Classless Saints fans show no respect for former Community Hero

atripes

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/f...lcons_1209.html

Horn 'won't forget' hurt left by New Orleans

By STEVE WYCHE

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 12/09/07

Flowery Branch Falcons wide receiver Joe Horn took the high road out of New Orleans when they released him after last season and he's walked that trail since signing a four-year, $19 million, free agent contract with the Falcons.

Now, with the Saints coming to town Monday, Joe decided to blow his horn.

Joe Horn, who signed a four-year, $19 million, free agent contract with the Falcons this season, was stung by fans' boos when he returned to New Orleans -- his former home of seven NFL seasons.

The 35-year-old wide receiver took umbrage with second-year coach Sean Payton, blaming his ego and treatment of people for New Orleans' slippage out of the playoff hunt after making it to the NFC championship game.

He also said he was seriously stung by fans who booed him Oct. 21, when the Saints defeated the Falcons 22-16 in his first trip back to a city he embraced and embraced him, especially after Hurricane Katrina.

"I love the players there," said Horn, who made three Pro Bowls in seven seasons with New Orleans. "They know. They know Joe Horn and they know how I feel about them so I'm not trying to give no locker room, bulletin board, rah-rah material that gives them confidence and excitement to get them to come here and play hard.

"All those guys there, Jeff Faine, Drew Brees, Marques Colston, Mike McKenzie, all of them know I care about them and love them. I've been in the fire with them before.

"But to see what's happened and unfolded, man ... When you get power in this league I own a business and I don't talk to people who work for me any kind of way. I don't treat them like dirt under my feet.

"Sooner or later, I don't care what profession you in, when you get power and you know you have power and you act like you're The Man, it will come back and bite you in the [behind]. So basically, it's the chicken coming home to roost. That's what it is.

"I'm talking about that genius that they hired in New Orleans."

Horn's resentment stems from his bitter split from the Saints.

"I just don't think [coach] Sean Payton wanted me back," Horn said after being let go by New Orleans. "I asked to be released because I felt betrayed by a head coach who wanted to prove he could win without Joe Horn."

What goes around, comes around, Horn said.

New Orleans went from preseason Super Bowl contenders to posting a 5-7 record coming into Monday's game with the 3-9 Falcons. The Saints had a chance to get back in the playoff hunt, but last week, Payton called a questionable reverse play that resulted in a game-changing fumble in a 27-23 loss to Tampa Bay last. (Ironically, it was the same play the Saints scored a touchdown with against Atlanta last season in the first game in the Superdome after Hurricane Katrina).

Horn said the play call exemplified Payton's ego.

Payton spoke highly of Horn upon Horn's release and in an interview earlier this season before the Falcons played at New Orleans.

"Joe's numbers speak for themselves, and throughout his career here he has been everything an NFL player should be in the community," Payton said after Horn was released. "He holds a special place to our fans because of his involvement in the city and his passion on the field. Decisions of this type aren't easy, and we understand his desire to see what his value may be with other teams."

Horn signed with the Saints' biggest rival. He is seventh on the Falcons in receptions with 22 (203 yards) this season. He missed three games with a hamstring injury.

When the Falcons played in New Orleans earlier this season, Horn was met with more boos than cheers. At the time, he said that did not bother him. He admitted that he was lying.

"When I went back there, I was very teary eyed when I flew in because a lot of memories went through my mind," Horn said. "I expected to get some boos and I smiled about it and laughed about it. A lady came up and hugged me and thanked me for everything and she said Joe, they weren't booing you, they were booing the jersey. She calmed it down and made it make more sense but I was really, really hurt but I had to play it off.

"The same people who were booing me, they probably forgot that I was standing on the front line in [the Saints' temporary home] San Antonio begging the commissioner to have the Saints back in New Orleans. It was only right for that team to be in New Orleans.

"A lot of the people you see smiling now about the Saints wanted the Saints to stay in San Antonio. They were doing everything in their power to keep the team in San Antonio but I felt that wasn't right so I stood up and did what I did to get that team back in New Orleans. To hear the boos and to know the some people that were booing could have been the same people who were waiting in the grocery lines for three hours or waiting three hours for gas with me hurt.

"After Katrina, they know that I stopped what I was doing to give hugs and autographs and tell them it's going were to be OK. Some of the ones that were booing forgot that. That hurt me. That really hurt me.

"I understand, but I won't forget."

Wait, wait, wait...

The same Joe Horn that said that New Orleans/Atlanta isn't a rivalry?

The same Joe Horn that said how great San Antonio is, at least until the Comish said the Saints WERE going back to New Orleans period?

The same Joe Horn that completely ignored his former OC, now HC for Green Bay, when he was asked to come up to Green Bay after Horn got his release from New Orleans?

The same Joe Horn that, after ignoring Green Bay, went directly to the Saints biggest (though apparently not even a rival in his world,) rival?

Oh, so we're supposed to believe him now?

/besides which, the boos he got were tame in comparison to what Hebert got and Morton get.

//If he wants to see real hate, I invite him to head to Philly next time Dallas goes there to see the reception TO gets.

///has he done anything for Atlanta anyway?

"After Katrina, they know that I stopped what I was doing to give hugs and autographs and tell them it's going were to be OK. Some of the ones that were booing forgot that. That hurt me. That really hurt me.

"I understand, but I won't forget."

Joe will forget because he is 137 years old and old people have crappy memories. I mean, look at the way he forgot how to catch td's n stuff.

Joe...you suck. Period. Remember THAT.

WhenFalconsWin (12/14/2007)
saintmtillage (12/12/2007)
I am sure if joe signed with the packers like he should have there would be no boos. Maybe if he shut his trap he also wouldn't alienate people. Great thread btw........sarcasmoff

I doubt JH will be with us next year.

He has outlived his usefulness now that he has:

1.) given the Saints playbook to the Falcons so that offensive genius Bobby P could outscheme Payton.

2.) mentored the younger Falcons receivers (on how to celebrate on TV)

3.) had two huge games against the Saints

4.) ...I'm sure there were other reasons given why signing Joe Horn was a huge deal for the Falcons

WhenFalconsWin (12/14/2007)
saintmtillage (12/12/2007)
I am sure if joe signed with the packers like he should have there would be no boos. Maybe if he shut his trap he also wouldn't alienate people. Great thread btw........sarcasmoff

I doubt JH will be with us next year.

I wouldn't be so sure. It's a cap question. If I recall correctly, the deal that Horn signed wouldn't net a positive cap result from cutting him loose until after the next season. I'm not positive on the structure or the numbers, so he could become a June 1 cut, which stretches out the cap hit over two seasons, but don't be too surprised if he's around next season.

• 2 years later...

What? I forgot what I even was talking about, old threads can be hazardous... :lol:

WELL THE SAINTS LOVE HAZARDS. THEY'RE REACHING BACK AND PICKING OLD

STUFF THEY CAN USE. WE SHALL DO THE SAME. FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE. I CAN

GET DOWN IN THE DIRT WITH THE BEST OF'EM.

You still hate the accuracy of my prognostications jh, they eat at your insides. It is amazing how many of them come true.

Yeah, I guess it is amazing that this one out of hundereds actually came true, even though it was pretty much universally agreed upon. B)