I am interested to see who draft sites have us picking up in their mocks

To be honest, that mock is a pretty bad one IMO

Richardson in the 1st?? Highly unlikely and would be a monstrous reach...

I honestly dont think McKay would let DMC slip by for Brohm. We need to go BPA at all costs!

Also i agree with the other poster. If we hire a defensive coach and DMC is gone, i think Rich will draft either Dorsey(if still available), Laurinaitis or try and trade down a couple of spots for Ellis...

The defense is almost there, the offense is years away from doing anything grand...

defensedefensedefense (12/13/2007)
To be honest, that mock is a pretty bad one IMO

Richardson in the 1st?? Highly unlikely and would be a monstrous reach...

I honestly dont think McKay would let DMC slip by for Brohm. We need to go BPA at all costs!

Also i agree with the other poster. If we hire a defensive coach and DMC is gone, i think Rich will draft either Dorsey(if still available), Laurinaitis or try and trade down a couple of spots for Ellis...

The defense is almost there, the offense is years away from doing anything grand...

Agreed 100%... we need to go BPA.

Though I believe Ellis is currently graded higher than Laurinaitis... neither would be a reach in any form if McFadden and Dorsey are off the board. Jake Long should not be ruled out... but I am much more in favor of taking Ellis or Laurinaitis.

Guest Libid21

If we happen to sign and hire Mike Singeltary as our head coach, I hope you guys realize that we will be drafting Laurinaitis first in the draft. 49ers defense is anchored by Mike Singletary's very own tutored, bred, tamed, whatever you want to call it, linebackers, and the kid who stands out the most in his finished products is Patrick Willis.

Laurinatis is a better prospect coming out of the draft than Willis was, and he is much more versatile with his pass coverage. I'd just like to know what you guys would think if we draft Laurinaitis considering McFadden, Dorsey, and Jake Long are drafted past us.

Libid21 (12/13/2007)
If we happen to sign and hire Mike Singeltary as our head coach, I hope you guys realize that we will be drafting Laurinaitis first in the draft. 49ers defense is anchored by Mike Singletary's very own tutored, bred, tamed, whatever you want to call it, linebackers, and the kid who stands out the most in his finished products is Patrick Willis.

Laurinatis is a better prospect coming out of the draft than Willis was, and he is much more versatile with his pass coverage. I'd just like to know what you guys would think if we draft Laurinaitis considering McFadden, Dorsey, and Jake Long are drafted past us.

I will go out on a limb here and say you are 100% incorrect on this one. If there is one position that we at least have talent at it is the LB position. Boley is a stud. DMO has great talent as does Nicholas (who can play MLB btw), and one might argue that Brooking will exel if moved back to WLB. Regardless, w/ all of the holes there are too many BPAs that fill needs other than a LB.

Tops among list will be QBs. It's obvious we don't have a QB on the roster that we believe in and the FAs arent' that plentiful. If McFadden slipped to us, I could see us taking him as he is a BPA and position of need. Dunn is past his prime, regardless of system.

At the worst (which isn't bad), even if Singletary is coach we draft Jake Long w/ our pick and either trade up back into the first for a QB or nab one falling w/ the second pick.

BTW i think it's safe to say we won't see Brennan here.

defensedefensedefense (12/13/2007)

The fact that the defense is almost there would make it an even bigger joke if we used our 1st pick on anything other than offense.

On offense we desperately need an OT, QB, and could use another RB.

Why on Earth would we not address that side of the ball?

grendel (12/13/2007)

Because a team that's mediocre on both sides of the ball tends to end up with records like 4-12. If you have one dominating unit, that team can take over the game and win it for you, even if the other side of the ball isn't doing much.

Our defense isn't mediocre.

We have a playoff caliber D.

It's the O that goes 3 and out and hurts our D.

It would make no sense not to fix that with our strongest pick

Our defense is hardly playoff caliber...

Suspect DT's, suspect safeties and not much depth doesnt = playoff caliber to me...

Why not utilize this draft and put the defense in the upper echelon of the NFL, and also draft some beef for the OL... That will go a long way for stabilization on the offensive side of the ball... We then use the 2009 and the 2010 drafts for more OL and offensive playmakers(QB,RB,WR etc) whilst bolstering depth on both sides of the ball(esp. the OL/DL) with the later rounds of the drafts...

It is not always necessary to draft for weaknesses... In just one draft we can have topflight defense, we need 2-3 to have the same effect on the offense...