In defense of Petrino

I just can't find a way to defend him now. I gave him the benefit of the doubt with all that happened and all the injuries, but when he resigned, he quit. I can't defend that. I ridicule those that come here and start threads about how they are no longer fans. Well, the same goes for coaches.

Petrino, you quit and are no longer welcome here. Further, I look forward to Vanderbilt beating you! :P

Shiney_McShine (12/11/2007)
I just can't find a way to defend him now. I gave him the benefit of the doubt with all that happened and all the injuries, but when he resigned, he quit. I can't defend that. I ridicule those that come here and start threads about how they are no longer fans. Well, the same goes for coaches.

Petrino, you quit and are no longer welcome here. Further, I look forward to Vanderbilt beating you! :P

HOF

Well said. I can't blame him for quitting but the way he did it just feels really sneaky and slimey. Also, a lot of people owe RichardC an apology. He was flamed like a piece of tinder but he was right most of the time.

just can't find a way to defend him now. I gave him the benefit of the doubt with all that happened and all the injuries, but when he resigned, he quit. I can't defend that. I ridicule those that come here and start threads about how they are no longer fans. Well, the same goes for coaches.

Petrino, you quit and are no longer welcome here. Further, I look forward to Vanderbilt beating you!

----------------------------------

i think he came to the realization that the falcons will always be losers and no amount of $$$$$ he was getting was ever gonna change that fact. i tip my hat to him and wish him the best

It's impossible to defend him... He should have had the decency to at least stick it out the last few games... And then what gets me, is he resigns like that to the assistants that HE hired.. I thought was a very low blow, not only to the team but to the fans.

I won't lie to you guys.. I m a Buc's fan, and I wanted to win on Sunday, but, not this way. I think you fans up there in Atlanta have had enough and have been through probably the worst year of football since Leeman Bennett ;) All kidding aside.. It will get better and hopefully you guys will bring in a good coach with a winning attitude.. You have some good players already in place, and there are some good people who I think may be a good fit.. Some people said Singletary, Cower, Marty.. Anyone of those would be much better than what you were stuck with this year... Good Luck :)

Petrino was sold a bill of goods, which was: Vick=most exciting player ever to play QB. A team that was 8-8 with horrible coaching / play calling, on both sides of ball. Professional Vets with good leadership to help young players through tough times and transition.

Reality: NO VICK= exposed O-line that was / is horrible. 3 average Bkups at QB. Injury decimates an already poor line making it a turnstile. Injuries decimate DT position. He has "Pro's" whinning to the press about him after a couple of games. (you don't see that with New England, those guys are Professionals) The Vet leadership didn't have his back or for that matter even give him a chance, especially considering the STAR QB was going to jail.

NO rational person can blame Petrion for bolting while the getting was good. Did you guys not see the game last night. Those are mentally beaten guys out there, a few are playing hearts out even though everyone knows deep down inside they are going to lose b/c they are not a good TEAM.

At least whoever we hire next will know what they are in for, Eyes Wide Open

You are so right.

It's embarrassing to have been a huge Petrino supporter on these boards, but I'm guilty of defending him and citing his accomplishments, albeit from his college career at U of L.

He's no longer welcome here and I hate the way he left.

I guess I should have known this was possible, given all of Petrino's history; however, I'm basically an optimist and believe that people can change if they want to. Guess Bobby P didn't want the challenge of an NFL job.

I'll continue to support the Falcons organization and hope that we can get a coach who is:

Tough but fair: don't want another 'players coach' who coddles whiners

Focused on building a quality program...and a winning program

A football guy: able to earn the respect of players, fans, the NFL and who treats others with respect

Capable and willing to make all of the difficult but necessary personnel decisions needed to right this sinking ship

A clear, effective communicator

I'm PO'd, but I'm also already over Petrino's departure, and ready to move on to the RIGHT coach who will get the job done. He will have my support.

root down (12/11/2007)
Petrino was sold a bill of goods, which was: Vick=most exciting player ever to play QB. A team that was 8-8 with horrible coaching / play calling, on both sides of ball. Professional Vets with good leadership to help young players through tough times and transition.

Reality: NO VICK= exposed O-line that was / is horrible. 3 average Bkups at QB. Injury decimates an already poor line making it a turnstile. Injuries decimate DT position. He has "Pro's" whinning to the press about him after a couple of games. (you don't see that with New England, those guys are Professionals) The Vet leadership didn't have his back or for that matter even give him a chance, especially considering the STAR QB was going to jail.

NO rational person can blame Petrion for bolting while the getting was good. Did you guys not see the game last night. Those are mentally beaten guys out there, a few are playing hearts out even though everyone knows deep down inside they are going to lose b/c they are not a good TEAM.

At least whoever we hire next will know what they are in for, Eyes Wide Open

I will blame him for bolting. He signed a contract and agreed to coach this team. If things went wrong, then tough. Thats what separates the good from the bad and the good from the great. No excuses for Petrino, every coach will encounter adversity. Petrino ran away from it.

I've lived in Ga. all my live, and always been a falcon fan.

I'll admit Joe Montana and Jerry Rice stole my attention in their glory days,

but I've never been let down this bad. When Vick got arrested I knew we wouldn't

do much, but I had hope for the future. And for our coach to just up and split without

no warning has to say something about the kind of person this speed bump is. I wouldn't

be surprised if he didn't have some illegitimate children out there. This pylon deserves

a cardboard box in a dark alley somewhere, because I wouldn't wish him less than the

most miserable existence on this planet or anywhere else. I might feel differently about him

tomorrow but right now I feel like he just drank my last beer and he's not even my friend. This useless piece of toejam! His daddy let the best part of him drip on the sheets!

I will blame him for bolting. He signed a contract and agreed to coach this team. If things went wrong, then tough. Thats what separates the good from the bad and the good from the great. No excuses for Petrino, every coach will encounter adversity. Petrino ran away from it.

One of Petrino's favorite lines was always:

Adversity doesn't build character...it reveals it.

Guess we know what Petrino's character is like, don't we?

Anyone trying to defend Petrino in this is absolutely misguided. This man made a commitment (for a ton of money mind you) to coach this team. He went through and changed the entire way of doing things and made many mistakes on the way. Then he bailed out after singing all the right songs up until the day before he quit. He has done more damage to himself, his brother/coaches he hired, Louisville, and most importantly the Falcons.

Anyone saying that just because Vick wasn't here is justifiable is wrong. Injuries happen all the time and the backups are coached through it. He is a man with no honor or integrity and I hope that Arkansas gets burned too for the way they got him. I also hope that he is liable for punitive damages to the value of the franchise and is held civilly liable.

I can understand why he ran away from this complete mess

When the biggest issue after the game is Arthur Blank's speculation on a federal inmate's food choices and not the fact that you got your ##### totally kicked, you know you're surrounded by idiots.

Fire Mckay.

Maybe he was disgusted by the "Free Mike Vick" crap last night and had enough.