In Response to all these "chicken posts"

I felt like i had to say this to the posts i find offensive.

The posts on here directed at the chicken eating comment and the onces making fun of the comment are getting offensive to me. I have a thick skin and like a good laugh like the next person but i think i have to speak up. The issue isnt about liking chicken or not. Like Dave Chapelle said what red blooded american dont like chicken. Its delicious. Most KFC's are in non-black neighborhoods up north where i am. That is not the point. The point is the opinion that assuming black people love chicken is a direct result of a racist stereotype directed at our people. I am saddened that some of you would downplay the fact that a race takes offense to a comment and in that shows that little racist in all of us. This is an Atlanta Falcons message board not a "those who arent offended by jiggaboo, watermelon, chicken, and all the other racist jokes i seen on this board" message board. Its messed up some of you cant respect that. I am sure if a comparable comment was made about jews, that jewish board members would take offense so why is it any less offensive cause it was about us blacks.

I dont care what any of you guys say. Some of you need to really look in the mirror and be honest with yourself that you have a little racist living inside you. Not being sensitive to someone taking offense is just as wrong as being the person who said the offense. That what keeps the cycle going.

Again. I am black. I like chicken. For all i know chicken and french fries could be Mike Vicks favorite food. That is not the point. The owner should be sensible enough to know that assuming mike vick will spend his next 2 years in jail eating chicken and getting fat. SOUNDS INCREDIBLY RACIST. Meaning it or not. He made a racist comment. Point blank.

So comment on this post all you want. All it does who tells me where i stand with some of the other board members. My dad always told me to find out who is racist around you cause atleast you know where they stand. Cause there is nothing worst than a closet racist. They are too much of a punk to be honest with themselves then they too much of a punk to be honest with you.

Everyone walking this earth has some preconceived ideas about other groups. That's a part of human DNA. If anyone denies that, whether they're causcasian, African-american, asian or hispanic they are lying. Did Blank make a mistake in his choice of words? Yes, he probably did. But it's even more wrong to look at what a man says in one moment and label him forever based on that one slip.

Look at Arthur Blank as a man. He has probably done more good with his Blank Foundation than all the people on this MB combined will ever do in their lives.

That's how you judge a man if you're going to judge him at all.

215FalconsFanatic (12/11/2007)
I am saddened that some of you would downplay the fact that a race takes offense to a comment and in that shows that little racist in all of us......

I dont care what any of you guys say. Some of you need to really look in the mirror and be honest with yourself that you have a little racist living inside you....

I'm assuming that since you think there is "a little racist" living inside all of us you're not immune to that affliction also?

IThe owner should be sensible enough to know that assuming mike vick will spend his next 2 years in jail eating chicken and getting fat. SOUNDS INCREDIBLY RACIST. Meaning it or not. He made a racist comment.

Those few sentences sum up the ignorance of your post. Just because something "sounds incredibly racist" does not make it so.

Wow. i never thought some of you would prove my point.

1) I never said i hate Blank for what he said or forever label him a racist. I just said he is guilty of making a bad choice in words which was a racist comment.

2) I am honest enough to admit that yes i have made racist comments before. If i did them in front of someone, either by them asking me to or by my own doing i apologized. I am not a hateful person by nature and i dont know blank enough to say he is too. I for one think he is a stand up dude. He is on my list of people i would like to sit down and have a plate a wings and talk real talk with.

3) Yes if someone says something offensive and they didnt mean to, i can take offense. How can another person tell someone how to feel? If i say a woman in my office with large breast has on a nice blouse but she takes it as i making fun of breast, then i am in the wrong. When you deal with people, you have to be aware of what you say.

I felt like i had to say this to the posts i find offensive.

The posts on here directed at the chicken eating comment and the onces making fun of the comment are getting offensive to me. I have a thick skin and like a good laugh like the next person but i think i have to speak up. The issue isnt about liking chicken or not. Like Dave Chapelle said what red blooded american dont like chicken. Its delicious. Most KFC's are in non-black neighborhoods up north where i am. That is not the point. The point is the opinion that assuming black people love chicken is a direct result of a racist stereotype directed at our people. I am saddened that some of you would downplay the fact that a race takes offense to a comment and in that shows that little racist in all of us. This is an Atlanta Falcons message board not a "those who arent offended by jiggaboo, watermelon, chicken, and all the other racist jokes i seen on this board" message board. Its messed up some of you cant respect that. I am sure if a comparable comment was made about jews, that jewish board members would take offense so why is it any less offensive cause it was about us blacks.

I dont care what any of you guys say. Some of you need to really look in the mirror and be honest with yourself that you have a little racist living inside you. Not being sensitive to someone taking offense is just as wrong as being the person who said the offense. That what keeps the cycle going.

Again. I am black. I like chicken. For all i know chicken and french fries could be Mike Vicks favorite food. That is not the point. The owner should be sensible enough to know that assuming mike vick will spend his next 2 years in jail eating chicken and getting fat. SOUNDS INCREDIBLY RACIST. Meaning it or not. He made a racist comment. Point blank.

So comment on this post all you want. All it does who tells me where i stand with some of the other board members. My dad always told me to find out who is racist around you cause atleast you know where they stand. Cause there is nothing worst than a closet racist. They are too much of a punk to be honest with themselves then they too much of a punk to be honest with you.

You're just an idiot. People don't have a problem with people taking offense to something offensive. If you want to take offense to this fine. Obviously your too small minded to actually have heard what he said and what he was talking about. It was "fried chicken and fries." If he'd said "fried chicken and watermelon," then you'd be right and I'd be right there just as pissed off as you. BUT he didn't. He was talking about "fried chicken and fries." What do these have in common? They're fried you idiot! They're not condusive to an athletes diet. That was his point. Look for racism and you can find it anywhere. Here's a notice to you, the little racist in you has grown up over the years and is about to bust out of your glass house.

1) I never said i hate Blank for what he said or forever label him a racist. I just said he is guilty of making a bad choice in words which was a racist comment.

2) I am honest enough to admit that yes i have made racist comments before. If i did them in front of someone, either by them asking me to or by my own doing i apologized. I am not a hateful person by nature and i dont know blank enough to say he is too. I for one think he is a stand up dude. He is on my list of people i would like to sit down and have a plate a wings and talk real talk with.

3) Yes if someone says something offensive and they didnt mean to, i can take offense. How can another person tell someone how to feel? If i say a woman in my office with large breast has on a nice blouse but she takes it as i making fun of breast, then i am in the wrong. When you deal with people, you have to be aware of what you say.

If I knew what point you were trying to make I could maybe agree or disagree that anyone responding was "proving your point."

If your contention is that you have a right to be offended then by all means, be offended. It's a free country. But the fact that it is a free country gives me the right to look at the innocent nature of Blank's comments and wonder what kind of other agenda you're trying to promote.

I'm not telling anyone how to feel about things. I really want to know how people justify taking offense when none was offered.

To me it's pretty much the same as convicting an innocent person.

Steve_Bartkowski (12/11/2007)
Black folk and fried chicken have nothing to do with each other!

With that said, DO NOT click on this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGrqW3nx5HM

:Whistling:

I am 100 percent against racism of any kind. I dont sit around with my friends trading black or hispanic jokes. I grew up in the projects, but I think is horrible the way the N word is used. Anyone who has had a bebate with me on this board knows that first hand ( roddy ). That being said, That song might be the funniest thing Ive ever seen. Not because of the racism factor, but because that guy is an idiot.

I don't think the original post was about Arthur Blanks comments, I'm pretty sure we all know Arthur Blank didn't realize what he was saying would come off as a stereotype. I believe the guy is referring to where some of the board members are going with all of this stuff, and this thread has further strengthened his post.

As far as everyone have a little bit of racist in them, of course. I do, not in a "He's black, he must be a criminal." way, but more of a "I've watched too much Dave Chappelle and sometimes make jokes with my friends" way. The difference is having respect enough to not do it on a message board where you know a black, white or jewish person will read it.

...White people love Bolonga (sp? ...it wasn't in the Spell Checker lol.) and mayonnaise.

Some food for thought.....

Isnt Atlanta in the South?

Isnt one of the Souths most famous foods SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN?

Its a staple of the region.

Why isnt Blank saying fried chicken and fries no different than Bellicheck saying New England Clam Chowder?

Is it because people automatically LOOK for something racist in peoples words even when they dont mean anything close to that?

I read the first post and I feel like I need to clear something up. This entire "chicken" thing is not "racism". It's a stereotype. Racism is a very powerful word that has a very strong meaning. Stereotypes and racism are VERY VERY different. Racism is bad. Stereotypes are not necessarily bad. When you look at a person with a pocket protector and glasses and think that they are smart, that's a stereotype. When you look at a person and think anything, that's a stereotype. When you think your race is above another race, that's racism. Everybody on the planet makes stereotypes. I see a chick in a short skirt, tight shirt, with her chest hanging out, I think she's easy, and that's a stereotype. I will be the first to admit that I stereotype, but so do every last one of you.

I agree that Chris Rock said it best. Everybody likes chicken and watermelon. If you don't like chicken and watermelon, than there's something wrong with you. Maybe I'm ignorant to why this is offensive, but seriously, why is it offensive to think any individual of any race likes chicken? I understand that a lot of black people can take this offensively, so I'm really curious to understand, why are you insulted if a white person refers to a black person eating chicken? What's the difference between thinking a black person eats chicken and thinking an Italian person eats pasta?

How is saying "fried chicken" a bad choice of words? Fried chicken is an example of a food that is high in fat and high in cholesterol. He also said "Fries" which is another example of a fried food that is bad for your health. The only thing Blank was trying to convey is that if Vick eats a poor diet while in prison, he will not be in the same shape as he was in before he went to prison.

Why do you have to assume that this use of the words "Fried Chicken" has some kind of negative connotation for black people? Do you get offended whenever a KFC commercial comes on? Do you assume that KFC is only targeting black people with that commercial and not the entire population of Americans who love to eat fried chicken? I am really having a hard time seeing how this is a racist remark by Blank in any way.

What gives black people the right to claim fried chicken as their food and no one of any other race can claim that they also love fried chicken? I have traveled to China a lot, and I can tell you fried chicken is probably the most favored fast food choice there. KFC is wildly popular, it's just insane. check out these links if you don't believe me

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6833233/

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...-543845,00.html