Love pizza or french people love french fries.(by the way what do you call french people?)

Have we as a society lowered ourselves to the level of calling a race by what one eats?

I love fried porkchops. Is that racist? I wonder what word could Arthur Blank use besides fried chicken too get his main point across, which is don't get fat and lazy.

Don't eat fried foods or sit around and do nothing all day, Exercise and keep yourself physically fit mind and body.

ty down (12/12/2007)
JayOzOne (12/12/2007)
French fries come from Greece.

Why would we call them French fries?

Why not Irish potatoes fried!

As I said above, they come originally from the French speaking part of Belgium. In WWI Belgium was a battle ground between France and it´s allies (incl. the US) and Germany and the fries were already liked in the neighbour countries of Belgium, like France. So American soldiers come in touch with those fries while fighting in France and obviously liked it and so the fries were introduced in the US shortly after WWI. Since most soldiers refered to that war as the "war in France" and they probably thought that the French invented them anyway, they called those fries "French fries"

To be honest, French fries are not very "french". They are more popular in Germany/Holland/Belgium. I don´t think French people are very flattered to be associated with fries, because their food is usually more -- let´s say -- sophisticated ;)

Anyway, European don´t call them "French fries" of course. The British call them "Chips" (for a reason I don´t know), while the rest of Europe calls them "pommes frites", which actually is the original (French) name of the fries, but as I mentioned, Belgium is a French speaking country ;)

falconbeast (12/13/2007)
ty down (12/12/2007)
JayOzOne (12/12/2007)
French fries come from Greece.

Why would we call them French fries?

Why not Irish potatoes fried!

As I said above, they come originally from the French speaking part of Belgium. In WWI Belgium was a battle ground between France and it´s allies (incl. the US) and Germany and the fries were already liked in the neighbour countries of Belgium, like France. So American soldiers come in touch with those fries while fighting in France and obviously liked it and so the fries were introduced in the US shortly after WWI. Since most soldiers refered to that war as the "war in France" and they probably thought that the French invented them anyway, they called those fries "French fries"

To be honest, French fries are not very "french". They are more popular in Germany/Holland/Belgium. I don´t think French people are very flattered to be associated with fries, because their food is usually more -- let´s say -- sophisticated ;)

Anyway, European don´t call them "French fries" of course. The British call them "Chips" (for a reason I don´t know), while the rest of Europe calls them "pommes frites", which actually is the original (French) name of the fries, but as I mentioned, Belgium is a French speaking country ;)

A considerable part of the world calls them Chips.

The only place they are called "Fries" is at Maccas. Although in Australia, you walk upto Maccas and ask for "large fries" you will get weird looks.