Freshman Ball makes gains in weight room..

Freshman Ball makes gains in weight room

By CARTER STRICKLAND

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 12/12/07

Athens Neland Ball came to Georgia with the look every wide receiver should have. He was tall (6 feet 6) and rangy, but strong at 218 pounds, and he could run with anybody.

But Ball was and is a defensive end. Now, the freshman finally looks like one.

that weight room and getting bigger, faster and stronger."

Ball looks as if he has accomplished the task. He weighs 240 pounds, a gain of 22 since the beginning of the season.

"I was very surprised I was able to put on that much weight," Ball said. "I'm still not there yet."

Next fall, Ball would like to be 255 to 260. And he doesn't expect to lose any of his speed because of his time in the weight room. As for being able to make an impact on the field, that is coming.

"I learned a lot on scout team as far as working against the first team," Ball said. "I told the first-team guys, 'Don't take it light on me.' I want to work when I'm down there."

Recruiting update

Ohio offensive lineman Zebrie Sanders has delayed his decision on where he'll sign until Jan. 2. Georgia remains in the mix.

Jefferson County's A.J. Harmon has backed off his commitment to Clemson. He will not announce a final decision until his senior banquet in January. But Harmon's reservations about going to Clemson hinged on the future of Tommy Bowden. Now Bowden has agreed to a contract extension, and Harmon is expected to remain with Clemson.

With only one or two commitments left for Georgia, coaches have devoted down time the past two weeks to evaluating juniors.

"We are definitely working the guys we have committed," Richt said. "But if you are working 50 to get 25, you are working a lot of guys. If you are working 26 to get 25, then you've actually got more time to look at the juniors now rather than waiting for the spring. We'll probably be able to make more evaluations now and maybe make more offers early than if we were scrambling to the end."

No...but I know for a fact that neuromuscular strength gains can only take you so far....and then you need to put on muscle to get significantly stronger.........that's why the strongest guys in the world weigh 275lb's +......more muscle equals more strength....surely even you should realize that. Now, if you put on show muscle....that's another story.....but if your 6'6'' and only 218 lbs, you are going to be MUCH stronger at 250 if you are putting on legit muscle.....

Type IIx muscle fibers are the first to develop....and they are your 'power lifting' muscles. The worlds overall strongest people are not body builders. This persons strength will not increase greatly if he was a progressive, fundamental weight lifter for many years.

If he wasnt, then of course he would get stronger. You easily hit strength plateaus though while muscle continues to get larger...mostly via Type I muscle that adds little to strength training.

All the worlds best power lifters, pound for pound, are not big guys....and if they gained weight would gain little in terms of strength.

I said that weight wasnt a bad thing for this guy since he is a DE...but unless he never worked out much in high school and early college(which is possible) then he wont be getting significantly stronger out of nowhere...sans anabolic steroids of course.