So that is that.

Rev_Hal

So that is that.

What started for me a year ago when Vick gave fans the finger ended today. Vick is gone from the NFL for 2 years, with the Virginia state charges and the commissioner s suspension probably adding at least 1 more year out of the league. If Vick ever plays again (and I doubt e will), it will most likely be 2011. The one thing I can guarantee absolutely is that he will never return to the Falcons.

And now the team is left in shambles. It is not 100% Vick s fault that the offense is in the horrible shape it is in, but he shares some of the blame. When you remove the cornerstone from a building, it will collapse. Our building collapsed, and this organization is in chaos. There is one level lower than The Falcons are right now, and that is full blown mutiny. Just read the headlines about the Miami Dolphins the state of that organization is actually worse than the Falcons, believe it or not.

But the part of all of this that hurts me the most is that the Falcons have lost their star not only Vick, but the whole team. For the last 6 years, the Falcons were relevant. We mattered. For the first time ever, we were not one of the forgotten franchises. We mattered to the entire NFL We were talked about on pre game shows, sports talk radio, and newspapers. We were relevant. Now, we are back to what we were pre-Vick obscurity.

I hate obscurity. I hate that we are a franchise spiraling downward. I hate that we don t matter to the league anymore. I hate that we lost what made us special and unique.

Vick was not a great QB. He was not a horrible QB. His lack of improvement and development was a cause for concern, but he could do things that no other QB could do, and that factor alone changed the way teams defended our offense. Vick could make plays that no other QB could, and that always kept us in the game.

So today is the nail in the coffin for the Vick saga. I say fine. It s time to move on. The damage is done, and there is no sense in crying about it any longer. It s time to finish this dismal season, and for this franchise to build something new.

For me, I want a new star. I want the Falcons to matter again.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as this city/state has so much racism, we won't have a franchise.

canesftballfan (12/10/2007)
STUPID N

GETS WHAT HE DESERVED

While I'm glad that Vick is gone and that we can rebuild, I wonder if we will ever have a franchise and I also wonder if this city deserves it with so much blind hatred.

It's good to bring some finality to this mess. (Can we dump that stupid vick forum now?)

I do not think Vick could have run this spread offense anyway.

Now the good news- We are building a team that will be big, strong and fast. No more run and shoot, no more college schemes, no more gimmicks, no more Mr Nice guy coach, no more eggs all in one basket.

Give Petrino a chance to get his players in here. We all look at the Steelers and Pats as blueprints, but these teams were built over a period of time. It took Cowher 14 years to win a SB and Belichek got lucky with Brady in the 6th round. Let's hope Mr Blank has seen the light and let's hope fans will be patient.

rev_hal (12/10/2007)

So that is that.

What started for me a year ago when Vick gave fans the finger ended today. Vick is gone from the NFL for 2 years, with the Virginia state charges and the commissioner s suspension probably adding at least 1 more year out of the league. If Vick ever plays again (and I doubt e will), it will most likely be 2011. The one thing I can guarantee absolutely is that he will never return to the Falcons.

And now the team is left in shambles. It is not 100% Vick s fault that the offense is in the horrible shape it is in, but he shares some of the blame. When you remove the cornerstone from a building, it will collapse. Our building collapsed, and this organization is in chaos. There is one level lower than The Falcons are right now, and that is full blown mutiny. Just read the headlines about the Miami Dolphins the state of that organization is actually worse than the Falcons, believe it or not.

But the part of all of this that hurts me the most is that the Falcons have lost their star not only Vick, but the whole team. For the last 6 years, the Falcons were relevant. We mattered. For the first time ever, we were not one of the forgotten franchises. We mattered to the entire NFL We were talked about on pre game shows, sports talk radio, and newspapers. We were relevant. Now, we are back to what we were pre-Vick obscurity.

I hate obscurity. I hate that we are a franchise spiraling downward. I hate that we don t matter to the league anymore. I hate that we lost what made us special and unique.

Vick was not a great QB. He was not a horrible QB. His lack of improvement and development was a cause for concern, but he could do things that no other QB could do, and that factor alone changed the way teams defended our offense. Vick could make plays that no other QB could, and that always kept us in the game.

So today is the nail in the coffin for the Vick saga. I say fine. It s time to move on. The damage is done, and there is no sense in crying about it any longer. It s time to finish this dismal season, and for this franchise to build something new.

For me, I want a new star. I want the Falcons to matter again.

I'm sure so many others share your emotions...this is very difficult for everyone. It's tragic all the way around.

This is the low point. I encourage everyone to watch the Arthur Blank interview on AF.com at 2:30. It's being taped early this afternoon, and he's going to address both the Vick sentencing today and the future of the Falcons.

He commited the crime, he's got to do the time, but in all honesty I feel sorry for Vick now. He not only has lost his football career, but any career that would have come after that. Look at what John Elway or Michael Jordon have done since their retirement. Vick could of had a life like that, but has blown his chance.

Reminds me of the story of Esau, who traded his birthright for a bowl of stew.

Vick traded stardom, his football career, any career he could of had after football, and millions of dollars for dogfighting. It makes you sad to see someone lose that much because of a foolish decision.

grendel (12/10/2007)
Great post rev, and 100% correct.

I don't care so much about a single star, myself. I want us to use the Vick years as an example that it's more important to have a great TEAM rather than a superstar and some other guys who try to help him.

Cosign that.

Good post, rev.

Moderator (12/10/2007)
rev_hal (12/10/2007)

So that is that.

I'm sure so many others share your emotions...this is very difficult for everyone. It's tragic all the way around.

This is the low point. I encourage everyone to watch the Arthur Blank interview on AF.com at 2:30. It's being taped early this afternoon, and he's going to address both the Vick sentencing today and the future of the Falcons.

I am COMPLETELY convinced that Blank is dedicated to bringing a winning franchise to Atlanta. I do not doubt his sincerity in the slightest. We jsut have not found the formula yet, and I hope we are on the right track.

RODDY NATION (12/10/2007)
Mod I'm not trying to be smartass, but are the Falcons thinking about something to help ease the STH's pain this season?? Seriously they should give us something..a banquet with the players or something??
why don't you just watch your NEW team tear up the league this year and quit acting like a falcons fan?

seriously Blank needs to think about moving the team, because the Dome is going to be sooooo empty that you will be able to buy a cheap tix and walk all the way down to the lower level and sit at the 50 yd line. I remember those days :cool:

We'll be sorry to see you go, but I can assure you of a few things:

1) We will rebuild this team to prominence.

2) One player is NOT bigger than this team. It may look like it now, but things are always darkest before the dawn.

3) We'll miss you as a fan - it's a shame you won't come along for the ride.

2011 at the earliest.

This is what we need to focus on. That's three years from now. The Falcons won't wait three years for Vick to come back (nor would any other team). They'll find a replacement.

Vicks not comming back to the Falcons. Ever. If everyone can just accept this one point, we can start to rebuild the team (and the fan base) and focus on the future instead of the past.

Moderator (12/10/2007)
seriously Blank needs to think about moving the team, because the Dome is going to be sooooo empty that you will be able to buy a cheap tix and walk all the way down to the lower level and sit at the 50 yd line. I remember those days :cool:

2) One player is NOT bigger than this team. It may look like it now, but things are always darkest before the dawn.

It's refreshing to see this kind of attitude come out of the Falcons organization. It's been hard to hope this year, but we need a huge helping of it!

Mod I don't want to go. I have been a Falcon Fan since 88'. I'm just disgusted right now. I feel like us fans have really took it on the chin this season. I have 6 seats and its hard for me to even get people to come to the games with me. I have not been to a Falcon Game since the NY Giants game. In all honesty everyone is hurting and yes we need to move foward, but its a very bitter taste in our mouths right now. A taste that I honestly don't wish on any NFL Fan.:angry:

And dont forget how cold those games were in New England were!:w00t::w00t:

Moderator (12/10/2007)

Hear, Hear!!

Let the bandwagoners go find another idol to worship. Good riddance.

GO FALCONS!