to a guerilla outfit like Peta. It is a shame that Michael Vick destroyed his professional career. Finally it is a shame that we have to start over from scratch this city doesn t deserve the best coach. It needs new fresh meat. It needs a Pit bull to bully the team. Pun intended. It needs a coach that can come in here and change the attitude and pride of the lost franchise. Our owner needs to sit in the box and sign checks. Our GM needs to build a winner in the next draft. No Darren McFadden, No Brian Brohm, Maybe a Jake Long. We need to reestablish the game in the trenches.

We need to piece the team together even if we see small progress in the next year. Sorry Mr. Blank we need headhunters. We need a nasty MLB and safeties that make grown men cry. We need a new attitude here. Coach P saw the writing on the wall and disappeared. Can you blame him?

Good luck in Arkansas Coach P. Maybe that job will leave you stress free. God help the next coach of the Falcons. If he can t assert himself soon he will leave like Coach P did and like Les Miles will Jan 8. Go Maize and Blue.

Any coach that quits on his team before his 1st season is even over is a piece of ##### coward. Good ridance. Any team that hires him now is foolish. He has no idea about loyalty.

If he was at home crying, tough... that's what coaching is about. You win some, you lose some. You have to be there for the long haul to turn the team into a competitor. Coaching 13 games while switching your starting QB 5 times is not sticking it out... that's complete and total failure.

innovativefx (12/12/2007)
Any coach that quits on his team before his 1st season is even over is a piece of ##### coward. Good ridance. Any team that hires him now is foolish. He has no idea about loyalty.

If he was at home crying, tough... that's what coaching is about. You win some, you lose some. You have to be there for the long haul to turn the team into a competitor. Coaching 13 games while switching your starting QB 5 times is not sticking it out... that's complete and total failure.

Good post and sig

F**k Petrino

If Petrino is as good as they say he is he'd have made better personnel decisions and called better plays then he did. Zimmer's Defense kept this team competitve and winnable most games this season, but Petrino's offense never showed up.

Redmond should have been given a shot sooner.

DJ didn't stand a chance with the guy.

It almost seems as if Petrino came here to pad his NFL career off of the "Michael Vick Experience" and when that did NOT workout, he cut and ran.

McKay's signing of "Bl:pinch:wey Scarringt:crying:n" and "Unlucky Lefty" only exaggerated the problem.

Now what does that tell you?

We are F@#$ed!:crying: No matter how anybody slices it, this team needs an overhaul. A blow hard, a pit bull. It also need patient fans.

Smashmouth (12/12/2007)
If Petrino is as good as they say he is he'd have made better personnel decisions and called better plays then he did. Zimmer's Defense kept this team competitve and winnable most games this season, but Petrino's offense never showed up.

Redmond should have been given a shot sooner.

DJ didn't stand a chance with the guy.

It almost seems as if Petrino came here to pad his NFL career off of the "Michael Vick Experience" and when that did NOT workout, he cut and ran.

McKay's signing of "Bl:pinch:wey Scarringt:crying:n" and "Unlucky Lefty" only exaggerated the problem.

Now what does that tell you?

We are F@#$ed! No matter how anybody slices it, this team needs an overhaul. A blow hard, a pit bull. It also need patient fans.

True about being screwed somewhat. But F*** being patient. I've been patient enough with this team all my life. I have faith in Blank wanting to build a winner at all costs, but that's all I have faith in. Unfortunately, it looks like there's a snake under every leaf these days.

There are some bright spots to our situation though. I bet Norwood gets more carries in the near future and beyond, and our next coach is likely to have a little more control to can the whole team if he wants to. I really don't care if he's an offensive or defensive guy, but I sure as heck still don't want a players coach. We had that in Mora. I want something a little closer to Petrino than Mora, but we need someone with a track record of being staunch, direct and one who has a history of overcoming adversity.

I'd love Cowher, but don't really know enough about Singletary to say I'd want him. I wouldn't complain about him being our HC for sure, but I just don't know what kind of coach he is or what kind of person.

celtik

Eddie Jewell (12/12/2007)
So I wake up this morning and the news tells me that Our coach Bobby Petrino left to become the new coach at Arkansas. All I can say is ****!!!! I was thinking that he would stay here and build a winner. Then I got to thinking, maybe he sees something we are not seeing. I don t know, but seems to me that a lot of things could have been the reason for his departure.

1. Could it be that he came here to coach Michael Vick? Could be the case, now that Vick is doing 23 months, it won t happen anytime soon.

2. His players. Were they just too much to handle? I know one thing for sure; you cannot be a coach on any level and not have problems out of your players. I mean he did have time in the NFL before. This shouldn t be that much of a problem.

3. The fans? He was loved in Louisville. He made that program in the short time he was there. In Atlanta, he was criticized almost daily. On the Atlanta Falcons Message board people were calling for his head. Maybe Firepetrino.com was next.

4. Finally the Organization. Could the organizations handling of the Vick situation and lack of support cause Petrino to jump ship? Hmmmmmm& .

Seems like there was a mixture of these variables that caused Coach P to leave. I mean were we at his house when he was crying to his wife about how he couldn t get things done? If you look at the picture of him at the Arkansas Presser, he is there with Mrs. P and they are elated. This decision was probably in the makings for weeks now. Going into another Monday night game on your 3rd string qb, can stress any coach. The injuries, the lack of effort, the politics. It stressed Coach P to phone in his resignation. Even after he assured the owner I am here.

Did he have the respect of the team, The Organization, The fans, the city? The hack job at the local newspaper and the daily butchering on sports talk radio. Coach P was pressured from the start to transform a team that never won anything. Was he to soft spoken for the job in Atlanta or any NFL franchise? It was too rough for him here. The real fans are small in numbers and the bandwagon fans will turn on you in a New York minute. No wonder coach P left like a thief in the night.

So what do we have to give to the best available coach out there? Not a thing. We want a Bill Cowher here. He isn t coming to Atlanta. Why would he? Our fan base can t measure to the fans in Pittsburg. Cleveland has better fans than we do. Our city is much bigger than theirs and we have more to offer. It is a shame that we cannot support our team better than those smaller cities. It is a shame that our team could not support it's own superstar. It is a shame that the dominos fell and kept falling until our rookie coach had enough. It is a shame that our team has no attitude. No pride. It is a shame that for the first time I can see big industry fall to a guerilla outfit like Peta. It is a shame that Michael Vick destroyed his professional career. Finally it is a shame that we have to start over from scratch this city doesn t deserve the best coach. It needs new fresh meat. It needs a Pit bull to bully the team. Pun intended. It needs a coach that can come in here and change the attitude and pride of the lost franchise. Our owner needs to sit in the box and sign checks. Our GM needs to build a winner in the next draft. No Darren McFadden, No Brian Brohm, Maybe a Jake Long. We need to reestablish the game in the trenches.

We need to piece the team together even if we see small progress in the next year. Sorry Mr. Blank we need headhunters. We need a nasty MLB and safeties that make grown men cry. We need a new attitude here. Coach P saw the writing on the wall and disappeared. Can you blame him?

Good luck in Arkansas Coach P. Maybe that job will leave you stress free. God help the next coach of the Falcons. If he can t assert himself soon he will leave like Coach P did and like Les Miles will Jan 8. Go Maize and Blue.

You're making excuses for Petrino. These are not excuses, but in reality are reasons why he left. There is no excuse for his early departure.

Great post. We do need to be patient. Arthur needs to go on Safari again to recharge his batteries. Then come back and build this monster from scratch. I am a fan I have nothing but patience. We will turn the corner.

Go Falcons.

celtiksage (12/12/2007)
We are F@#$ed! No matter how anybody slices it, this team needs an overhaul. A blow hard, a pit bull. It also need patient fans.

True about being screwed somewhat. But F*** being patient. I've been patient enough with this team all my life. I have faith in Blank wanting to build a winner at all costs, but that's all I have faith in. Unfortunately, it looks like there's a snake under every leaf these days.

There are some bright spots to our situation though. I bet Norwood gets more carries in the near future and beyond, and our next coach is likely to have a little more control to can the whole team if he wants to. I really don't care if he's an offensive or defensive guy, but I sure as heck still don't want a players coach. We had that in Mora. I want something a little closer to Petrino than Mora, but we need someone with a track record of being staunch, direct and one who has a history of overcoming adversity.

I'd love Cowher, but don't really know enough about Singletary to say I'd want him. I wouldn't complain about him being our HC for sure, but I just don't know what kind of coach he is or what kind of person.

celtik

Eddie Jewell (12/12/2007)
He will be in Arkansas for a while. **** shame we lost a great offensive mind.
NCFalconfan (12/12/2007)
9 jobs in 15 years. My advice to Arkansas is write Petrino's name in pencil.

I look forward to this great offensive mind getting chewed up by the rest of the SEC. Petrino lacks integrity, honesty, ethical behavior, and most of all class.