Fried Chicken Poll

help me

I voted iron skillet, but I have a pretty deep one, so it's pretty close to deep fried.

I marinate the chicken overnight in buttermilk. I mix up some flour, salt, black and red pepper in a plastic bag. I shake it up, then drop the pieces one by one in the hot oil (I prefer peanut oil with a little added bacon grease.). I cook the chicken for the first ten minutes with the lid on the skillet, then finish it with the lid off. Add some hot biscuits, collard greens, black-eyed peas, and a big bottle of Tabasco and you got something fit to eat. Oh yeah, I must not forget tea sweet enough to pour on pancakes.

I know what I'm having for supper..........

boss_martian (12/11/2007)
I voted iron skillet, but I have a pretty deep one, so it's pretty close to deep fried.

I marinate the chicken overnight in buttermilk. I mix up some flour, salt, black and red pepper in a plastic bag. I shake it up, then drop the pieces one by one in the hot oil (I prefer peanut oil with a little added bacon grease.). I cook the chicken for the first ten minutes with the lid on the skillet, then finish it with the lid off. Add some hot biscuits, collard greens, black-eyed peas, and a big bottle of Tabasco and you got something fit to eat. Oh yeah, I must not forget tea sweet enough to pour on pancakes.

I know what I'm having for supper..........

CAN YOU INVITE A BROTHA OVER WHEN YOU COOK THAT MEAL?? YOU CAN HAVE MY SISTER FOR THE NIGHT.....:)

ancient raptor (12/11/2007)
Iron skillett if I could get it. Lordy, don't know when the last time I actually had some though.

Son's Place (Deacon Burton's son) is one of the few places in Atlanta that still does and he still uses Deacon's skillets. They are massive. There was an article in the AJC (yes they took time out from attacking YKW) recently about how properly using an iron skillet is a dying art. Most restaraunt owners now use deep fryers because you can cook bigger batches. There were some others listed but I do not remember them since none were in my Woodstock area. I think Mary Macs even uses a deep fryer now.

help me (12/11/2007)
ancient raptor (12/11/2007)
Iron skillett if I could get it. Lordy, don't know when the last time I actually had some though.

Son's Place (Deacon Burton's son) is one of the few places in Atlanta that still does and he still uses Deacon's skillets. They are massive. There was an article in the AJC (yes they took time out from attacking YKW) recently about how properly using an iron skillet is a dying art. Most restaraunt owners now use deep fryers because you can cook bigger batches. There were some others listed but I do not remember them since none were in my Woodstock area. I think Mary Macs even uses a deep fryer now.

SON'S PLACE IS HOLY GROUND! I've eaten fried chicken from a thousand different places (including my Mom's) and Son's is the best I've ever had. Matter of fact, everything I ever had from there was heaven on a plate. I haven't been since I moved up here to Baltimore and there's nothing close around here.

help me (12/11/2007)
I'm an iron skillet man myself. The sound and smell from a cut up whole chicken frying in crisco in a seasoned iron skillet cannot be matched.

I love fried chicken cooked just like you are talking about!!!!

If you were talking about turkey I would have said deep fryer, but since it's chicken then I say fried is the only way to go. The only thing is though I have never had fries with it, we ussually have as side items maybe turnip greens and slaw and mashed potatoes to go with it. We mix it up sometimes as far as the side items go, mash potatoes are a must for me with just about any fried food though. I'm just not a big fan of fries when it comes to home cooking, but that could be because I order a lot of fast food combo meals that come with fries as the only option.