A Petrino departure may lead to unexpected opportunity for D.J. Shockley

ATL--75

Petrino's unexpected departure may open the door for Hue Jackson to take over (maybe in the interim or as the new head coach) and if this happens it may help revive D.J. Shockley's career and he may have his first full chance to lead the Falcons in 2008.

Redman may stick around as a Detmer role player (pseudo coach), but I see a competition in 2008 between Shock and Lefty.. the Falcons may get a QB such as Dennis Dixon from Oregon in the 3rd or 4th round..Harrington is history..

The following is an excerpt from a AJC article earlier this year..

"Because he has played you feel comfortable because the crowd and defense won't bother him. He has to knock the rust off," offensive coordinator Hue Jackson said. "D.J. has been around, played in some preseason games a year ago, played at the University of Georgia, so he knows those particular elements, too. It's just him getting the chance to play to show what he can do."

Shockley's leadership, huddle presence and arm strength have always been championed. This coaching staff has tinkered with his mechanics to help with his accuracy that his delivery.

"We're trying to get him to where he can quicken up a little bit, get his hips into the ball a bit more," Jackson said. "He's worked on it and done a fantastic job. It's still a work in progress and he understands it. The think I love about D.J. is he wants to be good."

Shockley not only wants to be good, he wants to be good for those he feels have been good to him. The best way to reward the love, he said, is to one day step on the field at the Georgia Dome as the Falcons' starting quarterback.

"I've already dreamed about that," he said.

grendel (12/12/2007)
Uhh... no. We'll still be taking our QB of the future in the draft. The new coaching staff will have even fewer ties to Shockley, so he'll be lucky to make the roster.

If Shock is healthy, he will be given a chance to compete for a starting job..

Cowher, if hired, is a progressive forward thinking coach. He doesn't mind having a dual threat QB leading his team.

So if its Hue as coach or Cowher or even a Mike Singletary... if Shock is healthy, prepare YOURSELF for the possibility that Shock may be the Falcons' new starting QB in 2008..

Tavaris Jackson in Minnesota has settled down and has HIS team in contention for a playoff berth..

grendel (12/12/2007)
Uhh... no. We'll still be taking our QB of the future in the draft. The new coaching staff will have even fewer ties to Shockley, so he'll be lucky to make the roster.

he did say taking dennis dixon in the draft. he could be the QB of the future. blank said that if the coaching staff wanted a QB to sit for a year then that would be fine. so what would be wrong with DJ coming back and still drafting for the future?? you def. have to have two QB's in the NFL these days.

grendel (12/12/2007)
plainsong (12/12/2007)
grendel (12/12/2007)

he did say taking dennis dixon in the draft. he could be the QB of the future. blank said that if the coaching staff wanted a QB to sit for a year then that would be fine. so what would be wrong with DJ coming back and still drafting for the future?? you def. have to have two QB's in the NFL these days.

I like Shockley, but a new coaching staff isn't going to have any reason to keep him. We'll see.

Shock will stay. He is the future. The offense would respond to Shock and if he is able to win games and keep the Falcons competitive like Vick once did, the coaching staff will give him a chance..

all i am saying is that DJ should be given a chance to compete for the starting job. i would still draft a QB for the future (in the later rounds like a dennis dixon). if DJ turns out to be the savior like so many on here think then fine, so be it. that would be great. dixon still would then be traded in the future.

either way, DJ should get his shot and if he wins it, he wins it. i dont know if he is a starting QB or not, no one does. he will have his shot.

DJ has shown no reason to believe he is a NFL QB. He had one decent year in college and barley could get any playing time in preseason games...oh yeah, he's coming off a severe injury...definitely our guy, sure.... Let's be realistic if he didn't go to uga, he would have been cut a long time ago

Shock will stay. He is the future. The offense would respond to Shock and if he is able to win games and keep the Falcons competitive like Vick once did, the coaching staff will give him a chance..

You nailed it..... Dixon may get drafted with our 1st or 1st 2nd pick.

But D.J should be given a chance to compete based on sheer comittment to the team alone.

If nothiing else it would be the logical and classy thing to do.

Lefty is not a good fit here...:ermm: :pinch: :crying:

The only knock against Shockley was that he only started that one year. If he had three years like his senior year some of you that dislike Shockley so much wouldn't feel the way you do. If some of these other scrubs can step in and play 'NFL QB' I have no reason to believe that Shockley can't.

I know some of you can't get past the 'he is from UGA and you are a homer if you like him' thing, but he has great potential.

falkonx7 (12/12/2007)
The only knock against Shockley was that he only started that one year. If he had three years like his senior year some of you that dislike Shockley so much wouldn't feel the way you do. If some of these other scrubs can step in and play 'NFL QB' I have no reason to believe that Shockley can't.

I know some of you can't get past the 'he is from UGA and you are a homer if you like him' thing, but he has great potential.

Absolutely..... Give the guy a chance.

He's a coaches son and has shown nothing but comittment and promise since he's been here. I'm of the belief that he'd be playing now had Petrino used him properly in the preseason.

Petrino put DJ in a shaky long shot position by the way he used him.

DJ felt he had to press to impress in a preseason game on the heals of the Vick fiasco, and therefore DJ tried to do too much and got hurt in the process.

Perino Blew from that point on imo.

Smashmouth (12/12/2007)
falkonx7 (12/12/2007)

I wholeheartedly agree. The way Petrino handled the Shockley situation in camp set the tone for the 2007 season. And when Redman got 60 percent of the snaps while Shock was stuck playing late in the fourth quarter with rookie free agents and 3rd string players..

That was one of Petrino's biggest mistakes and he paid for it.. and his NFL coaching career is quickly over.. the other big mistake (not of his making) is Dunn starting

Absolutely..... Give the guy a chance.

He's a coaches son and has shown nothing but comittment and promise since he's been here. I'm of the belief that he'd be playing now had Petrino used him properly in the preseason.

Petrino put DJ in a shaky long shot position by the way he used him.

DJ felt he had to press to impress in a preseason game on the heals of the Vick fiasco, and therefore DJ tried to do too much and got hurt in the process.

Perino Blew from that point on imo.