It's never too early to start discussing next year's Heisman race...

Ton80Kid

Who are your top 5 choices for the Heisman, and why...

Mine are simple:

1. Tim Tebow--I see no reason to expect him to suddenly fall off everyone's radar. I seriously doubt that he'll rush for 22 TDs next season, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of him throwing for 35+TDs and rushing for 10 more...while trying to guide the Gators through the pitfalls of another SEC campaign, and who knows, possible National Championship.

2. Knowshon Moreno--Well on his way to establishing himself as the best RB in the nation next year. There will be other challengers, and he'll have to guard against injuries, which is something that seems to have to nearly every prominent UGA RB the last 10 years or so...However, if he gets the lion's share of the carries right from the gate next season, and avoids injuries and the dreaded sophomore slump, then I see no reason why he won't be a serious contender...and thanks to Tebow, the sophomore barrier has now officially been broken for the Heisman voters.

3. Graham Harrell--IMO, he's got to be a serious contender next season. He's put up nearly 10,000 yards passing to go along with 86 TDs and an obscene career QB rating near 152.0, in his first 3 years of college. He'll be a strong contender, going into his senior season.

4. Kevin Smith--This is a huge IF, considering there's serious speculation that he's coming out in the April draft, but if Smith returns for his senior season, he's going to be a heavy favorite for the Doak Walker and the Heisman. He'll be returning from a junior season that saw him lead the nation with 2448 yards (with 1 game to go) and 29 TDs on 415 attempts. His gaudy 5.9 YPC average is the best of his career...and he also managed to add a TD receiving and a TD passing. Again...this is all hinging on him returning.

5. Nate Longshore--His junior year wasn't all that he had hoped for, but he's definitely got the talent. A lot will depend on his ability to step up and finally lead the Cal Bears to the PAC 10 title, and whether or not he can overcome his checkered past when it comes to throwing the football. His HC, Jeff Tedford, is no stranger to high profile QBs, and his system and teaching techniques seem to bring out the best in the young QBs that he's tutored throughout the years...and according to him, Longshore is the best QB he's ever worked with. His stats won't come anywhere close to Harrell's, but he will have a lot more games on the national stage...it's up to him whether or not he takes advantage of them.

honorable mentions: Pat White, Curtis Painter, James Davis, Johnathan Stewart.

;)

I like your list except i think neither harrell or kevin smith will be considered. I don't like it myself, but how can you top what they did this year and they weren't even invited to new york. Graham had almost as many tds as tebow, but more yards. Kevin Smith had a monster year, but never was given a chance. We know graham is not going to be considered because he is a system qb. I am not saying it, I have heard many guys who have heisman votes say it and in his case it's used as a putdown of what he has accomplished.

I hope both those guys get serious consideration, but I doubt it.

I have the same names in my top 5 minus graham and smith.

My other top 5 is Sam Bradford from Oklahoma and Michael Crabtree (but again he will be hurt because of what people think of Texas Tech). A few other guys are matthew stafford, jonathan stewart, Jeremy Maclin.

Very surprised to see you leave Sam Bradford off your list, and your honorable mentions list. In my opinion the Top 5 Heisman candidate are:

1. Tim Tebow

2. Knowshon Moreno

3. Sam Bradford

4. Pat White

5. Johnathan Stewart (If he stays)

Kevin Smith is awesome, no doubt, but UCF doesn't play enough competition for him to ever get recognized.

My darkhorse Heisman candidate: Matt Grothe

I like your list except i think neither harrell or kevin smith will be considered. I don't like it myself, but how can you top what they did this year and they weren't even invited to new york. Graham had almost as many tds as tebow, but more yards. Kevin Smith had a monster year, but never was given a chance. We know graham is not going to be considered because he is a system qb. I am not saying it, I have heard many guys who have heisman votes say it and in his case it's used as a putdown of what he has accomplished.

My other top 5 is Sam Bradford from Oklahoma and Michael Crabtree (but again he will be hurt because of what people think of Texas Tech). A few other guys are matthew stafford, jonathan stewart, Jeremy Maclin.

Oh...trust me, I like Bradford...but as good as I think he is, I don't think he'll have that WOW factor as a sophomore...he strikes more of like a Jason White kinda guy, who will put up big numbers, but won't get serious consideration till he's a junior. Crabtree is someone I've got a strong belief in that he'll be going pro in a few weeks...there aren't a ton of WRs in this year's draft, and I believe he'll stand out too much to be passed over.

As for Harrell and Smith...I understand what you're saying, but we've had "system" QBs that were nominated, became finalists, and actually won the Heisman before...I think Harrell will get a serious push for the Heisman next year, and if his numbers are anything like they were this year, he'll be a finalist, and potentially a winner. As for Smith...you're right...it's a shame...IMO, if he declares for the draft, he'll be the No 2 RB behind McFadden...which is why I think it's a moot point considering him for the Heisman...I believe he'll be playing on Sundays next year...but I had to list for argument's sake...;)

Ton80Kid (12/10/2007)

Oh...trust me, I like Bradford...but as good as I think he is, I don't think he'll have that WOW factor as a sophomore...he strikes more of like a Jason White kinda guy, who will put up big numbers, but won't get serious consideration till he's a junior. Crabtree is someone I've got a strong belief in that he'll be going pro in a few weeks...there aren't a ton of WRs in this year's draft, and I believe he'll stand out too much to be passed over.

As for Harrell and Smith...I understand what you're saying, but we've had "system" QBs that were nominated, became finalists, and actually won the Heisman before...I think Harrell will get a serious push for the Heisman next year, and if his numbers are anything like they were this year, he'll be a finalist, and potentially a winner. As for Smith...you're right...it's a shame...IMO, if he declares for the draft, he'll be the No 2 RB behind McFadden...which is why I think it's a moot point considering him for the Heisman...I believe he'll be playing on Sundays next year...but I had to list for argument's sake...;)

Michael Crabtree was a true freshman this year, he won't be eligible for the draft for another 2 years

Headshot (12/10/2007)

Michael Crabtree was a true freshman this year, he won't be eligible for the draft for another 2 years

That has to make him the oldest true freshmen currently in college football...he's 20...however, I was mistakenly thinking he was a sophomore for some reason...his staying definitely moves him into my top 5 of my Heisman watch list next season...:P

Crabtree is a RFr.

Hmmm top heisman guys.

#1 Tebow-He will return trying to tie Archie Griffen

#2 Knowshon-His personality and production as a FR will lead to the hype, can he keep the ball rolling?

#3 Jeremy Maclin-Chase Daniel moves on and if Mizzou is here to stay Maclin will have to continue to be the Mr do everything for them WR,RB,KR,PR.

#4 Percy Harvin-think Reggie Bush 05 he might not put up ******** numbers but will have a shot at making huge plays in some huge games.

#5 LeSean McCoy-He has a chance to build on the huge win vs WVU and put a program on his back,he'll be a darkhorse but watch for him to put up huge numbers.

vickfalcons23 (12/10/2007)

Booty is a SR

1. Tebow

2. Pat White

3. Chase Daniels

4. Joe McKnight

5. Michael Crabtree

****** - I typed Booty and edited because that's not what I meant to type the I re-typed Booty

I meant McKnight - him and Stafford were my curves

I think Moreno will draw so much attention that it is going to make Stafford blow up and I just have this feeling about McKnight

Trojans wear horse-tail butt plugs

Nishka (12/10/2007)
Noel Devine :laugh:

lol.. you never know.. but there is one name i am very happy to see guys bringing up is mccoy from pitt. I have watched almost every game this year and am a huge mccoy fan and was glad to see him have a great game against wvu on a big stage.. with him and bostick next year, they are going to make some noise in the big east IMO.

Nishka (12/10/2007)

lol.. you never know.. but there is one name i am very happy to see guys bringing up is mccoy from pitt. I have watched almost every game this year and am a huge mccoy fan and was glad to see him have a great game against wvu on a big stage.. with him and bostick next year, they are going to make some noise in the big east IMO.

Pitt :angry: is not allowed to be discussed in this forum!! :P

Nishka (12/10/2007)
Nishka (12/10/2007)

Pitt :angry: is not allowed to be discussed in this forum!! :P

:w00t::w00t: i think WVU shouldnt be mention after the way they got beat.

Same Ol Falcons (12/10/2007)

****** - I typed Booty and edited because that's not what I meant to type the I re-typed Booty

I meant McKnight - him and Stafford were my curves

I think Moreno will draw so much attention that it is going to make Stafford blow up and I just have this feeling about McKnight

Trojans wear horse-tail butt plugs

Add Beenie Wells to my list at about #2

all the best inbreeding happens in Texas